Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 08-09-2011, 02:34 AM   #1
garyhgaryh
Zealot
garyhgaryh began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Tethering to the PE

Has anyone successfully tethered a device to their PE? I want to tether a Motorola Droid on Verizon to the PE.

Will I have issues with the carrier?

Thanks,
Gary
garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:34 AM   #2
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
You mean Tether with a cable or wirelessly? I had no luck on my Verizon Fascinate..but that isn't saying much, even though I rooted the phone, I haven't been able to get any of my devices working. I don't think PE sees Ad-Hoc connections. Even my devices that do connect pull for a minute then stop.

Before Verizon broke my root with an update back in April, (Didn't have a PE or EE then) all my devices could connect so I'm not sure its me or if its something they've done. I'm out of contract, I've actually been thinking of going back to a dumb phone and just buying a 3g Hotspot. They make it to much of a pain to own a smartphone now. First they force you to take a data plan, then they do everything they can to keep you from using it. I'm about fed up with all of them.

Last edited by Synergi; 08-09-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2011, 09:05 AM   #3
syclone
Zealot
syclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge iPhone 4S IPad 1 iPad 2 Nook Touch 4 Palm Pilot
Tethering

It's been my experience that if you have a wifi capable device, it will pair with a tether enabled phone, the same way it will see a wifi router.

The problem comes in when your carrier detects an unusual volume of data. I jailbroke and enabled tethering on my iPhone 3G earlier this year. I have an unlimited data plan with ATT. Nevertheless, after 3 months of downloading over 3 gigs of data a month, ATT sent me a letter and an email telling me that it suspected that I had been utilizing tethering without enabling their tethering plan (which, by the way, is not unlimited) and that they were going to unilaterally end my unlimited data and enroll me in their tethering plan. I didn't need to tether any more at that time, so I un-jailbroke the phone and claimed that I didn't know what they were talking about. That ended the issue.

If you have Verizon - you can expect worse!
syclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:41 AM   #4
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syclone View Post

If you have Verizon - you can expect worse!
I don't know about worse, AT&T has been leading the charge and Verizon just implements everything they do so far. I'm still burned over AT&T going back on the unlimited iPad plan after less then 6 weeks of it being out. Its part of why I left them, every thing they implement is a new way to make more money and screw you over.

I'm still just fed up with all of them. You have an unlimited plan but they don't really want you to use it. They want to charge you for a tethering plan like its a service they provide you when its your phone that has the capability to do it.

Sorry, Rant ended. Original poster, I don't know of anyone that has gotten it to work but I'm interested in how if they did. I have an app that has infrastructure instead of ad-hoc but it doesn't work for me either. My Edge does see it when I use it and connect, but it can't pull anything.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
garyhgaryh
Zealot

Hey guys, I got tethering to work to a mac via bluetooth. It took a while, but I was able to get internet access through my android phone via Verizon.

I decide to try it on my PE after the mac experiment, but that failed. I initially got the PE to pair with the droid, but after that it wouldn't pair again or connect.

Instead of bluetooth (I'm not sure if there are bluetooth drivers to create a PAN connection), I will try using wifi hotspot.

If I get this to work, then that'll solve my issue of using my PE where there is no wifi.
I woud love to get a usb or bluetooth gps working next!

Gary
Advert
Old 08-09-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
Synergi
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
Hey guys, I got tethering to work to a mac via bluetooth. It took a while, but I was able to get internet access through my android phone via Verizon.

I decide to try it on my PE after the mac experiment, but that failed. I initially got the PE to pair with the droid, but after that it wouldn't pair again or connect.

Instead of bluetooth (I'm not sure if there are bluetooth drivers to create a PAN connection), I will try using wifi hotspot.

If I get this to work, then that'll solve my issue of using my PE where there is no wifi.
I woud love to get a usb or bluetooth gps working next!

Gary
Cool, if you get it to work on the Edge, please post what and how you did it. I've had no luck with it so far.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:17 PM   #7
garyhgaryh
Zealot

I got tethering to work! I'm sitting in the parking lot waiting to pickup my wife as I'm typing this!

The key is Open Garden widow tether. Its a free and handles both Bluetooth and wifi!

Gary
Old 08-09-2011, 08:53 PM   #8
Synergi
Addict

Quote:
I got tethering to work! I'm sitting in the parking lot waiting to pickup my wife as I'm typing this!

The key is Open Garden widow tether. Its a free and handles both Bluetooth and wifi!

Gary
Oh cool, so this is wireless tether and not a usb tether? Which did you use to connect? Bluetooth or wifi?
Old 08-09-2011, 09:15 PM   #9
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
I got tethering to work! I'm sitting in the parking lot waiting to pickup my wife as I'm typing this! The key is Open Garden widow tether. Its a free and handles both Bluetooth and wifi! Gary
From here? http://opengarden.net/?page_id=122
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:33 AM   #10
garyhgaryh
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
Oh cool, so this is wireless tether and not a usb tether? Which did you use to connect? Bluetooth or wifi?
I used Wifi. Bluetooth did not work on the PE, but works great on my Mac.

If you can get BT working, let me know how its done.

Gary

Last edited by garyhgaryh; 08-10-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:47 AM   #11
garyhgaryh
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
Yes. I got it from the Android app store for the droid which can access the official market place. No additional sw needed on the edge (woot! ).

Last edited by garyhgaryh; 08-10-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:05 PM   #12
msavides
msavides began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Entorage
I have the original droid from verizon. It will only tether in adhoc mode. I had to download and app for the edge to allow the edge to connect to an adhoc connection.

the app is called ZT-180 Adhoc Switcher and can be found on slideme market.

Also your phone must be rooted to tether with verizon or you must pay verizon for tethering. Your edge must be rooted to run the adhoc switcher app as well.
msavides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #13
fgruber
Academic
fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Note Plus
Interesting
THanks a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by msavides View Post
I have the original droid from verizon. It will only tether in adhoc mode. I had to download and app for the edge to allow the edge to connect to an adhoc connection.

Also your phone must be rooted to tether with verizon or you must pay verizon for tethering. Your edge must be rooted to run the adhoc switcher app as well.

Last edited by fgruber; 08-10-2011 at 03:05 PM.
fgruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #14
Synergi
Addict

Quote:

Thanks, I'm going to give this a try..
Old 08-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #15
garyhgaryh
Zealot

Quote:

I believe Open Garden Tethering does it in Adhoc mode, so you don't need a purposed software running on our underpowered PE.

Sounds like you either have to run software on the droid or the PE.
In anycase, looks like we have two known solutions here which is great.

When you run Open Garden's solution, you have to root your phone. That may be an issue with some, but you can connect with any device that supports wifi, no matter what OS it is running.

Gary