Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-28-2010, 10:03 AM   #16
Roscopcoletrain
Roscopcoletrain began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
dumb question, but did you set up your account online with a CC and stuff?
Roscopcoletrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:16 AM   #17
Becky Morgan
Becky Morgan began at the beginning.

Yes, account is set up and has been for a lomg while.
Becky Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #18
rrsafety
rrsafety began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscopcoletrain View Post
dumb question, but did you set up your account online with a CC and stuff?
My cc and registration is all set up, too.
rrsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:24 AM   #19
nook_love217
nook_love217 began at the beginning.

Got my Nook(3G + Wifi) for Christmas from my hubby I was hoping he would get me the NookColor but we just bought a house so I guess this will do.

So far I love it. Makes reading soooo much easier. Everything was pretty easy to setup had no issues at all. I already have a ton of ebooks and some magazines. I've been looking for a good case and a LED light for it. Any suggestions?

TIA
nook_love217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #20
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by nook_love217 View Post
Got my Nook(3G + Wifi) for Christmas from my hubby I was hoping he would get me the NookColor but we just bought a house so I guess this will do.

So far I love it. Makes reading soooo much easier. Everything was pretty easy to setup had no issues at all. I already have a ton of ebooks and some magazines. I've been looking for a good case and a LED light for it. Any suggestions?

TIA

Congratulations on your new nook IMHO the nook has, by far and away the best and the most stylish accesories. I have the Chesterton cover, love it.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/accessories/
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:01 PM   #21
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky Morgan View Post
Nook Christmas? Yes. Which will be a curse word hereafter. At least my husband is speaking to me again after he sulked for a few hours. He tried to use the Nook, was barely restrained from throwing it out the door, and wanted to go buy me a Kindle to replace it. We can't afford a Kindle and couldn't really afford this techno-brick, so failure is not an option. B&N tells me there's nothing wrong with this one and that they only gave it a 14-day warranty, or they'd have had it back in the mail yesterday. I refuse to have an expensive brick doorstop and I WILL make this thing work somehow.

Background on me: 52, no close vision problems, highly light-sensitive eyes. I have used computers in one form or another since 1975 and, while hardly a hacker, generally know when something is acting screwy. I have used several e-reader programs over the years and have been using an iPod Touch with Stanza in night mode for bedtime reading so DH isn't awakened by light in the room. I like it and haven't had any significant problems with any of the Project Gutenberg downloads I use. I don't read many novels, seldom look at anything graphics-intensive, and pick most old texts up as .txt files to save space since the formatting is nothing special.

Problem 1: I understand that B&N was down most of the weekend. Yesterday, I was able to get online for a few minutes at a time from our home wifi, but most websites timed out because it's WildBlue satellite and that's apparently too slow for the Nook(!--isn't that about like something being too slow for a snail?) 3G doesn't work here. B&N says to use their site, bring the Nook to their store. The nearest one is an hour and a half away and I would need to rent a car to get there. If the middle of the night is the only option, I'll use it, but I will not be happy.

Problem 2: Is everyone's display excruciatingly slow? I can usually finish an easy sudoku in two minutes. When I finally got the Nook to stay on long enough to play, it took almost half an hour, most of it in wait time while the screen redrew. I set the sleep time for ten minutes, but it turns off the touchscreen after a few seconds and the whole thing in two minutes. (Yes, it charged overnight before I tried to use it.) The user manual is the only thing with more than one page, and it's very....very....slow...to...display...and...even.. .slower...to...turn.

Problem 3: Charcoal gray on khaki is the normal screen color scheme according to tech support. It's "so you can read in the sun on your lunch hour". I work from home, and "sun" and "lunch hour" will not mean much in the dark Ohio rainforest until next spring, if then. Remember the light-sensitive eyes? I can barely see the print. This is Perfectly Normal according to B&N. The suggested cure is a booklight. Um, that's why I don't read dead trees in bed: the light wakes up my husband.

This is not fun. I need some better ideas, please.
As to problem 2 - Its possible that you need a firmware upgrade, which you aren't going to be able to get until you can connect to the site (which is working much better today) or you can get the Nook online on your wifi. That cleared up alot of the page turn complaints for the rest of us.

As to problem 3 - Please don't take this in any mean-spirited way, but did you go and look at a Nook before purchase? The screen is made to simulate paper. It really sounds like you need a small tablet with an LCD backlit screen if you have a problem with the e-ink screen. If you need a light to read a normal book, you'll need a light to read with the Nook. The Nook isn't for everyone, and it sounds like it might not be the device for you.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:59 PM   #22
madzippy
madzippy began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
As to problem 2 - Its possible that you need a firmware upgrade, which you aren't going to be able to get until you can connect to the site (which is working much better today) or you can get the Nook online on your wifi. That cleared up alot of the page turn complaints for the rest of us.

