Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: October 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells 19 31.15%
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley 3 4.92%
The Turn Of The Screw by Henry James 2 3.28%
Storm Front by Jim Butcher 12 19.67%
The Haunting Of Hill House by Shirley Jackson 8 13.11%
The Great and Secret Show by Clive Barker 2 3.28%
Anno Dracula by Kim Newman 5 8.20%
Hell House by Richard Matheson 4 6.56%
Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin 4 6.56%
The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole 2 3.28%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-2011, 01:59 PM   #76
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
New mobi version (2.0) of The Island of Doctor Moreau by H.G. Wells just uploaded to our library, with several changes, some corrections, a linked Table of Contents, and a new cover.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=150886
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #77
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^Groovy.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #78
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

So I finished The Island of Dr. Moreau a few days ago. I'll obviously wait on any detailed review for the start of the discussion. I will say that I have found most H.G. Wells books entertaining adventures, but found this the most thought provoking.

I would echo The Terminator. I did not find it especially scary or even horrifying. It could be made into quite the horrifying film depending on how graphic the filmmaker wished to go, but neither of the film versions I have seen were at all that. As I said previously, more just silly.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:22 PM   #79
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I thought it was more science-fiction than horror.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #80
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Next October, I suggest that the books nominated actually be scarey. We have too many nominated that aren't.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2011, 02:59 AM   #81
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Next October, I suggest that the books nominated actually be scarey. We have too many nominated that aren't.
Good luck with that. It's rare that I stumble across a horror book that's actually scarey. I can usually tell that they are supposed to be scarey to someone, but that person is nearly never myself.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:54 AM   #82
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Add in that what is scary to some isn't scary to others and the different types of scares and it's harder to get a title that's scary for everyone.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:27 AM   #83
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Plus, there are those of us (like myself) that might like to be surprised, shocked, or kept on the edge of our seats, but not necessarily scared.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #84
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

In the Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading? thread, Pookeysgirl seems to feel this one was a spine chiller. Maybe keep this in mind for next October:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ostcount=10970
Old 10-07-2011, 02:35 AM   #85
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
In the Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading? thread, Pookeysgirl seems to feel this one was a spine chiller. Maybe keep this in mind for next October:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ostcount=10970
If it's ever available internationally as an ebook I guess. Last time I checked, I couldn't get it in Australia unless I missed it.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:46 AM   #86
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
If it's ever available internationally as an ebook I guess. Last time I checked, I couldn't get it in Australia unless I missed it.
The 40th anniversary edition was released this past Tuesday Oct 4th. Have you checked since then?
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:56 PM   #87
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
The 40th anniversary edition was released this past Tuesday Oct 4th. Have you checked since then?
Yep - not at Amazon at least.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:59 PM   #88
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Finished the book. Yay - I'll be participating this month.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:32 PM   #89
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
With approx. 80 pages to go I had planned on finishing this tonight, but now I just don't feel like it. I have a very busy week ahead of me, but I will work on finishing the story. I might just be a day or two late. I'm very curious to know how he ends up where he does by the end of the book, and what kind of explanation, if any, he gets from the two on the island.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:28 AM   #90
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The best film adaptation of the book is 1932's Island of Lost Souls with Charles Laughton as Moreau and Bela Lugosi as The Sayer of the Law.

http://www.mountainx.com/movies/revi...e#.Tpwt97KpPT4
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1042...of_lost_souls/

Last edited by BenG; 10-17-2011 at 09:31 AM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote