Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-20-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
bobmutch
Edge User

Unhappy I Broke My PE!

So, I got my new toy a week ago, and have been messing with it since. Good stuff until I broke it.

Updated to Ermine. Good.
Installed all kinds of useful stuff. Good.
Rooted. Good.
Installed gmail and other APKs in order to get google calendar to run (and, hopefully the Market)
Calendar sync with Jorte. Good.
Market comes up, but no installations working. OK, close.
Install newest Titanium Backup (Pro/Paid), attempt to make Framework.apk a system file
System Hangs. Uh Oh.
Try Reboot. System hangs at four dot. Uh Oh.
PE won't shut down. Take paper clip to reset button. Shuts down, but system still hangs on boot. (hair graying)
Desperate... Put Update.zip on USB, and reinstall Dingo. Well, If it's what I gotta do.
All kinds of errors after initialization. And WiFi won't work. Can't re-Ermine. Oh Sh**!

I made me sad.

Not that I deserve it, but does anyone know how I can dig myself out of the mess I made? If I could see the memory of the PE, I could replace with earlier googleapplicationframework, if that's still the issue.

Grrr... And I promised my sion he could use it on the trip we're taking in... 2 hours.

Sigh

Old 05-20-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
cheyennedonna
Edge User

When you connect an edge to a PC by USB you get access to the internal memory, including all of the system files. (totally opposite of Android phone behavior where you only get SD card access) If you know what you messed up perhaps you can replace it that way.

Advert
Old 05-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
bobmutch
Edge User

I'll give it a try. I wonder what app would have to do with wifi not being able to scan? Won't even save manual setup. Have froyo phone, so I can use it for any apk files I might need. I was soooo close to having it tricked out just right.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:42 PM   #4
cheyennedonna
Edge User

The other thought I had was perhaps, run the golden update again - with a fresh download. I was under the impression that totally restored your system. It should have removed root and any files you added.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:03 AM   #5
bobmutch
Edge User

After a week of heavy customizing, I was REALLY hoping not to have to do a complete wipe. You're likely right, though.

Thanks for the thoughts.

More to come...

Advert
Old 05-21-2011, 01:06 AM   #6
Filark
Edge User

I must know how this story ends! Such a promising beginning, then a sad middle -- will the end restore my faith in humanity and electronic devices??

Old 05-21-2011, 05:30 AM   #7
Kewlcat
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
will the end restore my faith in humanity and electronic devices??
LOL!

@ the OP
Count me in as an interested & concerned spectator ...All the Best!

Old 05-23-2011, 12:47 AM   #8
bobmutch
Edge User

It lives!

I DID have to wipe it; but it's alive, and I can slowly start tweaking again.

I can forget about the Android Market, but I sure wish I knew what APK resulted in Jorte syncing with my Google calendar. It's not the CalendarSync file. Hmmmm.

Once more into the breach!

A odd thing has happened, though. When I connect USB, I now see the internal memory of the Edge, and neither the fauxSD, nor the ExtSD (the actual microSD that I WANT to save to. Any clues out there?

Last edited by bobmutch; 05-23-2011 at 12:51 AM.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:05 AM   #9
bobmutch
Edge User

Successfully installed and Running:

Google Maps, with Tether GPS (Bluetooth) - OK, but need to tether data when travelling
z4root
TuneIn Radio
Pandora
Titanium Backup (got me in trouble)
Dolphin HD Browser
Enjoy Sudoku
FBreader
Fancy Wdget Pro
Astrid (DOES sync with Google - Odd)
Jorte (though still need to reconnect Google Calendar Sync)
GO Launcher
Locus Free (though UI, and downloading/maintaining maps seems like a chore)
Note Everything

Still haven't found any video player that will give me CLOSE to the file compatibility of my Samsung Fascinate. Stuttering, B/W display, or no sound are common problems with fairly standard AVIs.