Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 06-19-2008, 09:23 PM   #1
SandDanz
SandDanz began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise, Sony PRS-600 (red)
Question SM Card not detected?

I just received my eBookwise in the mail today and the SM Card that came with it does not appear to be working. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if it's the card so I thought I'd ask here. I've added books to the reader and it now says that my internal disk is full so it's obviously not trying to transfer to the SM card at all. Is there something special I need to do in order to get it to detect the card or should that be automatic?

I appreciate any/all help.

SandDanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:30 PM   #2
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandDanz View Post
I just received my eBookwise in the mail today and the SM Card that came with it does not appear to be working. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if it's the card so I thought I'd ask here. I've added books to the reader and it now says that my internal disk is full so it's obviously not trying to transfer to the SM card at all. Is there something special I need to do in order to get it to detect the card or should that be automatic?

I appreciate any/all help.

With most readers, the book needs to be completely off before you insert the card. If the reader is either on or especially if it is trying to transfer any data, it can corrupt the card.

So, turn the book off. Then remove the card, and put it back in the reader. Turn the book back on. See if it will read the card. If not ... turn the book off, remove the card, and try the card in any other computer or card reader in which it will fit. See if one of those can read it.

Also, what is the card type and size?? I'm assuming that since it came with the book, it should be compatible. But ... you never know.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2008, 09:49 PM   #3
SandDanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
With most readers, the book needs to be completely off before you insert the card. If the reader is either on or especially if it is trying to transfer any data, it can corrupt the card.

So, turn the book off. Then remove the card, and put it back in the reader. Turn the book back on. See if it will read the card. If not ... turn the book off, remove the card, and try the card in any other computer or card reader in which it will fit. See if one of those can read it.

Also, what is the card type and size?? I'm assuming that since it came with the book, it should be compatible. But ... you never know.
I've tried a few times to turn off the book, remove the card, re-insert, and turn back on with no luck. Unfortunately, I have no other reader to try the card in.

As for the card itself... all it says on it is ID and 64MB. So... I'm not sure what model it is if there is one.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:39 PM   #4
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandDanz View Post
I've tried a few times to turn off the book, remove the card, re-insert, and turn back on with no luck. Unfortunately, I have no other reader to try the card in.

As for the card itself... all it says on it is ID and 64MB. So... I'm not sure what model it is if there is one.
Let's try going back to basics.

The SM card does indeed have markings like ID 64MB (on the copper contacts side) so this is a start. In addition the SM card has a notched top right corner when looking at the ID 64MB side. In the ebook, the ID 64MB side goes in, face down!

Now let's try to see if the ebook can see your SM card.

First, with the card installed, turn on the ebook and find and tap the 'Info' icon, then tap the 'more' button. This will display some information like Your Name, Phone Number, User ID and the viewer software revision as well as the unit's Serial Number.

Now to the important part, there should be a message saying that the "Content storage is on external Flash disk ....(%) free of 64 MB total"

If you however see the message "Content storage is on internal Flash disk ....(%) free of 8 MB total", then you know for sure that the SM card is not being recognized.

What can you do to try to salvage this situation, depends on your willingness to try things prior to returning it.

I would try to, in order, until you have good results:

(1) reset your ebook using a paper clip poked through the hole under the SM card flap on the back.

(2) turn off the ebook reader, then while holding the 'down' page button, turn on the ebook. You will notice a message saying "Arranging your Bookshelf...". Now tap 'Info', then 'more', then 'more' again. You have just accessed the diagnostics/debug screen. Tap the 'erase external' button and allow it to finish re-formatting the SM card. Now turn off the ebook, wait, then turn it on regularly (without holding any button down).

(3) if all else fails, just return the defective SM card for replacement.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:46 PM   #5
SandDanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Let's try going back to basics.

The SM card does indeed have markings like ID 64MB (on the copper contacts side) so this is a start. In addition the SM card has a notched top right corner when looking at the ID 64MB side. In the ebook, the ID 64MB side goes in, face down!

Now let's try to see if the ebook can see your SM card.

First, with the card installed, turn on the ebook and find and tap the 'Info' icon, then tap the 'more' button. This will display some information like Your Name, Phone Number, User ID and the viewer software revision as well as the unit's Serial Number.

Now to the important part, there should be a message saying that the "Content storage is on external Flash disk ....(%) free of 64 MB total"

If you however see the message "Content storage is on internal Flash disk ....(%) free of 8 MB total", then you know for sure that the SM card is not being recognized.

What can you do to try to salvage this situation, depends on your willingness to try things prior to returning it.

I would try to, in order, until you have good results:

(1) reset your ebook using a paper clip poked through the hole under the SM card flap on the back.

(2) turn off the ebook reader, then while holding the 'down' page button, turn on the ebook. You will notice a message saying "Arranging your Bookshelf...". Now tap 'Info', then 'more', then 'more' again. You have just accessed the diagnostics/debug screen. Tap the 'erase external' button and allow it to finish re-formatting the SM card. Now turn off the ebook, wait, then turn it on regularly (without holding any button down).

(3) if all else fails, just return the defective SM card for replacement.
Your #2 is what worked for me as I just got a similar response from the eBookwise site suggesting to try this as well and after 2 attempts at re-formatting (the first one failed IMMEDIATELY!!!) it re-formatted and is now being recognized and storing my books. YAY!!!!

I really appreciate all your help on this!
Advert