Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-30-2020, 05:20 PM   #1
nerdythor
nerdythor began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch With Glow Light
Nook Glowlight Plus won't set up.

I recently got a Nook Glowlight Plus, it's in factory mode and will not connect to Barnes and Noble(either on my old account or even creating a new one). My suspicion here is that the TLS update isn't installed. Is there a way to upgrade the software through windows? If so what's the exact process? What sub folder do I need to put it in for the nook.
nerdythor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 06:31 PM   #2
nerdythor
nerdythor began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch With Glow Light
The error I'm getting is "Error: Unable to connect to the Nook service. Please Try again later."

I've tried putting the unzipped update file in both my Files and the "NOOK" folder in windows explorer. I've also tried the same with the unzipped, all seperately.
nerdythor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2020, 07:26 PM   #3
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Just checking off the obvious factors:

1) Did you buy this from B&N?

If so, return it. Sounds like something is wrong.

If you didn't get it from BN, you might be out of luck. Depending on if it was a used item, it might be a blacklisted device.

2) Do you really need the update? I haven't used a nook in quite some time but I seem to remember you could use them without registering them? Just had to sideload everything.
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:47 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdythor View Post
I recently got a Nook Glowlight Plus, it's in factory mode and will not connect to Barnes and Noble(either on my old account or even creating a new one). My suspicion here is that the TLS update isn't installed. Is there a way to upgrade the software through windows? If so what's the exact process? What sub folder do I need to put it in for the nook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdythor View Post
The error I'm getting is "Error: Unable to connect to the Nook service. Please Try again later."

I've tried putting the unzipped update file in both my Files and the "NOOK" folder in windows explorer. I've also tried the same with the unzipped, all seperately.
Is this the new Glowlight Plus (8") or the old, 6" one? If it's the new one I don't think you would have a TLS issue. Not sure what "factory mode" means either. "Demo" mode? But that "Error: Unable to connect to the Nook service..." happens on a regular basis when I check for updates on my (old, 6") Glowlight Plus. So it may not be the device at all, it may be that B&N is having trouble with their network (again). Do you have a Barnes & Noble near you? I'm pretty sure there is no way to download the firmware updates directly. (Which I think is stupid.)

EDIT: I just checked for update availability on my Glowlight Plus (6") and it did find the server and told me no updates available, so that may not be the issue at this time.

Last edited by rcentros; 01-30-2020 at 07:53 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:39 PM   #5
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Is it the current nook glowlight plus or the old old glow light plus that is white on the front? The old white model has been wonky ever since they upgraded the software to match the new models. If it's used I wonder if the seller stole it and B&N put some sort of stop on it. Have you tried a complete reset?
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert