Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-14-2010, 07:47 AM   #1
kgn
Groupie
kgn has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 302
Communication Error - more testing

Since upgrading to V0.7.8 I have been getting Communications errors at the end of the device read in process. This happens 3 out of 4 times - ie for all practical purposes, ALL the time (because it takes 15 minutes for each attempt, I usually give up after 45 minutes!).

This is running on Vista 64. On this very same machine, I am also running VMWare images, into one of which (Windows 7) I have installed Calibre. To be clear - this means it is using the same hardware exactly.

I started off with 0.6.55 and worked my way up
0.6.55 - worked perfectly
0.7.1 - seemed to work, but way too slow. Took 27min for only 33%. Gave up.
0.7.2 - worked fine, but did not see the SDHC card on the reader.
0.7.3 - worked fine. No errors.
0.7.4 - works. Some other errors though
0.7.5 - works. Other errors and crashes often though
0.7.6 - works. So far seems to be the best version. No crashes yet.

So it would look like 0.7.8 has introduced some bug.

Last edited by kgn; 07-14-2010 at 09:54 PM. Reason: more testing done
kgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:49 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As I said before, 0.7.x does a lot more when interfacing with devices. This is probably triggering an underlying hardware fault in your reader. Either get a new reader or stick with 0.6.x
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 09:52 PM   #3
kgn
Groupie
kgn has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 302
Well, 0.7.3, 0.7.4, 0.7.5 and 0.7.6 work just fine. So it is NOT a simple 0.6 vs 0.7 problem. Mind you, it could still be my Vista 64. The versions that work are in Win 7 (32).

It seems to be the 32 gig SDHC that seems to be triggering the problem. At least, that is where the error seems to occur. I might switch the SDHC next.
kgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:39 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Most devices have problems with cards larger than 8GB, though I have no personal experience with the PB.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote