Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-01-2020, 02:21 AM   #2281
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaupedia View Post
Brand new Kobo owner and came here with the same question. These guys, especially davidfor, are being absolute jerks to you. There is really no reason for it. They could have chosen not to respond. It's disappointing and a major turnoff to have this be my first interaction here after getting my Kobo. Sorry you dealt with it. I can only hope others here are more patient, less condescending, and more kind.
To quote a message that was posted by @davidfor in the thread about the release of firmware 4.22.15190 which was referenced in @NiLuje's response to @mirage's post in this subforum—a thread which @mirage stated he had read:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Firmware 4.22.15190 has been released for all devices except the Mini. There aren't many visible changes. The changes that I know of are:
  • Search filter in store can filter on languages.
  • Busybox has been upgraded to 1.31.1.
  • dosfstools has been updated. This should reduce the frequency that Windows reports the device file system is dirty.
  • The bug where the menu bar in kepubs displayed the wrong icon is fixed.
  • In the store, the filter in the different featured list no longer has the misleading "Featured" entry.

For calibre, there are no changes except to bump the supported firmware version.This will be in the next calibre release. Until then, it is safe to use the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option in the drivers.
This question has been beaten to death in the Kobo devices forum—a quick search on "Attempt to support newer firmware" in that forum showed 169 hits. I admit searching in the calibre forum only showed 8 hits. A Google search on "Attempt to support newer firmware" site:mobileread.com came up with 282 results while "Kobo database version unsupported" managed a respectable 146 results. A search on "Your Kobo is running an updated firmware/database version. As calibre does not know about this updated firmware, database editing is disabled, to prevent corruption. You can still send" site:mobileread.com managed a mere 87 hits while leaving the "s off got 123 hits. More often than not, I find Google does a better job of searching MobileRead than MobileRead's builtin search does.

OTOH, the issue has nothing to do with the KoboTouchExtended driver as it would also happen with calibre's builtin KoboTouch driver. Perhaps the calibre Devices subforum or the Kobo Reader forum would have been better choices in which to post his query.

Just for the heck of it though it may be encouraging thread necromancy: Failed: Kobo database version unsupported?.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-01-2020 at 02:28 AM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:31 AM   #2282
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Brand new Kobo owner and came here with the same question. These guys, especially davidfor, are being absolute jerks to you. There is really no reason for it. They could have chosen not to respond. It's disappointing and a major turnoff to have this be my first interaction here after getting my Kobo. Sorry you dealt with it. I can only hope others here are more patient, less condescending, and more kind.
If your first post had been a similar question, you would have gotten a very different response. If you want to see what that would have been, you can do a search for one of the many times the question has been asked.

But, for all of @mirage's protestations, they are not a newbie. My response was because I had read posts from @mirage and knew that. Was it petty of me? Probably. Do I particularly care, not really.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2020, 01:08 AM   #2283
Beaupedia
Beaupedia began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Do I particularly care, not really.
That much is very obvious. In the future you may want to consider just not responding as an option.
Beaupedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 03:42 AM   #2284
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And the Oscar for completely misunderstanding what is going on goes to...

Quote:
That much is very obvious. In the future you may want to consider just not responding as an option.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:41 AM   #2285
giddie
giddie began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Just to clarify for those that are unaware: davidfor is the maintainer of this plugin (and several others). When you're answering the same questions multiple times about something you've used your free time to give away, I understand that a bit of snark might sneak through. Doesn't mean it's OK; just human
giddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2020, 09:50 AM   #2286
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddie View Post
Just to clarify for those that are unaware: davidfor is the maintainer of this plugin (and several others). When you're answering the same questions multiple times about something you've used your free time to give away, I understand that a bit of snark might sneak through. Doesn't mean it's OK; just human
Just a correction: I'm not the maintainer of the extended driver, but, I help where I can. I am the maintainer of the built-in KoboTouch driver. The extended driver extends that. Hence, a lot of the function seen in the extended driver comes from that. Including the basic device support and hence the warning that started this.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:28 AM   #2287
tourneur
Zealot
tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I have some questions regarding some setting under the Extended tab:

- There are checkboxes for 'Hyphenate files' and 'Disable hyphenation'. How are they different from one another?

