Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-19-2008, 06:18 PM   #1
daviddem
Connoisseur
daviddem doesn't litterdaviddem doesn't litterdaviddem doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Talking Shadow version of Calibre GUI with deDRM capabilities?

Not available in the real world(?) but soon or later, some mind-twisted DRM hater might like the idea to modify the source code of the Calibre GUI to include access to deDRM tools. Moreover, his burning hatred for DRM might drive him to distribute such version via unofficial channels

What would the Calibre developers and the public have to say about that?

1)

2) :
3) Let's ban this guy from the board for even mentioning it
4) I will drag you in a court of law
5) What do you think? You're the only one here not to have that version of Calibre yet
6) Been there, done that. I made my own but I am not using or distributing it because it is illegal
7) ...
daviddem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:38 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Well I think it's a good idea, but branching the code is a bad idea. You'll never be able to keep up to Kovid's development schedule. Soon you'll have an obsoleted calibre

I'd recommend you work with Kovid's branch to allow the ability to run/apply a script to the eBook. Make the scripts downloadable or give the the ability to add a python script just like you can with a recipe.

As for shipping calibre with the DRM hacks, you'll probably get a law suit slapped or even criminal charges pressed. (not from here and I don't know how accurate this assumption is)

Try this approach
There is a company they make a product called "ArmyBuilder". They build armies for table top game systems. in order to get around copyright laws they don't ship the product with other companies table top rules and army lists. However after you install the product they have a feature that downloads the latest rules and armies from a remote server

Something like this is the best way to do it so calibre is free from any implications. Also having the ability to execute scripts on an eBook is a great feature to have as it will give a lot of flexibility to folks that want to enhance calibre without having to be part of the calibre project

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 12-19-2008 at 07:40 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:35 PM   #3
daviddem
Connoisseur

Yes that would be great if Calibre gave the capability to run a user selected script on the selected books / formats.

How difficult would that be Kovid?

That might get pretty high in the "bribe for an added feature" list that you were talking about in another thread.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:22 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Adding a filetype plugins shouldn't be too hard. One hook to run plugins on the input file as a preprocessor and one hook as a postprocessor on the output file.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:38 PM   #5
daviddem
Connoisseur

what format would the scripts or plugins be? Python scripts?
Old 12-19-2008, 09:47 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The plugins would have to be python scripts, but it is trivial to write python wrappers around an executable in another language.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:56 PM   #7
daviddem
Connoisseur

Cool. I think this would be really great, that kind of capability is actually what makes software like Mozilla so powerful and so popular. Should we make a feature request? Have you implemented the "bribe for feature" thing? Can't seem to find that thread anymore.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:28 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

This one I'll do for free, it's on my todo list anyway
Old 12-24-2008, 01:42 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Released version 119 with support for plugins. My private install of calibre now transparently strips the DRM from my purchased MOBI files

I haven't documented how to create plugins as yet, but the code is well commented in src/calibre/customize/__init__.py and src/calibre/customize/builtins.py

Just create a .py plugin name it something_plugin.py and add it to a zip file. You can then use the config dialog or the calibre-customize command to add the plugin to your calibre installation.

Right now there is support for creating plugins to perform arbitrary transformations by file type on import into the database, just before a any2* tool is run and just after a any2* tool is run.

In addition all the metadata reading/writing code has been plugin-ized.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:49 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Released version 119 with support for plugins.
Wow. You are just plugging away at this. Nice Christmas present.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:00 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Given calibre's already modular design, it only took me about 8hrs to do

Eventually calibre's entire conversion pipeline will be pluginized.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:12 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
wow, brilliant idea. nice work kovid, already adapted !

i've just installed the latest version of calibre, who can help me with a plugin + setup for stripping mobi drm ? a plugin for convert lit would be stellar as well...

hm, maybe it should be done via pm by the way, just to be sure there is nothing "over the line" on the forum...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 03:19 PM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
hm, maybe it should be done via pm by the way, just to be sure there is nothing "over the line" on the forum...
We need a canonical example that does not strip DRM. The kindlefix script has played this role for command line tools, but, because it does not strip DRM, it isn't very useful in Calibre.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 04:21 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

There are example plugins in builtins.py
Old 12-24-2008, 08:17 PM   #15
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Well, if I can get the plug-ins I need and instructions of how to install, I'll pony up again - I would love a one stop product for handling my .lit and .mobi files.

My laptop crashed day before yesterday and 6 hours spent the next day and a couple of hours the following, and I finally have my program laden laptop running again. But, it was a pain tracking down all the files I needed to be able to handle my books.

So I'm curious - would this really be a compatible experience to adding a plug in to zen-cart? I don't touch the .php files except in a dire situations, but I can quite easily nab a plugin and download and unzip and move to the correct folder and have new functionality - or will it be more involved - a lot more involved?

Michelle
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote