Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-01-2012, 07:50 AM   #1
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Is There a Better Way?

I have books by authors who have put out books under more than one name(e.g. Henry Kuttner also wrote as Lewis Padgett). I also have stories that have been put out under more than one title.

I would like to find the best way to deal with these issues. For authors I have been putting an crossrefernce annotation in "Comments". For the story with two titles I have been creating a "dummy" entry for one title and cross referencing the two titles in "Comments".

I do not find either solution particularly satisfactory as I cannot search for one name used by an author and have Calibre bring up all the books by that author. Similarly I cannot search for one title and have both brought up.

I have searched the forums but found nothing especially helpful (unless I missed it all) and wondered how other people dealt with these issues.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
For author name you could add the real name as 2nd author so if you search for a particular author by his real name all the books he has written under other names would also show up.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
One way to solve this problem is to add a custom column to contain the alternative author(s) names. This is type "Comma separated text, like tags", but with the checkbox "Contains names" checked.

Next, you create a "Grouped search term" (preferences -> Searching) that combines the author column and the new custom column. For example, and assuming the lookup key for your custom column is "#real_authors", you could create a group search term "all_authors" that contains "authors, #real_authors".

Once you have done both steps, then you can search for authors in either column by searching for all_authors:"Some Name". It will find "Some Name" in either authors or #real_authors.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:21 AM   #4
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
One way to solve this problem is to add a custom column to contain the alternative author(s) names. This is type "Comma separated text, like tags", but with the checkbox "Contains names" checked.

Next, you create a "Grouped search term" (preferences -> Searching) that combines the author column and the new custom column. For example, and assuming the lookup key for your custom column is "#real_authors", you could create a group search term "all_authors" that contains "authors, #real_authors".

Once you have done both steps, then you can search for authors in either column by searching for all_authors:"Some Name". It will find "Some Name" in either authors or #real_authors.

Thanks for that I will give it a try. I can probably do something similar with stories being put out under different titles.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote