Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 09-20-2011, 09:03 AM   #16
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I love horror. I'm going to nominate the best first novel winner in the Bram Stoker awards for 2010.

Black and Orange by Benjamin Kane Ethridge.

http://www.inkmesh.com/ebooks/black-...ack+and+orange
i'll 2nd Black and Orange
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:26 AM   #17
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
I second Storm Front (it's the third time I vote for it, but IMHO it does not qualify exactly as "Horror"...) and Shelley's Frankenstein.
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2011, 12:17 PM   #18
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Are you saying you second Frankenstein or are you saying you don't think it's horror?
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #19
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
A special note of thanks to BenG, caleb72, and DiapDealer for the Inkmesk links!

It's not necessary, but it makes our job easier!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #20
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Format C: View Post
I second Storm Front (it's the third time I vote for it, but IMHO it does not qualify exactly as "Horror"...)
If you don't think it's horror, then why are you seconding it for the horror month?
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2011, 01:49 PM   #21
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I second The Great and Secret Show.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #22
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I will third Frankenstein.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:04 PM   #23
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool hmmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Format C: View Post
I second Storm Front (it's the third time I vote for it, but IMHO it does not qualify exactly as "Horror"...) and Shelley's Frankenstein.
i think that your 'does not qualify exactly' statement is pointing out a fallacy (can't think of a better word right now) in our human need to classify things. taken on its prime elments, the dresden files series of novels can be easily classified in crime, mystery, fantasy, horror and even romance (well, not so much).

for instance, using this quote from the 2nd dresden novel, 'fool moon', how would you classify this novel?
Quote:
“They’re killing people, and if we don’t stop them they’re going kill a lot more. Especially me, because I know too much. I’m a danger to them. But I don’t want that. I don’t want anyone to get killed. Not us, and not them. Maybe they deserve it. Maybe not. The power they grabbed has turned into a drug for them, and they’re not really in control of themselves anymore. I just don’t think we’d be much different than them if we went in there planning to wipe them out. It isn’t enough to stand up and fight darkness. You’ve got to stand apart from it, too. You’ve got to be different from it.”
certainly not horror, but the novel is full of werewolves.

Last edited by alansplace; 09-20-2011 at 06:10 PM. Reason: add some stuff
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:36 PM   #24
4E1984
Banned
4E1984 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I would like to nominate "Sven the Zombie Slayer" by Guy James.
It combines horror with humor and written in a very good contemporary American.
4E1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:37 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
storm front by jim butcher

From the first sentence this book takes off and kept me breathless to the end. Well OK, I was able to catch my breath but poor Harry hardly ever does. The Harry here is Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden and the narrator seems to "get" him as much as the author does. The book starts with a pair of grisly murders and Harry has been brought in on the case by the Captain of Chicago's Special Investigations unit. There is a mob connection and a drug connection and people that seem to want Harry dead.

This is NOT horror. It's urban fantasy (as much as I dislike this category).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:31 PM   #26
voodooblues
Connoisseur
voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.voodooblues got an A in P-Chem.

Device: iPad(3 or HD or whatever), iPad Mini, Kindle 7" hdx, Samsung 7 tab 3
I would like to nominate "Huckleberry Finn and Zombie Jim" by Mark Twain and W. Bill Czolgosz. A book that caught my attention and is on my TBR list.

Free at last! Free at last! This ain't your grandfather's Huckleberry Finn. It's nineteenth century America and a mutant strain of tuberculosis is bringing its victims back from the dead. Sometimes they come back docile, and other times vicious. The vicious ones are sent back to Hell, but the docile ones are put to work as servants and laborers. With so many zombies on the market, the slave trade is nonexistent. The black man is at liberty, and human bondage is no more. Young Huckleberry Finn has grown up in a world that shuns the N-word, with its scornful eye set on a new class of shambling, putrid sub-humans: The Baggers. When his abusive father comes back into his life, Huck flees down the river with Bagger Jim, seeking a life of perfect freedom. When the pox mutates once again, causing even the tamest of baggers to become bloodthirsty monsters, the boy Finn is forced to question his relationship with his dearest, deadest friend. In this revised take on history and classic literature, the modern age is ending before it ever begins. Huckleberry Finn will inherit a world of horror and death, and he knows the mighty Mississippi might be the only way out...
voodooblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd like to nominate Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen & Seth Grahame-Smith.

Quote:
"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains." So begins Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, an expanded edition of the beloved Jane Austen novel featuring all-new scenes of bone-crunching zombie mayhem. As our story opens, a mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton-and the dead are returning to life! Feisty heroine Elizabeth Bennet is determined to wipe out the zombie menace, but she's soon distracted by the arrival of the haughty and arrogant Mr. Darcy. What ensues is a delightful comedy of manners with plenty of civilized sparring between the two young lovers-and even more violent sparring on the blood-soaked battlefield as Elizabeth wages war against hordes of flesh-eating undead. Can she vanquish the spawn of Satan? And overcome the social prejudices of the class-conscious landed gentry? Complete with romance, heartbreak, swordfights, cannibalism, and thousands of rotting corpses, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies transforms a masterpiece of world literature into something you'd actually want to read.
BRAINS!
Old 09-21-2011, 12:57 AM   #28
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Post #2 is updated to this point and there are now 2 fully nominated books.

Please let us know if you note any errors.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:00 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Post #2 is updated to this point and there are now 2 fully nominated books.

Please let us know if you note any errors.
Storm Front is an error. It's not a horror story.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:40 AM   #30
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Storm Front is an error. It's not a horror story.
I found the book listed at the below sites under a mostly Fantasy Genre.

Storm Front by Jim Butcher
ebook Subjects: Fantasy, Science Fiction And Fantasy, Contemporary
(Audiobook) Subjects: Modern Detective, Mysteries / Crime, Crime & Thrillers

Books on Board - Fiction - Fantasy - General
Little, Brown Book Group - Urban Fantasy
Diesel eBook Store - Fantasy
Amazon - Fantasy > Magic & Wizards, Fantasy > Contemporary

So, it appears that Storm Front is not a Horror choice.

I'll wait for the Grand Muckity-Muck to chime in on this.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book club, horror, october 2011