Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-03-2014, 04:19 AM   #1
Badakongdonk
Badakongdonk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Stuck on "DIAGS EXIT"

I was following instructions from something or other and when in the menu I selected 'install fastboot'. It then went to the "DIAGS EXIT" screen which is where I'm stuck now.

I've been trying both MFGtool and fastboot and neither of those seem to be working. But I also can't get the fastboot driver to install due to a Windows error: "A service installation section of this INF is invalid." And I don't know what else to do.

So maybe someone can at least tell me if this device is permanently bricked or not.

Thank you much
Badakongdonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:32 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badakongdonk View Post
I was following instructions from something or other and when in the menu I selected 'install fastboot'. It then went to the "DIAGS EXIT" screen which is where I'm stuck now.

I've been trying both MFGtool and fastboot and neither of those seem to be working. But I also can't get the fastboot driver to install due to a Windows error: "A service installation section of this INF is invalid." And I don't know what else to do.

So maybe someone can at least tell me if this device is permanently bricked or not.

Thank you much
It would be easier to answer if we knew what you had done already.
At least a link to the:
"I was following instructions from something or other"
and how far you have (had) gotten.

Are you certain of which model Kindle you have?
Where did you get the utilities that you are using?

Was any of the above from this site?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2014, 05:52 AM   #3
Badakongdonk

The utilities were linked by certain users when responding to others. Do you need those links?

Originally I was trying to downgrade (using diags) through this method: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/README.txt. I was up to step 4, in the process of accessing my Kindle through SSH, when I went through the menu and hit install fastboot by accident.
I didn't overwrite anything, I didn't actually get to touch any of the files, so they remain untouched, it's just the kindle that's stuck.

I have a Kindle Paperwhite 2.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:59 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badakongdonk View Post
The utilities were linked by certain users when responding to others. Do you need those links?

Originally I was trying to downgrade (using diags) through this method: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/README.txt. I was up to step 4, in the process of accessing my Kindle through SSH, when I went through the menu and hit install fastboot by accident.
I didn't overwrite anything, I didn't actually get to touch any of the files, so they remain untouched, it's just the kindle that's stuck.

I have a Kindle Paperwhite 2.
Hmm...
You are following the directions for a Kindle Touch while having a second generation Kindle Paperwhite.
(Different SoC / cpu / gpu - about the only thing the same is the case and the name.
I certainly hope you did not put the KT or PW1 firmware files on the device.
There is a different process / set of directions for downgrading a PW2. )

Let us see if we can get you out of this corner you painted yourself into.

Did you complete step 3?
I.E: Can you ssh into the Kindle?
(It may not be "stuck" - some of the steps do not change the screen display.)

If not, then you didn't make it to step 4 (yet).

- - - -

PS: Stop trying to do this under Windows -
Boot your PC with the Kubrick Live CD (it runs Linux, memory resident), and then access the Kubrick command line (alt-f3) for the manual tools.)

Last edited by knc1; 07-03-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:11 AM   #5
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Try to reboot the device by holding the power button for ~20 seconds.
If you get working diags menu after the reboot, follow these instructions:

1. Tap on "S) Device settings"
2. Tap on "X) Exit"
3. Tap on "D) Exit, Reboot or Disable diags"
4. Tap on "D) Disable diagnostics"
5. Tap on "Q) To continue"
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2014, 09:47 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

This is a PW2 -
The "Disable Diagnostics" **may not** remove the ENABLE_DIAGS flag file.
(On the PW2, that file is part of the rescue pack, not part of the Amazon firmware.)

The O.P. may have to export the USB storage, and then delete the ENABLE_DIAGS flag file before the above sequence will work.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:50 AM   #7
Badakongdonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Did you complete step 3?
I.E: Can you ssh into the Kindle?
(It may not be "stuck" - some of the steps do not change the screen display.)

If not, then you didn't make it to step 4 (yet).
Yes, that sounds about right. I wasn't able to get my SSH client to connect though. If I were able to SSH would that solve the issue?
Old 07-03-2014, 09:52 AM   #8
Badakongdonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
1. Tap on "S) Device settings"
I can't access that menu right now.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #9
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm sorry, couldn't resist
Old 07-03-2014, 10:30 AM   #10
Badakongdonk

Nah, I probably deserve it.

But the thing just isn't responding. If I hold the power button, it will flash the screen and activate the led at the bottom, which I'm sure is meant for something else.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:55 AM   #11
dsmid
Linux devotee

The power button should be held for quite a long time (20 s).
Don't get distracted by the LED, it is not an indicator that you can release the button as it may appear.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:01 AM   #12
Badakongdonk

No dice.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:09 AM   #13
dsmid
Linux devotee

That's bad.
Your last hope is the device is in fastboot mode and is able to respond to fastboot requests.
Try Kubrick and the fastboot utility it contains:
Code:
cd /media/cdrom/kubrick
./fastboot getvar bootmode

Last edited by dsmid; 07-03-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:25 AM   #14
Badakongdonk

Thanks.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:56 AM   #15
Badakongdonk

Oh wow , it worked!