Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 03:45 PM   #16
Corran006
Connoisseur
Corran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle 3
So if this is still in affect in Canada, it does not matter if I use 3G or my own Wi-fi? I will still get changred 2$?

gezz maybe I should get the kobo.
Corran006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:54 PM   #17
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I am in Canada too Corran, and this is my concern as well. I have bought a couple ebooks via kindle for pc and I don't remember getting the charge. So it must only be via whispernet. Maybe we would just have to do it via computer to avoid the $2.

If the UK doesn't have to pay the $2 fee, then Canada shouldn't either. I would love confirmation of this, but have only heard about the charges.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:56 PM   #18
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
I am in Canada too Corran, and this is my concern as well. I have bought a couple ebooks via kindle for pc and I don't remember getting the charge. So it must only be via whispernet. Maybe we would just have to do it via computer to avoid the $2.

If the UK doesn't have to pay the $2 fee, then Canada shouldn't either. I would love confirmation of this, but have only heard about the charges.
The $2 is built into the price of the book, it's not a separate charge that you see.

In the UK (like the US) they've got a contract with a carrier, elsewhere it's done through expensive roaming.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:04 PM   #19
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The $2 is built into the price of the book, it's not a separate charge that you see.

In the UK (like the US) they've got a contract with a carrier, elsewhere it's done through expensive roaming.
I bought The Secret Speakers, which was $3.99. As far as I know the price didn't go up. But it was via my computer. So if I went to buy it via a kindle the charge would automatically be $5.99? But if it's just because of the carrier company, I shouldn't get charged to download via wifi, right?
Old 07-29-2010, 04:23 PM   #20
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
I bought The Secret Speakers, which was $3.99. As far as I know the price didn't go up. But it was via my computer. So if I went to buy it via a kindle the charge would automatically be $5.99? But if it's just because of the carrier company, I shouldn't get charged to download via wifi, right?
It's my understanding, from folks here on MR not in the US, that the fee is charged no matter how you download (so if you were being charged it your book would have been $5.99 no matter how you bought/downloaded it). Obviously this fee isn't being charged on the book you bought so maybe Canada isn't charged the extra $2 anymore I'm not sure.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:46 PM   #21
Care
Aes Sedai

Hmmmmmmmmmmm... I wish amazon would just make it clear.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:55 PM   #22
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
KindleGen does a good job usually, don't know if that's based on Mobi's software or not.
KindleGen's based on mobigen, according to the release notes.

I find it tends to produce smaller file sizes (except in the latest version which requires you use the -donotaddsource option unless you want a copy of all your source files incorporated into your mobi) than Calibre normally does, though I don't know if that's solely because you can set for a tighter compression option than Calibre normally uses in its conversion dialogue.

And I think it might be generally better at handling non-escaped Unicode characters in the text if one uses the appropriate -unicode option, though the last time I really tested this with Calibre was several versions ago and they've probably improved matters since.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:00 PM   #23
Diodato
Diodato began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
But how good is the ePub to Mobi conversion in Calibre really? Does it ever fail or mess up the formatting badly often/sometimes/never?
This thread started drifting off-topic. So coming back to your original question let me share with you all my experiences with ePub vs Mobi/PRC.
Calibre does a pretty good job converting. Occasionally you might need to refine the TOC.
The biggest problem with Mobi is that it is quite restrictive with formatting. One has to various tricks to impose the margins, but there is currently no way to change the right margin. Also text-flow around images is very limited - only if the image has the height not bigger than one text line... To me that is unacceptable. I can live with other restrictions.
I accept all the replies Amazon gives for not (yet) supporting ePub - it's all about business. After all, thy invested in Mobipocket. And let's not forget that the true money comes from selling e-books, not readers.
In the attached images you can see one of the worst examples of converting ePub in Mobi - take a look at the original thread Jerome, Jerome K.: Three Men in a Boat (illustrated) v6 07 april 2010 where the beautiful work of zelda_pinwheel gets lost.
And it's not the converter's fault (I used Calibre), just the Mobi's formatting restrictions.
Hope this helps you.

[Left two images are ePub, the other two Mobi; screen captures from Caliber]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ePub1.gif
Views:	346
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	55889   Click image for larger version

Name:	ePub2.gif
Views:	327
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	55890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mobi1.gif
Views:	358
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	55891   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mobi2.gif
Views:	319
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	55892  
Diodato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:18 AM   #24
AdrianM
Connoisseur
AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: nook, K3
Thanks for all the informative posts.

I've pre-ordered the new Kindle and will keep the Nook that's on its way to get the best of both worlds.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:43 PM   #25
BookishMom
Connoisseur
BookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheese

Device: K1, K2, and iPad. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
But how good is the ePub to Mobi conversion in Calibre really? Does it ever fail or mess up the formatting badly often/sometimes/never?
I've converted many ePub to mobi ebooks via Caliber and it turns out perfectly every time. Much, much better than PDF ebooks - readable, but not formatted correctly. ePub to mobi, however, has been great.
BookishMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:00 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Zorz, please remove the overly large graphics from your post and put them in as attachments. They make the thread look awful on an iPad.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:04 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Are those screen shots using Calibre's viewer or Mobipocket Reader? If they are using Calibre, please use Mobipocket as that is the standard to how well a Mobipocket format eBook will look.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote