Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-17-2014, 11:19 AM   #46
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@1Bookworm: Is that a PW1 or a PW2? You can't go below 5.4.0 on a PW2.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:01 PM   #47
1Bookworm
Enthusiast
1Bookworm doesn't litter1Bookworm doesn't litter

Device: blackberry, laptop, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@1Bookworm: Is that a PW1 or a PW2? You can't go below 5.4.0 on a PW2.
Thank you NiLuJe - It is PW1.

I can still see Ameho's downgrade and folder in the PW1 directory.
1Bookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2014, 10:28 PM   #48
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then you must have done something wrong. Check that you don't have pending OTA updates queued, restart the device, and try again.

It should be as simple as: unzip in usb root, put official update file in udpate folder, eject, hit update.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:57 PM   #49
1Bookworm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Then you must have done something wrong. Check that you don't have pending OTA updates queued, restart the device, and try again.

It should be as simple as: unzip in usb root, put official update file in udpate folder, eject, hit update.

Sorry NiLuJe for the dumb questions but what are OTA updates? Also I started the PW1 without wifi. Is that correct? Also the update file I used was the 5.3.9 on this thread. Is this the correct one?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:08 PM   #50
NiLuJe
BLAM!

OTA = Over The Air.

Provided it's a WiFi-only device, yeah, you should leave wireless off, but make sure the root is clear anyway, and then restart the device.

And yeah, that is indeed a valid PW1 update file.
Advert
Old 06-19-2014, 03:53 AM   #51
1Bookworm
Enthusiast

Quote:
OTA = Over The Air.

Provided it's a WiFi-only device, yeah, you should leave wireless off, but make sure the root is clear anyway, and then restart the device.

And yeah, that is indeed a valid PW1 update file.
Hi NiLuJe

This is what is currently in my PW1:-

1) .active_content_sandbox (folder)
2) documents (folder)

I just copy the update folder (which has the 5.3.9 file in it) and Ameho's file: update_zh_$(cd mnt && cd us && sh zh.sh) straight onto the PW1?

Also there was another file in Ameho's attachment: zh.sh Do I copy this too?

Thank you for your patience in answering my questions.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:44 AM   #52
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
yes and yes.

The zh.sh file is the one that runs the update. The update*.bin file cause zh.sh to run.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #53
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I'd go so far as to just straight up unzip the archive to the USB root, and let your archiver program do the job, that should ensure nothing mangles the filenames.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:35 AM   #54
1Bookworm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
yes and yes.

The zh.sh file is the one that runs the update. The update*.bin file cause zh.sh to run.
Hi Eschwartz and NiLuJe - that was my problem the first time - I didn't copy that zh.sh file.

My PW1 is now on version 5.3.9.

Thank you so much for all your help

Old 06-22-2014, 12:57 PM   #55
Bookworm456
Bookworm456 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite v.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Don't know if the Kindle stops you from downgrading it, but can you confirm you got the update.bin from a reputable source? Like this one: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-updates.php

There are a few PW1 updates you didn't mention...
I asked Amazon how to downgrade, and they said that they provide for no way of doing this. In otherwords, they are the only ones to control your Kindle firmware.
Bookworm456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:41 PM   #56
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm456 View Post
I asked Amazon how to downgrade, and they said that they provide for no way of doing this. In otherwords, they are the only ones to control your Kindle firmware.
... other than dsmid, ixtab, NiLuJe, knc1, twobob...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:59 PM   #57
Arclight
Arclight began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW (1st Gen)
Not intending to hijack your thread but I am new to the forums. My PW(1stGen) had firmware version 5.3.4 and I was happy with it. Somehow, I stupidly updated to 5.4.4 and hated it.

I discovered this thread and re-read it about five times till it sort of sunk in. I then downloaded all the files you guys mentioned and gave it a try.

Success on the first try!!! I am now back to old 5.3.4--where I want to be. Thanks for all the files, knowledge and thread instruction help.

I am going to keep reading the forums and attempt a jailbreak.

Thx again
Arc
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:33 PM   #58
Arclight

After success as mentioned in my previous post, I attempted to manually load two new fonts. When I went to the font selection page, the PW locked up and would not show/list the fonts.

I hooked back up thru usb and deleted all the font files and etc. Ejected the PW from computer and turned it back on.

Now I have a blank white page with a blank black rectangle on it. I can not get anything else.

Any help how to unlock it?

===============================

OK, I got it unlocked and it works. Guess I will not try to load any new fonts.

I was using the method: "USE ALT FONTS" and a Fonts Folder with arial.ttf and georgia.ttf inside.

Last edited by Arclight; 06-25-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:10 PM   #59
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Arclight: I don't see a fontconfig cache update step here, which probably didn't help, but it's also likely that the framework simply doesn't like one/both of the fonts (it happens, which is part of what the Font Hack can work around).
Old 06-25-2014, 03:35 PM   #60
Arclight

Quote:
@Arclight: I don't see a fontconfig cache update step here, which probably didn't help, but it's also likely that the framework simply doesn't like one/both of the fonts (it happens, which is part of what the Font Hack can work around).
I used this manual update technique before and it worked. However, it may have been on my old K3.

Where can I read abt the "font hack" ?

Tags
downgrade