Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-20-2014, 02:15 AM   #1
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Aura HD won't charge

Ran into a weird problem. My Kobo was reporting 35%. So I plugged it in overnight. When I unplugged it, it went immediately from "Charged" back to 35%.

Now it's completely discharged. I'm worried that when I unplug it, it won't have charged at all.

Any thoughts?
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:30 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
If it's completely discharged, plug it in _now_, to a wall charger or awake computer.

What was it plugged into? I'm wondering if you'd plugged it into an awake computer, it charged, so the screen was showing "Charged"; but then the computer fell asleep and drained charge.

Your best next bet is to plug it into a wall charger. If it doesn't charge, change the cable. If that doesn't work, call Kobo.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2014, 02:32 AM   #3
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It completely discharged. I've plugged it into this computer; it's reporting "Charged" (which is impossible.) If I unplug it, it immediately shuts itself off.

I think I'll be calling Kobo this weekend. Grrrr.

I'm using the USB cable that I use to charge my phone. Definitely not the cable.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:42 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I would plug it in to a wall charger right now. The usual power-off and resets might be a good plan too.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:47 AM   #5
EndlessWaves
Zealot
EndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
I'm using the USB cable that I use to charge my phone. Definitely not the cable.
If it came with your phone I would have thought there's a good chance it is the cable, mobile phone companies are known for chicanery like proprietary extensions to standards without altering their appearance. I know at least one of them has monkeyed with USB to implement their own non-standard charging signals.

It's definitely worth trying the cable that came with the Aura HD or a cable you know is a standard one.
EndlessWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2014, 02:12 PM   #6
ottdmk
Wizard

Aura HD won't charge - Resolved

So, I've been in touch with Kobo regarding my Aura HD. They're shipping me out a new one immediately.

This was my first time dealing with the revamped Kobo Customer Service department. For the most part, it was quite positive.

They were a little slow when I first wrote them Saturday. I didn't get any response until Sunday morning. Since then, it's was pretty much as expected. I got back in touch twice via the webform. While one attempt it took them an hour or so to get back to me, the other was indeed within five minutes.

After reading a few accounts of returns here, I was happy to see that they will be sending me a pre-paid mailer to return the defective unit.

So this has been resolved in three days, with only one full regular business day (Monday.) Pretty good for remote support, imho.

For anyone curious, the spoiler button includes the e-mail chain. I've removed all my personal data (including the incident report #.)

Spoiler:
Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support
center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen it
within the next 10 days.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
Kobo Aura HD will not charge

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email(Megumi N) - 06/24/2014 01:12 PM
Dear ,

Thank you for contacting Kobo Customer Care.

The information you provided confirmed your eReader/Tablet is eligible for replacement under warranty.

An order will be created to ship you a replacement device right away.

Your replacement will include a pre-paid mailing bag and detailed instructions on how to return the defective device to us. On the mailing label, you will find a peel-off tracking number with the words “Retain for your records” beside it. Please peel off the tracking number and keep it in a safe place. The tracking number will allow us to locate your shipment if necessary.

Please do not place any accessories (User manuals, SD memory cards, receipts, Gela skins, etc.) or your charger. THESE ITEMS WILL NOT BE RETURNED SHOULD THEY BE INCLUDED WITH YOUR SHIPMENT.

*** Be advised that in-person deliveries from Kobo customers to Ingram Micro will not be accepted under any circumstances ***

Your reference number is: .

Sincerely,

The Kobo Team

Response Via Email(Uzma A) - 06/23/2014 05:21 PM
Dear ,

Thank you for contacting Kobo Customer Care. It was a pleasure assisting you today.

We have received the requested information and forwarded it to our Returned Merchandize Authorization department.

A customer care agent from our RMA department will email you in 24 to 48 business hours.

For future assistance visit www.KoboBooks.com/Help or give us a call anytime.

Sincerely,

The Kobo Team

Customer By Email () - 06/23/2014 03:40 PM
Part 1 - My Contact Information:

Primary Telephone #:
Secondary Telephone #:
Kobo account e-mail address:

Part 2 - Kobo eReader Information
Kobo eReader Model: Kobo Aura HD
Colour on front: Black
Colour on Back: Black
I will accept a different colour.

Purchase date: 2014-02-02
Purchase location: Future Shop South Ottawa

I've attached my receipt in both image & pdf format.

