Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-06-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
Shazza
Addict
Shazza doesn't litterShazza doesn't litterShazza doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 - 3G & Wifi iphone
How Important are Stars in a Review

Just had the first review of my book and I'm very excited! Grace Crispy from Motherlode gave me three stars. She caught the essence of the book, liked some parts, didn't like others and wrote a very thoughtful review.

I couldn't be happier.

Would love to hear the thoughts of ereaders on how much emphasis they put on reviews in general and starred reviews in particular.
Shazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
welcome to the forums shazza! Grace Krispy is actually one of our regular posters as well!

I look at the stars particularly if I am unfamiliar with the author. then I really read what the posters write. I find that quite often a lower star award is because the reader was un-prepared for the content; ie was the story infused with religious references and they were unprepared for that sort of content, was there a lot of sex and violence, and that was a surprise? so it appears that having a really good explanatory blurb about your book is vital
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I tend to steer clear of books with lots of 1's and 2's -- otherwise, without written comments, they're pretty meaningless to me.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I tend to steer clear of books with lots of 1's and 2's -- otherwise, without written comments, they're pretty meaningless to me.
I agree
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I pay attention, but even more to the user reviews on Amazon. I read positive and negative to get a feel for a book.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Assuming it's caught my attention enough to make me click on the cover I would just download the sample and decide for myself. Sometimes I might go back later and see if I agree with the reviews, but usually I don't bother. User generated reviews are wide open for abuse.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:16 PM   #7
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
In a world where there was time to read every review, I would care a good deal about what was said about the book and not at all about the star rating.

In reality, a quick scan of the range of star ratings contributes to the decision of whether I read any of the reviews for a particular book - there's just so much reading material out there.
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:13 PM   #8
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Good to see you've found your way through the various forums!

Speaking strictly as a reader, stars in a review are not nearly as important to me as what's said in the review. Reviews that just say "she's done it again! what an awesome book! everyone must read it!" are useless to me, as are ones that say "this book sucks. I wish I hadn't bought it." Useless. Reviews that just describe what the book is about and give me a play-by-play are useless as well (to me). I want a quick summary of the story-- those are especially interesting if they've hit upon something that the official blurb doesn't (but nothing spoilerish, please!). Then I want the good and the bad. One woman's junk is another's treasure! Just because someone didn't like aspects of the book doesn't mean I won't. Our tastes may not be the same.

The thing that will kill a book for me? More than one review stating how awful the editing was. If there are lots of errors (grammar or typographical), I'm not really interested. It's too much work for me to read past that.

If there are a ton of reviews on Amazon or whatnot, I probably won't read them all, but I will scan through to find a few with each star level. So if there is a book with reviews ranging from 2 to 5 stars, I'll read a review or two at each level. That gives me a good picture of whether it's a book I'd want to read.

Speaking as a "reviewer?" I try to write reviews that, as a reader choosing a book, I'd want to read.

One final thought on stars-- they mean a lot less to me if I click on the reviewer's page and see that that reviewer has only rated books as 5-star books. I will admit, I'm a little less likely to want a book that has only 1-2 star ratings (ok, a lot less likely), but if it has a dose of 3 stars and above, it may be a book for me.

(sorry for the ramble, can you tell I've thought a lot about this topic?)
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:58 PM   #9
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
...stars in a review are not nearly as important to me as what's said in the review.
Well said. For example, book A and book B can both have 4-star ratings on average, but if one of them has more thoughtful comments, I'll be swayed by that. First and foremost, I usually try to see what the 1-star reviewers are saying and how well they are saying it, then I'll see what the 5-star reviewers are saying and how well they are saying it. Sometimes, a 1-star review may say the book was too slow, which may be an indicator I might like it. A 5-star review may talk about the fast pace, which might be an indicator I won't like it. I pay particular attention to what reviewers say regarding characterization, pace, language, and themes. If there is too much mention of plot, pace, action, etc. and not enough mention of language, character, and themes, I'm more likely to steer clear of the book.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:23 AM   #10
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I've bought quite a number of books for Christmas presents the past two weeks. I go to Amazon to see what people think, and if the average is less than four stars I give it a pass.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:45 AM   #11
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazza View Post
Just had the first review of my book and I'm very excited! Grace Crispy from Motherlode gave me three stars. She caught the essence of the book, liked some parts, didn't like others and wrote a very thoughtful review.

I couldn't be happier.

Would love to hear the thoughts of ereaders on how much emphasis they put on reviews in general and starred reviews in particular.
I think I look at the number of reviews more than the star rating. However, I read reviews anyway. I don't judge by star rating.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:17 AM   #12
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I take note of the star ratings. At least I have done till now.

I am on the 2nd book of the Fencer trilogy, "Belly Of The Bow", by KJ Parker and it received poor star ratings and reviews. It put me off a bit but I was into the trilogy by then so purchased and started it anyway. Point is I am loving it.

Live and learn
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:38 AM   #13
Mel Comley
Addict
Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I tend to read the reviews (hopefully some don't give the plot away) then I might look at the stars. But then everyone's taste is different.
I find it quite surprising how many people slag off Dan Brown's books and yet look how many have bought his books!

Mel
Mel Comley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:55 AM   #14
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
Generally, readers are generous with their stars and give 3-5 stars to books they like. I pass on books with an abundance of 1-2 star ratings. For books with a majority of 3-5 stars and a few 1-2 stars, I'll read the individual reviews to see if there are problems that would hinder my enjoyment.

But I tend to sample books on my Kindle before buying, so the star ratings aren't all that important to me. If I like the sample, I'll get the book. I'll pass on a 5-star book if I can't get through the sample!
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:59 AM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I pay little attention to reviews and never base a reading decision upon them.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
reviews, three stars