Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-13-2009, 03:24 PM   #1
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
ePub meta data

A question from an ignorant. I have been trying to check before asking, but I did not find the answer yet.
Does ePub standard(s) include metadata such as mobipocket (book title, author, etc.) ?
Where can I find a reference, eventually ?

Thanks in advance.
edit : I meant data that readers today are capable of reading, and displaying. Are there readers (on ebooks) capable of this ?

Bruno

Last edited by brudigia; 04-13-2009 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Incomplete and misleading question!!
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Yes.

http://www.openebook.org/2007/opf/OP...inal_spec.html

Iirc, there was a more in-depth specification/documentation but alas, I couldn't find that specific link right now.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2009, 05:50 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudigia View Post
A question from an ignorant. I have been trying to check before asking, but I did not find the answer yet.
Does ePub standard(s) include metadata such as mobipocket (book title, author, etc.) ?
Where can I find a reference, eventually ?

Thanks in advance.
edit : I meant data that readers today are capable of reading, and displaying. Are there readers (on ebooks) capable of this ?

Bruno
the first place you might want to look for data of this kind or anything related to terms, formats, etc. for eBooks is the wiki. The wiki is a click away at the top of this page. The ePUB article provides you with the data you seek and links for more in depth stuff.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:35 AM   #4
richardigp
Enthusiast
richardigp began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Here's the exact link for ePub package metadata. http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf/OPF_2.0...tml#Section2.2

It's part of the package specification and most reader devices show the metadata, at least the big Five. Title, Author (Creator), Identifier, Publisher, Date. Standard DC (Dublin Core Metadata - the big international standard for this stuff) is allowed, and all metadata fields can repeat. In addition DC supports Contributor, Description, Rights, Subject, Source, Extent and a number of other arcane fields and attributes. All these can be included. How much of this is available through a reader interface is the decision of the reader developers.

There is one big over-riding rule. There has to be one Metadata identifier that is referenced from package unique-identifier attributed. There also must be at least one Title.

Ultimately metadata can be as big as you want, use various DTD schemes, for example Metadata on age suitability, learning descriptors, or just put your own MD fields in using the HTML method <meta name="Cover-Colour" content="blue" />
but it gets pretty techie to implement. Anyway, there's plenty of Metadata to go around in ePub

Last edited by richardigp; 04-23-2009 at 11:36 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
richardigp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
MidGart
MidGart began at the beginning.

Device: none
Yes, it includes metadata. You can find some information at the link upstairs
MidGart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert