Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-21-2020, 08:41 PM   #376
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@davidfor - would it be better to use the libtessaract library with the python wrapper rather than platform specific executables.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:09 PM   #377
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@davidfor - would it be better to use the libtessaract library with the python wrapper rather than platform specific executables.
That would be what I would try if I was doing this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2020, 08:05 PM   #378
qwertyuio
Enthusiast
qwertyuio began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I can see that this should be a good idea. But, I'm very much against hardcoding external dependencies like this. And especially then requiring they are in the path. It would be much better to make the executable a configurable. And maybe have an option to turn it on and off. But, maybe I am over thinking this.
I 100% agree with you. I should have made it clearer that this was something I hacked together to solve an immediate need. I posted it in case it is useful to anyone else or if anyone wants to take this code and extend it. Unfortunately I don't have the time, interest, or level of Calibre knowledge to continue developing this.
qwertyuio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:49 AM   #379
Ppaa
Ppaa began at the beginning.

Device: Android smartphone
Hi!
Please help.

All attempts to use the plugin end in error:

Exception when scanning for ISBN: not all arguments converted during string formatting
Failed to extract ISBN

But the isbn number exists in the books.
Ppaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:47 AM   #380
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ppaa View Post
Hi!
Please help.

All attempts to use the plugin end in error:

Exception when scanning for ISBN: not all arguments converted during string formatting
Failed to extract ISBN

But the isbn number exists in the books.

That error suggests that I missed something when doing the Python 3 work. Can you post the details of the error message? That gives a line number to look at. And tell us which version of calibre you are using.
Advert
Old 09-30-2020, 08:05 AM   #381
Ppaa

Calibre 5.01 Windows 10

ISBN 1-932603-15-8 on page 7

Starting job: Extract ISBN for 1 books
================================================== =
Title: Epilepsy and Pregnancy - What Every Woman with Epilepsy Should Know Chillemi
Format: PDF
Path: \\192.168.1.3\NASpace\Recipe\Library\2006\Epilepsy and Pregnancy - What Every (621)\Epilepsy and Pregnancy - What E - 2006.pdf
---------------------------------------------------
Failed to extract ISBN
Scan complete, with 1 failures
Old 09-30-2020, 09:06 AM   #382
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Calibre 5.01 Windows 10

ISBN 1-932603-15-8 on page 7

Title: Epilepsy and Pregnancy - What Every Woman with Epilepsy Should Know Chillemi
Path: \\192.168.1.3\NASpace\Recipe\Library\2006\Epilepsy and Pregnancy - What Every (621)\Epilepsy and Pregnancy - What E - 2006.pdf
Failed to extract ISBN
Can you run this with a library that's on a local drive instead of an IP address?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:31 AM   #383
Ppaa

Path: C:\Users\magio\Documents\Library\2006\Epilepsy and Pregnancy - What Every (1)\Epilepsy and Pregnancy - What E - 2006.pdf
Failed to extract ISBN
Old 09-30-2020, 10:05 AM   #384
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Path: C:\Users\magio\Documents\Library\2006\Epilepsy and Pregnancy - What Every (1)\Epilepsy and Pregnancy - What E - 2006.pdf
Failed to extract ISBN
I cannot reproduce this with any PDFs in my library. And unfortunately the error doesn't capture exactly where the error is. Are all the failures for PDFs? Do they have DRM?

Are you running the release version, 1.5.10? There was another release earlier in the year that could use OCR for PDFs. If you are using that, I won't be able to help.

Have you tried converting the PDF to another format? If that doesn't work, I don't think this plugin will work. It uses some of the function that a conversion does to get the text from the PDF and then search that.

If it does convert, I suspect I will only be able to help with a copy of the book. If it is legal to do so, you can post it here. Or, if it is somewhere I can legally download it, please post the link. Otherwise, you can upload it somewhere and send a PM with a link to down it.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:21 AM   #385
Ppaa

This book
Moderator Notice
Link to file removed. Possibly copyright violation. See MR guidlines.

This happens with all files in general. There are no files with drm.

Last edited by theducks; 09-30-2020 at 10:35 AM. Reason: removed link
Old 09-30-2020, 04:00 PM   #386
Ppaa

Rolled back the version to 4.23, but

Title: Atlas of Endometriosis
Path: \\192.168.1.3\NASpace\Recipe\Library\2007\Atlas of Endometriosis (165)\Atlas of Endometriosis - 2007.pdf
Failed to extract ISBN

Without this plugin, it makes no sense for me to use Calibre

Last edited by Ppaa; 09-30-2020 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:04 PM   #387
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So what is the book, what format and where did the book come from?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:18 PM   #388
Ppaa

This error appears on all books in the library.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:48 PM   #389
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
it may be that none of the books HAVE ISBN's embedded.

This PI is mostly for those that do not have other sources for metadata (and have been issued a ISBN
(none of my owners manuals have ISBN's, but they are PDF )

Why not search the Internet for the book, then see if Calibre (or MR) has a Metadata source PI for that site?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:18 PM   #390
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Rolled back the version to 4.23, but

Title: Atlas of Endometriosis
Path: \\192.168.1.3\NASpace\Recipe\Library\2007\Atlas of Endometriosis (165)\Atlas of Endometriosis - 2007.pdf
Failed to extract ISBN

Without this plugin, it makes no sense for me to use Calibre
I have the copy of the book you sent. I can't reproduce it. When I try, I get:

Code:
=================================================== 
Title:  Obstetric Anesthesia and Uncommon Disorders Gambling 
Path:   E:\Library\Testing\2008\Obstetric Anesthesia and Uncommon D (1197)\Obstetric Anesthesia and Uncomm - 2008.pdf 
Failed to initialize plugin: 'C:\\Users\\davidfor\\AppData\\Roaming\\calibre\\plugins\\DeDRM.zip'
  PDF page count: 456 
      Invalid ISBN match: -13    978-0-521-87 
      Invalid ISBN match: -13 978-0-511-38804 
      Valid ISBN13: 9780521870825 

Scan time: 2.15 secs 
  The isbn was found in 2.15 secs 
  New ISBN extracted of: 9780521870825 
=================================================== 
Scan complete, with 0 failures
The plugin does use an external routine that is part of a module that is included with calibre. It could be your anti-virus blocking it. It also needs to create a temporary file. Again, the anti-virus can block this. There plenty of discussion about this problem and how to work around it.

You say this happens for all your books. Do you only have PDFs? Or is it failing for epubs or other formats?

Did you try the conversion I suggested? This will help tell if it is calibre or something external blocking it.

And, has this ever worked? Or is this the first time you have tried the plugin?