Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: October 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells 19 31.15%
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley 3 4.92%
The Turn Of The Screw by Henry James 2 3.28%
Storm Front by Jim Butcher 12 19.67%
The Haunting Of Hill House by Shirley Jackson 8 13.11%
The Great and Secret Show by Clive Barker 2 3.28%
Anno Dracula by Kim Newman 5 8.20%
Hell House by Richard Matheson 4 6.56%
Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin 4 6.56%
The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole 2 3.28%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I believe the people have spoken, and voting via PM is out.

The good news is that I've heard from the powers-that-be, and the possibility of adding a poll option that would allow the results to be hidden until the poll ends is being looked into.
Very nice. Thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:53 AM   #62
jgsmith
Connoisseur
jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Kobo Touch, Kindle PW2
Have we ever figured out what percentage of people that voted, actually read the book selected? The discussions around nominations and voting seem to surpass the book discussion thread by a wide margin. Just wonderin...

Jim
jgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2011, 12:13 PM   #63
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't think we know and given the lag in reading for some people. Here's some raw numbers. It looks like the overall percentage of participation (number of people commenting [users] against the number of votes a winner received [votes] is better for the literary club). In total participation seems to be almost 100%.

Code:
Regular
Month  Category    Title                                   Votes   Comments   Users
-----  --------    --------------------------------------  -----   --------   -----
Jan    RunnerUps   The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy      21       89        39
Feb    Romance     A Room with a View                        21       34        17
Mar    NonFiction  The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin    15       25        11
Apr    Humour      Hal Spacejock #1                          14       51        18
May    Classic     Anna Karenina                             23       34        16
Jun    Thriller    The Maltese Falcon                        19       50        16
Jul    Fantasy     The Name of the Wind                      17       44        22
Aug    FreeForAll  Slaughterhouse Five                       22       27        16
Sep    Mystery     The Chinese Maze Murders                  21       11         4

Literary
Month  Category            Title                      Votes   Comments   Users
-----  ------------------  ------------------------   -----   --------   -----
Jun    FreeForAll          The Master and Margarita	14       87       18
Jul    Highly Challenging  Bleak House                  14       39       11
Aug    Lottery             A Passage to India            0       30        9
Sep    Non-Fiction         Unbroken                      6        6        6
I'm really surprised that we've only had four people involved in the Regular Book Club for September. Sure it's early, but four people? For one of the more popular genre's around. Even if I never venture down the mystery aisle at the bookstore, I read this one and am participating in the discussion.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:05 PM   #64
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Well, the poll is closed and the winner is The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells, which I just finished reading 5 minutes ago. Discussion thread will be posted on October 20th.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:11 PM   #65
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
You know...I really had no intention of reading the book for this month, becuase I really don't like being scared, but the enthusiasm in Tom's post has convinced me to give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Today I finished reading the MobileRead Book Club's October selection, The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells. It was fascinating and filled with interesting symbolism, but more I won't say until the discussion, which begins October 20th.
It also doesn't hurt that I do actually have a copy of the book thanks to the MobileRead library.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #66
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

So I have sufficiently washed my brain of recollections of the two film versions to start reading The Island of Dr. Moreau. A valiant attempt to bring this to screen was made both times, with high production values and big name stars, but sometimes what reads well is just silly on screen despite the best efforts.

I was hoping that Frankenstein would have come out on top. That should have made for a good discussion. If anyone out there has never read this you really should. The connection to any of the film versions I am aware off is very slight..
Old 09-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #67
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Sorry I forgot about this, I'm going to start reading it now
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:49 PM   #68
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
P.S Nyssa I've read it before and it really isn't scary only a little creepy. No trouble sleeping after reading it
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:26 PM   #69
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
P.S Nyssa I've read it before and it really isn't scary only a little creepy. No trouble sleeping after reading it
Very good to know. Thank you. I plan to start reading soon...no later than the 1st of October. My copy is part of An HG Wells Novel Omnibus posted by Crich. It doesn't look like a very long story, so I should have plenty of time to read it.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:37 PM   #70
Nyssa
Series Addict

Three chapters in and Skullcrusher Mountain by Jonathan Coulton comes to mind.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #71
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've just started reading this and am looking forward to it.

Out of interest, I didn't vote or participate in mystery month. I was just starting my indie review site and concentrated instead on getting some indie books read and reviewed.

I do have the book though - it was available for free at some stage. One day I'll read it - which is what I think about all of my 400-500 ebooks that I've picked up since buying an eReader.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:13 PM   #72
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I've just started reading this and am looking forward to it.

Out of interest, I didn't vote or participate in mystery month. I was just starting my indie review site and concentrated instead on getting some indie books read and reviewed.

I do have the book though - it was available for free at some stage. One day I'll read it - which is what I think about all of my 400-500 ebooks that I've picked up since buying an eReader.
One of the things I like about this book club is that you can go back and join or restart the discussion for a selected book at any time. Plus, even if you see the "this thread is old" message, thread revival seems to be encouraged here, or at least not looked down upon like on some other forums.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:22 PM   #73
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've never understood the stigma to bringing up old threads. Forum membership changes, sometimes you miss threads, and often people have more information to add.

I'm rather disappointed by the discussion of Mystery month. For an apparently popular genre there's only been four of us participating in the discussion so far. And I don't even read mysteries.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:34 PM   #74
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
One of the things I like about this book club is that you can go back and join or restart the discussion for a selected book at any time.
Yeah, I still owe the literary club some discussion on Passage to India which I've sidelined for the moment. And that's one I did vote on.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:07 AM   #75
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I've never understood the stigma to bringing up old threads. Forum membership changes, sometimes you miss threads, and often people have more information to add.

I'm rather disappointed by the discussion of Mystery month. For an apparently popular genre there's only been four of us participating in the discussion so far. And I don't even read mysteries.
Exactly! I'm not sure why other forums frown upon it either. If anything it helps cut down on the clutter, since there's less chance of having 5 threads about the exact same thing (not that its helped in the case of the recent Kindle announcements! )

As for September's Mystery selection, I discussed the book I voted for; it just didn't happen to be the winning book
I am sorry the discussion didn't go far. I guess for that particular selection people enjoyed reading it much more than they did discussing it. Hopefully it'll pick up again, this month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Yeah, I still owe the literary club some discussion on Passage to India which I've sidelined for the moment. And that's one I did vote on.
Well, whenever you're ready, I'm sure they'll love to hear what you have to say.