Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-01-2016, 02:05 PM   #451
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
The concept behind the "auto light adjustment" (Voyage only, I think) suggests that in the darkness, you use a very low light setting. This helps avoid eye strain, etc.

Have you tried a lower setting (5 or so) rather than your 19? I admit I only recently turned the auto-adjust back on, but I liked it while recently reading in the complete dark (in a trailer; conserving the battery lights).

Perhaps not, but you *might* like it lower if you tried.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:34 PM   #452
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Reading with a low light setting in the dark on eink strains my eyes. It's why I don't miss Auto brightness on the Oasis. Didn't use it on the Voyage.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Last edited by SCION; 07-01-2016 at 05:37 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2016, 07:24 PM   #453
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobayashi View Post
+1 The Kobo H20 doesn't have a massive color gradient or light cones under those same "extreme" conditions. Why can't Amazon build an e-reader to the same standards as Kobo?
I can't be sure, but I think that they are doing it JUST to annoy you.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:43 PM   #454
kobayashi
Groupie
kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by webjunk View Post
Two Oasis. Two good screens. Two PW1, two PW2, two PW3 - all good screens.
And yet, no proof. Hmmmm.
kobayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:54 PM   #455
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobayashi View Post
And yet, no proof. Hmmmm.
Why can't you take people at their word?
Why do you need proof?
Are you trying for a class action lawsuit against Amazon? That is the only logical reason I can think of for constantly asking for proof.
People here have no reason to lie about their devices.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2016, 08:56 PM   #456
Shinytop
Connoisseur
Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Mr Maru is under the impression we are obligated to prove something to him.
Shinytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:46 PM   #457
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
Don't fret, kobayashi. I agree! Based on this thread alone and the replies therein I too am of the opinion that a normal, functional Oasis screen does not exist. I'm not too bummed.
It does seem a whole lot worse NOT being able to see any faults though! Not sure which is worse - having a faulty screen or a good one!
Happy reading

Last edited by cerem0ny; 07-01-2016 at 11:20 PM.
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:12 AM   #458
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Some people are less susceptible to the color gradients/color shifts. So while you may see them, others may not and in that case, the screen is good to them and not you. So just accept that the to others the screen can be good and to you maybe not.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:17 PM   #459
kobayashi
Groupie
kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Some people are less susceptible to the color gradients/color shifts. So while you may see them, others may not and in that case, the screen is good to them and not you. So just accept that the to others the screen can be good and to you maybe not.
Thank you for proving my point. Not sure why others are still having so much trouble understanding. Oh well.
kobayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:17 PM   #460
Shinytop
Connoisseur
Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Shinytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:44 PM   #461
Luv2ReadnCreate
Luv2ReadnCreate began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis, PW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The fact that you consider it unwise doesn't mean that everyone shares your view. Even people on low incomes sometimes save up to buy nice things!
Well said! My husband and I are in our 40s. We have no children, no credit card debt, no mortgage payments and no car payments. We're not upper class by any means, but those things allow us to live very comfortably on a much smaller yearly income than otherwise would be possible.

Last edited by Luv2ReadnCreate; 07-06-2016 at 12:38 AM.
Luv2ReadnCreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:33 AM   #462
happysnapper22
Connoisseur
happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2 & PW3
WHAT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Bezos is the proper name so the apostrophe would go after the name for a possessive. Also for the plural. Let's go to the Bezos' house. Note the plural because it is Jeff and Jane.

At ceremony don't worry about it. There is usually no apostrophe in a proper name. And nouns that end in s are a pain even for native speakers.
I got kicked out of school (many years ago) with a crappy not worth the paper its written on CSE qualification in English. This was the qualification invented for those too thick to do O levels. I'll be eternally grateful for this and not having to worry about where to stick my apostrophe!
happysnapper22 is offline   Reply With Quote