Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-11-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
EdgarL
EdgarL began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi from Cologne

Hello mobileread Forum!

I was searching on the internet for Information about DRM especially on E-Books. I am writing my BA-Thesis about the economic consequences using DRM. Over Google results I landed often here and got started really good. I am looking forward to getting some more Information.

So if anybody thinks he/she can add value to my work, I will be very pleased to get in contact.

Peace

Eddy
EdgarL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Nice topic for your thesis. That could be pretty interesting.

Have you got a conclusion or some viewpoint on it already, and what kind of material are you planning to reference?

I think most people here get their books from ..... unconventional sources..... I.e. they would not buy them if they were available... elsewhere.
However nobody talks openly about it.

The funkiest people for this are the Russians. They are massive users of ebooks and think it's BS to pay for digital content. See of you can find a Russian ebook forum and interview someone there, and then a Russian publishing house. I don't think anyone even bothers putting DRM on any books there, because it gets ripped five minutes afterwards and noone buys ebooks.

Perhaps you could do some kind of study to check how behaviours differ geographically and over different age groups with regards to DRM and ebooks.

Personally I would pay up to 3 EUR for an ebook if the profit went STRAIGHT to the author. I'd buy only to get very good formatting, or if I am desperate for the book and that is the only way to get it. I download tons of books that I would never buy.

My nationality is Swedish and I am a woman in my thirties.

Last edited by martienne; 07-11-2011 at 01:51 PM.
martienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
EdgarL
EdgarL began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi Martienne,

my fundamental research is the German E-Book market and what role DRM plays in the development. Economic studies about how DRM effects music or films are existing, but not very significant. the best file sharing rapport is the dutch "ups and downs - economic and cultural effects of file sharing on music, film and games"

But - I don't want to study file sharing or piracy, my goal is to mention how DRM is avoiding a market growth in the ebook sector (or not). fs and piracy are part of it(the motivation for using DRM). So the whole thing is very theoretical, although I am highly interested in technical questions.

I am familiar with ......unconventional sources..... And I think what a Russian does in five minutes, a European or American does in ten. I want to say, there are so many ways of getting rid of DRM, the usage itself should be questioned.

Thank you for your personal opinion!

Last edited by EdgarL; 07-11-2011 at 02:18 PM.
EdgarL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:59 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Eddy and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:24 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Eddy. Lots to say about DRM, but I've said it before, you won't bore folks with it again. Luck with the project, happy e-reading and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
drm, e-book, research, science