- What does 'cleanup epub markup' do and is it recommended?
tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:22 AM   #2288
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourneur View Post
- There are checkboxes for 'Hyphenate files' and 'Disable hyphenation'. How are they different from one another?
'Hyphenate files' will ensure books have rules for hyphenation if they don't already exist, 'Disable hyphenation' will remove any such rules if they do exist. If both are selected, 'Disable hyphenation' takes precedence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourneur View Post
- What does 'cleanup epub markup' do and is it recommended?
Currently it does two things:
  • Removes artifacts present when exporting a Microsoft Office document as an eBook.
  • Removes empty headings (e.g. '<h1></h1>'

I always recommend it, but it's not necessary for standards compliance and sometimes publishers use empty headings (or '<br>', or empty '<p>', or so many things other than the correct way) for spacing so it may change the appearance of the book. If you care more about seeing the book as close as possible to the way it left the publisher, this setting may occasionally break that for you.

The reason for removing empty headings but not other empty content tags is Table of Contents generators frequently look for headings. Having empty headings can cause empty ToC entries to be added.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:58 AM   #2289
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
The reason for removing empty headings but not other empty content tags is Table of Contents generators frequently look for headings. Having empty headings can cause empty ToC entries to be added.
That's true, but I realized that on my Kobo, when the <h1> tag is completely missing in a html file, the (Kobo-)header will automagically named by "START", which I think is considerably ugly. On the other hand, leaving an empty <h1></h1> tag, will leave either nothing (only the page counting) or the header of the last chapter=the last html file.

This might be something for a patch, perhaps.
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:22 PM   #2290
tourneur
Zealot
tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Thanks very much jgoguen!
tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:39 AM   #2291
Beaupedia
Beaupedia began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I never misunderstood, I absolutely knew your role here, but you still were acting like a jerk.
Beaupedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 01:04 AM   #2292
bongoman
bongoman began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
I'm new to the Kobo world and am enjoying my Forma very much.

I'm side loading most of my books from my Calibre library of ePubs.

I've settled on not explicitly converting to kepub and thereby avoiding keeping multiple formats in Calibre, and instead am letting KoboTouchExtended convert to kepub during the process of sending to the Forma.

This is the only extra Kobo specific plugin I've installed apart from Kobo Utilities.

This seems to be working well for me.

In the event that I actually wanted to modify the ePub, I'm guessing I can do an ePub to ePub conversion in Calibre, or use the Modify ePub plugin OR edit the ePub directly itself.

Does this all sound like a reasonable approach to working with kepubs and my Forma?

Does KoboTouchExtended use any of the Calibre settings for conversion

Also, do I need to explicitly disable the Kobo Touch plugin for the Extended plugin to operate properly?
bongoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:00 AM   #2293
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I never misunderstood, I absolutely knew your role here, but you still were acting like a jerk.
Sorry, but this demonstrates that you don't understand what is happening.

And for the record, I've made no claim one way or the other relative to the last part of your statement. In fact, I effectively acknowledged this in my first post.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:19 AM   #2294
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Do you know how often that exact question has been asked and answered? How often @davidfor has answered?

Perhaps my post where I gave the number of results of some searches might have helped you to understand the number of repetitions of that question.

Generally, when I answer the question, I look at the number of posts. 1 to 10 and a recent join date, you get a pass. 90+ posts and a member for 7 years? Pull one of the other ones, it's got bells!

It may be a bit unfair to treat a noob differently from a seasoned veteran but that's life. It doesn't help when the question is asked in a thread unrelated to the source of the problem?

BTW, did you look at the thread I mentioned in conjunction with a comment on thread necromancy? That thread's original post is dated 2012-Sep-22. If my search could find it, I assume that others are going to be to search and find as well.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:28 AM   #2295
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongoman View Post

Does this all sound like a reasonable approach to working with kepubs and my Forma?
Yes, if you keep in mind that it's necessary to remove the book in the ereader so the modifications can appear there (calibre doesn't automatically send the book if you modify the content).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongoman View Post
Also, do I need to explicitly disable the Kobo Touch plugin for the Extended plugin to operate properly?
It's recommended, yes.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
error, kobo aura one