As to problem 3 - Please don't take this in any mean-spirited way, but did you go and look at a Nook before purchase? The screen is made to simulate paper. It really sounds like you need a small tablet with an LCD backlit screen if you have a problem with the e-ink screen. If you need a light to read a normal book, you'll need a light to read with the Nook. The Nook isn't for everyone, and it sounds like it might not be the device for you.
Have to agree. Perhaps, the Nook isn't for you. As far as a Kindle being an option, connection may not be a problem, but if you have issues with the Nook screen, forget the Kindle. Nook has a "whiter" background which makes the text pop, Kindle has a darker background which for me makes reading at night a strain.
madzippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:21 PM   #23
madzippy
madzippy began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsafety View Post
My cc and registration is all set up, too.
weird. if you're connected via wifi, all you should have to do is click "shop" on the touchscreen, find and download the book, then go to library, make sure you're in the bn content (not my documents), and then click "check for new B & N content" and you should be good to go.
madzippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:36 PM   #24
rrsafety

Quote:
Originally Posted by madzippy View Post
weird. if you're connected via wifi, all you should have to do is click "shop" on the touchscreen, find and download the book, then go to library, make sure you're in the bn content (not my documents), and then click "check for new B & N content" and you should be good to go.

You may not have read my original post, but I'm looking to buy books online through my PC at home rather than having to go to a McDonald's parking lot to do it. I've been trying to get a straight answer from B&N about buying books on my computer to load on the nook but the answers I get are all different. Anybody know the answer to the question, "Can I buy a book from B&N on my PC and put it into My B&N folder library on the nook?" It just seems so weird that the answer is difficult to find considering iTunes has been doing it so easily for so long....
Old 12-28-2010, 07:23 PM   #25
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
From the B&N FAQ site on buying Nookbooks:
Buying NOOKbooks

Overview
In general, purchasing NOOKbooks at Barnes & Noble is as easy as clicking a mouse. That's because NOOKbooks are available to you as soon as you click the "Buy Now" button on a NOOKbook page. Once you click that button, you can go to "My NOOK Library" and transfer your purchase to your iPhone, Blackberry or computer.

To make that purchase, however, you must set up a default credit card in your account. If you don't have an account, don't worry. After you click "Buy Now," you'll be asked to create an account. If you have an account, but don't have a default credit card, you'll be asked to select a credit card or enter a new one. Either way, complete your purchase only takes a matter of seconds that first time. And after that, it's almost instantaneous. Learn more about NOOKbooks at BN.com.

Your purchases have a download button in your library on the B&N website, so I would think you should absolutely be able to download it to your PC and then sideload it onto your NC using either ADE or Calibre.

Last edited by leday; 12-28-2010 at 07:25 PM.
leday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:20 PM   #26
rrsafety

Quote:
Originally Posted by leday View Post
From the B&N FAQ site on buying Nookbooks:
Buying NOOKbooks

Overview
In general, purchasing NOOKbooks at Barnes & Noble is as easy as clicking a mouse. That's because NOOKbooks are available to you as soon as you click the "Buy Now" button on a NOOKbook page. Once you click that button, you can go to "My NOOK Library" and transfer your purchase to your iPhone, Blackberry or computer.

To make that purchase, however, you must set up a default credit card in your account. If you don't have an account, don't worry. After you click "Buy Now," you'll be asked to create an account. If you have an account, but don't have a default credit card, you'll be asked to select a credit card or enter a new one. Either way, complete your purchase only takes a matter of seconds that first time. And after that, it's almost instantaneous. Learn more about NOOKbooks at BN.com.

Your purchases have a download button in your library on the B&N website, so I would think you should absolutely be able to download it to your PC and then sideload it onto your NC using either ADE or Calibre.
"sideload it onto your NC using either ADE or Calibre"

Thanks for the info. I've gotten that far but i was wondering if i can put the book into the B&N folder ibrary on my nook. i've read that if it put it there it will disappear so i have to put it into "my documents" instead and can't use the BN folder even though i bought it from there.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:27 PM   #27
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
I would think you probably could, since it is a B&N DRM'd book that you purchased from B&N, so I would think it should show up in the library. Just keep a copy on your PC "just in case".
leday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:47 AM   #28
Becky Morgan

I didn't see the need for a Nook in the first place--it was a (not asked for) gift from a highly sensitive husband who is trying to buy every other e-reader out there even though I keep telling him we don't need more of this!

The WildBlue is a deal-breaker for ever using it at home, it seems. McDonald's is the only place I'll ever (accoring to CS) be able to get online because of the slow speed.

And yesh...if the Kindle is darker than the charcoal on khaki on this Nook, it's unusable!
Old 12-29-2010, 12:51 AM   #29
Becky Morgan

The heck of it is, I'm the one with eyes so light-sensitive people accuse me of hiding in the dark. People hand me old, yellowed, faded documents because I can read them without turning on light that may do more damage. I still can't believe gray print on brown is normal.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:10 AM   #30
javan211
javan211 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I got a Color Nook for Christmas too, and am learning my way around it slowly. One problem I've had is that the sound stops working after a while. The setup indicates the sound is not muted, but there is just no sound. So, I turn the Nook off and back on, and the sound works for a while (10-15 minutes), then stops working...........and I repeat the process. Anyone else have this glitch?
javan211 is offline   Reply With Quote