Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 07:16 PM   #31
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Another possibility is if Splinetime's PC did the Windows 10 Creators update and that screwed things up or precipitated a user interaction that did so (update started rolling out 11Apr17, ver1703 if I recall correctly).

Not that I have heard of any problems along those lines except that I have heard (on the internet so the claim may be a load of rubbish) that now Edge after that update reads epubs that some claim their epub reading changed to defaulting to Edge.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:05 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just took a look at the computer I am using and there is not a single file extension associated with Calibre. I'll check the laptop and see. This is Windows 7. The laptop is Windows 10. But Even there I doubt it.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:21 PM   #33
Sami
Sami began at the beginning.

Device: Ipod Touch, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Another possibility is if Splinetime's PC did the Windows 10 Creators update and that screwed things up or precipitated a user interaction that did so (update started rolling out 11Apr17, ver1703 if I recall correctly).

Not that I have heard of any problems along those lines except that I have heard (on the internet so the claim may be a load of rubbish) that now Edge after that update reads epubs that some claim their epub reading changed to defaulting to Edge.
This did happen to me after that update, I just went in and re-associated my epubs back to Sigil. Haven't noticed anything else weird, yet...
Old 05-25-2017, 02:00 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami View Post
This did happen to me after that update, I just went in and re-associated my epubs back to Sigil. Haven't noticed anything else weird, yet...
I've never had Calibre change any file type association on Windows 7 right up to Windows 10.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:04 PM   #35
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Were you doing a generic install or a Custom install?

I have been doing every (generic) update since 2011 and never had that happem
Old 05-25-2017, 04:58 PM   #36
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Were you doing a generic install or a Custom install?

I have been doing every (generic) update since 2011 and never had that happem
How do you know?

It's only a problem if you have files that have an extension that calibre register's itself as a candidate handler. If those extensions do not have an existing default handler, Windows will make calibre the default handler. As a consequence when you hit Enter on a file with such an extension it will be added to the current calibre database.

File extensions are not 'unique', e.g. one of the ebook formats uses the same extension as one of Autocad's file types - that's how I discovered the issue.

People who drive Windows from their file manager more likely to be sensitive to the issue than those who drive Windows from program launchers such as desktop shortcuts, start menus, Launchy, RocketDock et cetera.

Kovid wouldn't have added the Environment variable and the calibre-debug option if it hadn't been a problem for some users.

BR
Old 05-25-2017, 05:18 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
How do you know?

It's only a problem if you have files that have an extension that calibre register's itself as a candidate handler. If those extensions do not have an existing default handler, Windows will make calibre the default handler. As a consequence when you hit Enter on a file with such an extension it will be added to the current calibre database.
I disagree here. I took a look at sfuller's list of extensions that are now owned by Calibre and some of them I never had assigned to any program before installing Calibre. And none of them are assigned to Calibre now. Calibre does not take control of file extensions.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:22 PM   #38
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@BR: It's not that windows assigns a handler if there is no program already assigned for a file type. It's a little more subtle than that.

If you have Program A assigned to handle filetype F and Program B that says it can also handle filetype F, if you then happen to un-install Program A or if Program A stops claiming to handle filetype F, *then* windows automatically assigns filetype F to Program B
Old 05-26-2017, 10:28 AM   #39
Sami
Sami began at the beginning.

Device: Ipod Touch, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've never had Calibre change any file type association on Windows 7 right up to Windows 10.
Windows 10 Creators update, changed my epub associations to edge, not calibre, that's the first time I've ever seen a not-me initiated file association change happen.

So far I've found win10 to be a right .... to change any associations back once made, found that out with another program, requires mucking about in the registry with a hope and a wish.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:11 PM   #40
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I disagree here. I took a look at sfuller's list of extensions that are now owned by Calibre and some of them I never had assigned to any program before installing Calibre. And none of them are assigned to Calibre now. Calibre does not take control of file extensions.
I never said, explicitly or implicitly, that calibre.exe itself claimed default handler status. What I said was - nominating calibre.exe as a candidate handler establishes a situation whereby *Windows* will make calibre.exe the default handler. Which Kovid has elaborated on.

I have Irfanview, as the default handler for .JPG files. If I uninstalled IrfanView, Windows would probably assign something like Paint.exe as the default handler. So, when I hit Enter on a .JPG file Paint would open it, but unless I did something that directed Paint to save the .JPG, nothing would be written (apart from MRU registry values).

Having calibre.exe as the default handler (e.g. for DOCX, because I uninstalled Word) results in the .DOCX being copied to the current library, possibly creating author and book folders, or perhaps overwriting an existing .DOCX if the Add Books Automerge settings are set up to do that (I'm not a 100% sure on this).

IMO the consequences of the Irfanview/Paint scenario for .JPG files, and Word/Calibre scenario for .DOCX are substantially different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@BR: It's not that windows assigns a handler if there is no program already assigned for a file type. It's a little more subtle than that.

If you have Program A assigned to handle filetype F and Program B that says it can also handle filetype F, if you then happe to un-install Program A or if Program A stops claiming to handle filetype F, *then* windows automatically assigns filetype F to Program B
The 'or' is something I often do, most often via nirsoft's Filetypes manager.

Given my druthers I would send Windows' default handlers to the garbage via an opt-out option. So, when I hit Enter or double clicked on a file for which there were multiple handlers a list of such would pop up - maybe in the Most Frequently Used order. Pre Vista there was a shell extension to do that, but like many such things, Vista also put the kibosh on that.

BR
Closed Thread