Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-19-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
dendeke
dendeke began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Creating eBooks

Hi,

I am looking for companies that turn my books into eBooks. More specifically I want to create interactive eBooks. Does anyone know good companies that do a great job for decent price?
dendeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
marytg
EPUB designer
marytg doesn't littermarytg doesn't litter

Device: Nook Color
I do e-book conversions. I'm not sure what you mean by interactive but I'm interested.
Reasonable prices, no-wait list. Check out my website epubpub.com
marytg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Interactive ebooks tend to be more like apps--they often have multimedia elements (video and/or sound) and user-specific settings. (Fonts, backgrounds, page layout, etc.)

I don't think many of the mobileread regulars are much concerned with interactive ebooks; most of us are a lot more focused on clean, useful text in a format that works on whatever device we have. Interactive ebooks are often device-specific. Still, I hope dendeke finds what he's looking for; I'm in favor of more quality ebooks being released, even if some of them are in formats I'm not interested in.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:49 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by marytg View Post
I do e-book conversions. I'm not sure what you mean by interactive but I'm interested.
Reasonable prices, no-wait list. Check out my website epubpub.com
Looks good, Mary, but ...
- Why the question mark on the second main line of text?
- The link to formatting gives me an error 404 message.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
dendeke
dendeke began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Sorry. I was not very clear. I was looking for companies that specialize in interactive eBooks for children. So children can touch the screen, play with the characters, play games, and etc. I did some Google search today and found a company in San Francisco called Bunny Interactive and contacted them to get more info. Will see how it goes.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-08-2011 at 06:46 AM.
dendeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:42 PM   #6
JLorenz
Enthusiast
JLorenz rocks like Gibraltar!JLorenz rocks like Gibraltar!JLorenz rocks like Gibraltar!JLorenz rocks like Gibraltar!JLorenz rocks like Gibraltar!JLorenz rocks like Gibraltar!JLorenz rocks like Gibraltar!JLorenz rocks like Gibraltar!JLorenz rocks like Gibraltar!JLorenz rocks like Gibraltar!JLorenz rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Thunderbolt
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendeke View Post
Sorry. I was not very clear. I was looking for companies that specialize in interactive eBooks for children. So children can touch the screen, play with the characters, play games, and etc. I did some Google search today and found a company in San Francisco called Bunny Interactive and contacted them to get more info. Will see how it goes.
Thx for the link. My wife and I have an idea for an interactive book and that looks like a good company.
JLorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:47 PM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
When I see the term "Interactive" applied to a book I think more of the things like the old Choose Your Own Adventure books that I read as a kid. There are a few of those out on the web now. At least two of them have been written about here at MR in fact and are available through Amazon & Smashwords.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:02 AM   #8
marytg
EPUB designer
marytg doesn't littermarytg doesn't litter

Device: Nook Color
Alex, that's weird. My WP password didn't work. I had to reset it to fix that question mark. I never noticed it.

I don't know what "formatting link" you're talking about. Where is it? I've been editing books all day and don't feel like staring at anymore words.
marytg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:05 AM   #9
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by marytg View Post
Alex, that's weird. My WP password didn't work. I had to reset it to fix that question mark. I never noticed it.

I don't know what "formatting link" you're talking about. Where is it? I've been editing books all day and don't feel like staring at anymore words.
Sorry, Mary, I should have been more explicit. There is a line towards the bottom of your home page which reads:

Click here for guidelines to clean up the formatting yourself.

I've just clicked on 'here' and got the 404 message again.

Otherwise, as I said earlier, I think it's a great site.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:43 AM   #10
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Sorry, Mary, I should have been more explicit. There is a line towards the bottom of your home page which reads:

Click here for guidelines to clean up the formatting yourself.

I've just clicked on 'here' and got the 404 message again.

Otherwise, as I said earlier, I think it's a great site.
at the bottom of the front/first page:
http://www.epubpub.com/

http://epubpub.com/wp/?page_id=37

It's not even "marked/underlined" as a link.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:49 PM   #11
gravitiesrainbow
gravitiesrainbow began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Cool Try eBookopoly

After I converted my first book I realized how difficult the process must be for someone without a coding background.

If you're looking for a conversion/formatting services check out www.ebookopoly.com. It's $20 a book and comes with unlimited free revisions as well as a preview gallery.

Interactive books haven't made a huge splash yet, but they are a great way to get your reader's attention. Kudos for taking it to the limit.
gravitiesrainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:21 AM   #12
HighRoadToTibet
John Dwyer
HighRoadToTibet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HighRoadToTibet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HighRoadToTibet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HighRoadToTibet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HighRoadToTibet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HighRoadToTibet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HighRoadToTibet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HighRoadToTibet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HighRoadToTibet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HighRoadToTibet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HighRoadToTibet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
This guy has a nice series of tutorials on converting from word doc to Kindle http://www.cjs-easy-as-pie.com
HighRoadToTibet is offline   Reply With Quote