Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: May 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
1984 by George Orwell 22 24.72%
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde 4 4.49%
Call of the Wild by Jack London 6 6.74%
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy 23 25.84%
Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc by Mark Twain 4 4.49%
War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells 7 7.87%
Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra 4 4.49%
Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey 8 8.99%
The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton 7 7.87%
The Diary of a Nobody by George Grossmith and Weedon Grossmith 4 4.49%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
May 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote

Help us choose a book as the May 2011 eBook for the Mobile Read Book Club. The poll will be open for 5 days. We will start the discussion thread for this book on May 20th.

As usual I will not vote unless the poll ends in a tie.

Select from the following books.

1984 by George Orwell [siraks, Pablo, voodooblues]
1984 is not PD in the USA yet.
Upload by RWood - Mobi/PRC & LRF | Upload by ShellShock - LRF (enhancements) | Upload by Pablo - ePub
Spoiler:
from wiki: Nineteen Eighty-Four (sometimes written 1984) is a 1949 dystopian novel written by George Orwell, about an oligarchical, collectivist society. Life in the Oceanian province of Airstrip One is a world of perpetual war, pervasive government surveillance, and incessant public mind control. The individual is always subordinated to the state, and it is in part this philosophy which allows the Party to manipulate and control humanity. In the Ministry of Truth, protagonist Winston Smith is a civil servant responsible for perpetuating the Party's propaganda by revising historical records to render the Party omniscient and always correct, yet his meager existence disillusions him to the point of seeking rebellion against Big Brother, eventually leading to his arrest, torture, and reconversion.

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde [arkietech, Nyssa, caleb72]
Upload by Dr. Drib - LRF - upload by Jellby - Mobi/PRC & ePub
German uploads by ravenne - LRF - Mobi/PRC & ePub
LibriVox: free audiobook (dramatic reading)
Spoiler:
Amazon.com Review
A lush, cautionary tale of a life of vileness and deception or a loving portrait of the aesthetic impulse run rampant? Why not both? After Basil Hallward paints a beautiful, young man's portrait, his subject's frivolous wish that the picture change and he remain the same comes true. Dorian Gray's picture grows aged and corrupt while he continues to appear fresh and innocent. After he kills a young woman, "as surely as if I had cut her little throat with a knife," Dorian Gray is surprised to find no difference in his vision or surroundings. "The roses are not less lovely for all that. The birds sing just as happily in my garden."

As Hallward tries to make sense of his creation, his epigram-happy friend Lord Henry Wotton encourages Dorian in his sensual quest with any number of Wildean paradoxes, including the delightful "When we are happy we are always good, but when we are good we are not always happy." But despite its many languorous pleasures, The Picture of Dorian Gray is an imperfect work. Compared to the two (voyeuristic) older men, Dorian is a bore, and his search for ever new sensations far less fun than the novel's drawing-room discussions. Even more oddly, the moral message of the novel contradicts many of Wilde's supposed aims, not least "no artist has ethical sympathies. An ethical sympathy in an artist is an unpardonable mannerism of style." Nonetheless, the glamour boy gets his just deserts. And Wilde, defending Dorian Gray, had it both ways: "All excess, as well as all renunciation, brings its own punishment."

Call of the Wild by Jack London [voodooblues, John F, edbro]
Upload by Madam Broshkina - Mobi/PRC - LRF | MultiFormat at Fictionwise
multiple formats at feedbooks | LibriVox: free audiobook
Spoiler:
From Wikipedia: The Call of the Wild is a novel by American writer Jack London. The plot concerns a previously domesticated and even somewhat pampered dog named Buck whose primordial instincts return after a series of events finds him serving as a sled dog in the treacherous, frigid Yukon during the days of the 19th century Gold Rushes.

Published in 1903, The Call of the Wild is one of London's most read books and it is generally considered one of his best. Because the protagonist is a dog, it is sometimes classified as a juvenile novel, suitable for children, but it is dark in tone and contains numerous scenes of cruelty and violence.

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy [DixieGal, beppe, jkeene]
Upload by phrodod - LRF | Multiple formats from manybooks.net
German uploads by Targor - ePub - Mobi/PRC - LRF
Dutch edition from manybooks | Dutch LibriVox: free audiobook
LibriVox: free audiobook (1-8)
Spoiler:
from Borders: Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way, writes Tolstoy in his literary masterpiece Anna Karenina. Commonly regarded as one of the greatest realist novels ever written, Tolstoy himself saw it as his first true novel. The novel was not well received by critics when first published, but Tolstoy's fellow Russian greats all considered it a great work of art.

Joan of Arc (The full tiltle is Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc) by Mark Twain [Ron., DixieGal, issybird]
Upload by Stanart - IMP - Mobi/PRC - LRF
Multiple formats at feedbooks | Inkmesh search
LibriVox: free audiobooks | epubbooks
Spoiler:
"Book Summary

In 1429, a 17-year-old peasant girl receives a message from Heaven that she is to rescue France from its English oppressors. Within two years this most unlikely of heroines leads a ragtag army to victory, sees the king crowned, and dies at the stake, martyred by traitors. America's most famous storyteller, Mark Twain, was obsessed with the story of Joan of Arc, and labored 12 years to tell it in this novel, which he considered his masterpiece "

War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells [JSWolf, Nyssa, siraks]
Upload by HarryT - LRF - Mobi/PRC - ePub
Upload by crich70 (H.G. Wells Novel Omnibus) - Mobi/PRC - ePub
Upload by JS Wolf - LRF - Mobi/PRC
LibriVox: free audiobooks
Spoiler:
"H.G. Wells's science fiction classic, the first novel to explore the possibilities of intelligent life from other planets, it still startling and vivid nearly after a century after its appearance, and a half-century after Orson Wells's infamous 1938 radio adaptation. The daring portrayal of aliens landing on English soil, with its themes of interplanetary imperialism, technological holocaust and chaos, is central to the career of H.G. Wells, who died at the dawn of the atomic age. The survival of mankind in the face of "vast and cool and unsympathetic" scientific powers spinning out of control was a crucial theme throughout his work. Visionary, shocking and chilling, The War Of The Worlds has lost none of its impact since its first publication in 1898."

Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra (warning it's pretty long) [AnemicOak, obs20, Piper_]
Spanish Upload by =X= (Vol 1 & Vol 2) - LRF - IMP - Mobi/PRC - ePub - Lit
Spanish Upload by Jellby (Illustrated) - ePub & Mobi/PRC
Multiple formats at feedbooks | LibriVox: free audiobooks
Spoiler:
"Don Quixote, errant knight and sane madman, with the company of his faithful squire and wise fool, Sancho Panza, together roam the world and haunt readers' imaginations as they have for nearly four hundred years."

Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey [GA Russell, DixieGal, JSWolf]
Upload by Dr. Drib - LRF -
Upload of two volume collection of Zane Grey's books by crich70 - Mobi/PRC - ePub
Multiple formats at feedbooks | LibriVox: free audiobook
Spoiler:
The year is 1871, and wealthy ranch owner Jane Withersteen is in trouble. She has incurred the displeasure of her Mormon church leaders by refusing to marry a church elder and by befriending Gentiles (non-Mormons). In rides Lassiter, the quintessential Western hero: mysterious, purposeful, a deadly gunslinger, but with an unexpected streak of gentleness. While Lassiter is assisting Jane at the ranch, her friend and rider Bern Venters is having an adventure of his own in the Utah canyonlands. Riders of the Purple Sage is a story of heroism, love, brave men and strong women, good dogs and fast horses. And who is that Masked Rider? (Summary by Laurie Anne Walden)

The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton [AnemicOak, DixieGal, lila55]
Upload by Madam Broshkina - IMP - Mobi/PRC - LRF
Upload by 6charlong - pdb | Inkmesh search
LibriVox: free audiobooks
Spoiler:
"Winner of the 1921 Pulitzer Prize, The Age of Innocence is Edith Wharton’s masterful portrait of desire and betrayal during the sumptuous Golden Age of Old New York, a time when society people “dreaded scandal more than disease.”

This is Newland Archer’s world as he prepares to marry the beautiful but conventional May Welland. But when the mysterious Countess Ellen Olenska returns to New York after a disastrous marriage, Archer falls deeply in love with her. Torn between duty and passion, Archer struggles to make a decision that will either courageously define his life—or mercilessly destroy it. "

The Diary of a Nobody by George Grossmith and Weedon Grossmith [Ea, beppe, lila55]
Inkmesh search | online book
LibriVox: free audiobook
Spoiler:
From Wikipedia: "The diary is the fictitious record of fifteen months in the life of Mr. Charles Pooter, a middle aged city clerk of middle-class status but significant social aspirations, living in the fictional 'Brickfield Terrace' in Upper Holloway which was then a typical suburb of the impecuniously respectable kind. Other characters include his wife Carrie (Caroline), his son Lupin, his friends Mr Cummings and Mr Gowing, and Lupin's unsuitable fiancée, Daisy Mutlar.

The humour derives from Pooter's unconscious gaffes and self-importance, as well as the snubs he receives from those he considers socially inferior, such as tradesmen. In The Diary of a Nobody the Grossmiths create an accurate if amusing record of the manners, customs and experiences of the Londoners of the late Victorian era."

Last edited by dreams; 04-22-2011 at 03:24 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
i voted for my first nomination. there are a couple of others i'd be interested to read on the list as well but there are some that i will stay away from lol
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Placed my vote and added to my TBR list. Quite a few good titles here.

Oh, and thank you for the thread Pilotbob!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
I cast My vote
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
BenjaminJames
Enthusiast
BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Sony 505 (2nd one), had a Cool-er but broke it, Dell Streak
voted for 1984, its such a great book. haven't read it in a while so would definitely take part in my first book club if it wins

Last edited by BenjaminJames; 04-22-2011 at 04:21 PM. Reason: typo's
BenjaminJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2011, 08:19 PM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I love that lurkers turn out to vote. It's nice knowing y'all are out there reading with us yakkers!

Click on the result number to see who voted for which book.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:22 AM   #7
Will Granger
Will Granger began at the beginning.

Device: none
The Call of the Wild got me hooked on reading when I was a kid. I can say for sure that it has had a major effect on my life
Will Granger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:48 AM   #8
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Voted for 1984 because I've never read it - and I really should. Perfect opportunity.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:50 AM   #9
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Voted for The Age of Innocence to encourage myself to read something "new".
1984 is a great book, and I'll probably re-read that as well!
Doria Gray was already on my TBR.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:19 PM   #10
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I voted for The Age Of Innocence. I loved the film (though I saw it awhile ago) and have never read the book so this would be a great opportunity.

I also would like to read Anna Karenina, and I've always wondered if it'd be worth my time to read Don Quixote.

Honestly I've never heard of (or perhaps noticed) Riders Of The Purple Sage or The Diary Of A Nobody. Neither of their descriptions sound too appealing but you never know.

I have heard of War Of The Worlds and Mark Twain, but neither of those sound particularly appealing either.

I've already read 1984 and Call Of The Wild. I liked them both but not interested in re-reading.

I've also already read Dorian Gray and didn't care for it, so definitely not interested in re-reading.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:23 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do you want to read something good?

Vote for The War of the Worlds for something good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:41 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I have heard of War Of The Worlds and Mark Twain, but neither of those sound particularly appealing either.
No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that human affairs were being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own that as men busied themselves about their affairs they were scrutinised and studied perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.

---

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:28 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that human affairs were being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own that as men busied themselves about their affairs they were scrutinised and studied perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.

---

BOb
That is some really good writing there. Very good choice of a passage to quote.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #14
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Are we stuck at 34 votes!?!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:44 PM   #15
bobertson
bobertson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Stumbled upon this thread (well, forum really) completely by accident and decided I had to register and take part.

So, hi to everyone on the boards, and sorry for the impulsive vote for 1984. I couldn't help it even though I would have liked to vote up something which I haven't yet read. Maybe some other time...
bobertson is offline   Reply With Quote