Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-21-2009, 03:12 PM   #76
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdean256 View Post
As you annotate a PDF file the screen gradually darkens I guess because it only updates the pixels that were scribbled on (I have read an explanation of this phenomenon on this forum somewhere). As you scribble a band becomes evident across the screen. Text within the band is still easily readable. I goes away when you change pages.
aha yes, I have seen that, wierd!!
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:35 PM   #77
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Need help for icons

I need help from people that are better in creating graphics then me. The xournal documents are now shown as txt-documents in the Content Browser (if you applied the previous patch). This can be improved if new icons are created. In the attached zip file you will find various sizes of the txt-icon that you see now:
icon-txt-medium.png
icon-txt-small.png and
icon-txt-mini.png
For these three I need new icons, same format, same dimension.
I also added some icons I could find in the xournal distribution, they can be used as a starting point (it would make then recognisable for people using xournal on their (linux) desktop computer).
Attached Files
File Type: zip bitmaps.zip (15.4 KB, 213 views)
Advert
Old 07-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #78
Mackx
Guru

Need help for menu icons

Apart from the icons above, I also need icons for the following menu icons that I am adding in the 'native' DR menu (see previous posts). I have currently re-used some default icons that are already available in the DR (from other applications).:
Print, Save As, Save, New Page, Quit
New, Open, Undo, Redo
First Page, Previous Page, Next Page and Last Page.
For every of the items above I need two icons. One if the same format/dimensions as empty.png and one if the same format/dimensions as toolbar_open.png (I did not create an 'empty' version of this one yet).

Both requests would make Xournal more 'attractive' to us users.

I hope there are some artists willing to help.
Attached Files
File Type: zip menuicons.zip (5.4 KB, 234 views)
Old 07-21-2009, 04:59 PM   #79
godel10
Connoisseur
godel10 doesn't littergodel10 doesn't littergodel10 doesn't litter

Device: Sony Librie, Irex DR1000S
About using xournal as "merging software"

First of all, thanks to Mackx for exporting xournal to our device.

Some minutes ago I have tried (my first time) the PC version of this software, and it is really great. I cannot understand why this application is not more well-known; it seems really wonderful for the people that do a daily research using pdf's.

I hope to try the Irex version around this weekend, but before I would like to point out here something.

One of the main drawbacks of the device (at this point) is still the merging software. I have managed to compile the alternative Linux version written by thomega (and available in this forum), but at least to me it is not working in all cases (for small files it is fine). I think that perhaps the easiest way to get a merging software would be to write some software converting the "metadata.db" files (which store the scribbles) from the Irex device into ".xoj".

If we could manage to do this, then we could automatically obtain all other functionalities for a merging software (like merging into a new pdf file, etc) using xournal software in a PC. In other words, it seems to me that it would be enough to create this conversion utility.

And here is the question for the people that know how xournal and DR1000S are respectively managing the keystrokes. Do you believe it is difficult to write this conversion software?
godel10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:14 PM   #80
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
There is an "Annotate PDF" function in Xournal. That might be easier to implement, I'm guessing.
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2009, 02:02 AM   #81
windspeedo
Enthusiast
windspeedo began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000, Kindle 3G, Kobo Glo
First of all. Thanks Mackx for the pdf enhancement.
I wonder whether it is normal or not. I installed the xournal on the top post. Then the pdfV1. Then the pdfV3a. full install. Everything is OK except that there would be a message "unable to start PDF loader pdftoppm" whenever I tried to open a pdf or annotate PDF.
windspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:30 AM   #82
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by windspeedo View Post
Everything is OK except that there would be a message "unable to start PDF loader pdftoppm" whenever I tried to open a pdf or annotate PDF.
Unfortunately only printing to PDF is supported, annotating a pdf not (yet?). I am not sure if annotating pdfs will be as efficient in xournal as in the native PDF viewer. The native PDF viewer is optimised for the DR including pre-loading and decoding of pages. So if you only want to write some scribbles on an empty document you can choose xournal. For annotating existing documents, you still need to use the native pdf-viewer.

From your reaction in the 'templates'-thread I thought that you were writting on 'empty' pdf-files and not annotating pdf-files with content.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:09 PM   #83
Mackx
Guru

New Experimental version

I am trying to get better file open and save dialogs, so I experimented by making my own dialog with a gtk_file_chooser_widget. I think this makes them more usefull. These are still 'experimental' dialogs so I only supply the 'V4' version of xournal, copy it over the existing program in Programs/_xournal/ (see previous posts).
This version also has an 'auto-save' option that will save the current file when the DR does an automatic shutsdown after 30min of idle time. To restore the document, open xournal and it will show the file that was saved before shutting down.
Please let me know what you think of it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip xournal.zip (349.1 KB, 266 views)
Old 07-25-2009, 12:29 AM   #84
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
I am trying to get better file open and save dialogs, so I experimented by making my own dialog with a gtk_file_chooser_widget. I think this makes them more usefull. These are still 'experimental' dialogs so I only supply the 'V4' version of xournal, copy it over the existing program in Programs/_xournal/ (see previous posts).
This version also has an 'auto-save' option that will save the current file when the DR does an automatic shutsdown after 30min of idle time. To restore the document, open xournal and it will show the file that was saved before shutting down.
Please let me know what you think of it.
The new Save As menu is vastly superior to the old one! Much easier to navigate. One nice thing would be if it were to remember the location you last saved to. Also, I love the idea of the auto-save - how do you enable it, or is it permanently enabled?

Thanks for your dedication to this project.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:04 AM   #85
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieClarken View Post
The new Save As menu is vastly superior to the old one! Much easier to navigate. One nice thing would be if it were to remember the location you last saved to. Also, I love the idea of the auto-save - how do you enable it, or is it permanently enabled?

Thanks for your dedication to this project.
Thanks.

Do you want to remember the location once xournal is started, or should it remember the location when you start it again? I will have a look at it, I think it currently uses the location where it was started, I could change that to the root of the SD-card. I use xournal to note down some idieas and remarks that I have for work or private. I created some directories on the SD-card for the different subjects. In each directory I copied the short-cut to xournal (the .desktop-file), so if I want to add a new note, I go to the correct directory and start xournal with teh local short-cut. When I want to save, it is at the correct location.

Autosave is permanently on, it react on the CardUnmount-event, that is also send when the DR shutsdown.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:32 AM   #86
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Do you want to remember the location once xournal is started, or should it remember the location when you start it again? I will have a look at it, I think it currently uses the location where it was started, I could change that to the root of the SD-card. I use xournal to note down some idieas and remarks that I have for work or private. I created some directories on the SD-card for the different subjects. In each directory I copied the short-cut to xournal (the .desktop-file), so if I want to add a new note, I go to the correct directory and start xournal with teh local short-cut. When I want to save, it is at the correct location.
I was thinking it should remember your last save location between Xournal sessions but now I read your method I think that is a nice solution. I'll copy a Xournal shortcut into each of my folders and give it a go.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:12 PM   #87
windspeedo
Enthusiast
windspeedo began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000, Kindle 3G, Kobo Glo
Quote:
From your reaction in the 'templates'-thread I thought that you were writting on 'empty' pdf-files and not annotating pdf-files with content.
Exactly. I just tried to become familiar with the Xournal.
Your version of Xournal is fantastic for iRex DR1000S.
Thanks Mack.
windspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:49 AM   #88
Mackx
Guru

The major problem that V4 has is stability. I did some experimenting and all the hang-ups I got seem to be related with a 'full-refresh' being triggered by the DR-firmware and scribbling at the same time. It seems that you should not send new commands to the (low-level) display-driver when another command is still executing. When examening the DR firmware (display.c in sysd), it seems that it does its best to align updates of the screen and I am sure that in the DR-uds (used to scribble on pdf-files) it has done its best to prohibit scribble updates to the driver after a 'big' screen refresh. I am not sure if I can prevent the crashes without a major rewrite of xournal or with help from iRex (make driver more robust? or tell me how to prevent hang-up?).
I am still using the V4 version myself, I always enable key-lock, so that I can not accidentally press a key and trigger a full screen refresh. I also take care that after I start, after an undo/redo or after a page-switch, I carefully do the first stokes, let it do a full-screen update and then continue. I also save regulary. During my actual use of xournal I did not get a crash only during experiments.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:40 AM   #89
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
I guess maybe the hang-up problem is caused by both the modified GTK+ lib and your code trying to re-draw (using e-ink display driver) that GtkWidget in the same time. If my conjecture is correct, making the GtkWidget un-aware of expose-event temporarily can solve the hang-ups problem.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:46 AM   #90
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 1000s
I have a silly question here. Sorry for this. To make notes by the DR, one possible way is by using templates and there is a thread. I think the templates are fine. So what is the Xournal for? I mean whether there are some special functions or benefits we could have by using the Xournal? Sorry for my questions and thanks.
yingwu is offline   Reply With Quote