Cheers,

On June 23, 2014 03:01:26 PM Kobo Customer Care wrote:
>

==================== application File Attachment ====================
order_receipt.pdf, 8076 bytes, Added to incident

==================== image File Attachment ====================
kobo_receipt.jpeg, 93137 bytes, Added to incident

Response Via Email(Uzma A) - 06/23/2014 03:01 PM
Dear ,

Thank you for contacting Kobo Customer Care. It was a pleasure assisting you today.

Based on the information you have provided, your Kobo eReader/Tablet will need to be exchanged.

To proceed with the replacement process, please answer all of the following questions:

Part 1 - Your Contact Information

Name:
Street Name and #:
Apt/Suite/Unit # (if applicable):
Intercom/Entrance Code (if applicable):
City:
State/Province/Territory:
Zip/Post Code:

Primary Telephone #:
Secondary Telephone #:
Email address of your Kobo Account:

Part 2 - Your Kobo eReader/Tablet Information

Kobo eReader Model: Original, WiFi, Touch, Vox, Glo, Mini, Aura, or Aura HD

OR

Kobo Tablet Model: Kobo Arc, Arc 7, Arc 7 HD, or Arc 10
Tablet Memory (16, 32, 64 GB):

Colour on front:
Colour on back:
If your current device colour is not in stock, will you accept a different colour?

Purchase date of your Kobo eReader/Tablet (please attach a scanned proof of purchase):
Purchase location of your Kobo eReader/Tablet:

Once this information has been reviewed, we’ll contact you with information regarding the next steps.

For future assistance visit www.KoboBooks.com/Help or give us a call anytime.

Sincerely,

The Kobo Team

Customer By Email () - 06/22/2014 03:25 PM
Hi,

I believe the attached info should satisfy all conditions. If anything else
is required please contact me as soon as possible.

Thank you,

On June 22, 2014 12:31:38 PM you wrote:
>

==================== Message Attachment ====================

==================== text File Attachment ====================
Attachment 1.html, 14728 bytes, Added to incident

Attachment 2.html, 21338 bytes, Added to incident

Attachment 3.html, 21400 bytes, Added to incident

filename.BMP, 83254 bytes, Added to incident

filename.BMP, 12718 bytes, Added to incident

filename.BMP, 27574 bytes, Added to incident

2014-06-22_15-05-32.jpg, 1888346 bytes, Added to incident

2014-06-22_15-05-51.jpg, 1736610 bytes, Added to incident

Response Via Email(Natalie S) - 06/22/2014 12:31 PM
Dear ,

Thank you for contacting Kobo Customer Care. It was a pleasure speaking with you.

In order to proceed we require images of the front and back of your device as well as a copy of your receipt for warranty purposes.

Once your information has been reviewed, our level 2 support will contact you with information about the next steps in the process.

For further assistance, you may visit us at www.kobobooks.com/help or give us a call at anytime.

Sincerely,

The Kobo Team

Response Via Email(Natalie S) - 06/22/2014 09:06 AM
Dear ,

Thank you for contacting Kobo Customer Care. We tried to contact you today but missed you.

We will contact you again another time to resolve your issue.

For future assistance, you may visit us at www.kobobooks.com/help or feel free to call us anytime.

For your record, your reference number is:. .

Sincerely,

The Kobo Team

Auto-Response - 06/21/2014 02:13 PM
Thank you for contacting Kobo Customer Care.

The details of your inquiry have been saved under support ticket # .

Sincerely,
The Kobo Team

Customer By Web Form () - 06/21/2014 02:13 PM
While on vacation I noticed my Kobo Aura HD was at roughly 35% of power. I plugged it in. When I unplugged it the following morning, it read fully charged... until roughly 10 seconds after I unplugged it. Then it went back to 35%.

This repeated itself several times. I noticed that when I plugged it in, it immediately reported that the battery was fully charged. (This, of course, is impossible.) As soon as I unplugged it, it returned to the previous power level, no matter how long I left it plugged in.

I have verified that the power supply and cord are properly functioning. I have used both to successfully charge my cell phone. The cord being used is the cord supplied with my Aura HD.

The Kobo is now completely discharged, and I am unable to restart it even when it is plugged in.

Question Reference #
Product Level 1: Kobo eReader
Product Level 2: Aura HD
Category Level 1: Hardware
Category Level 2: Battery Issues
Date Created: 06/21/2014 02:13 PM
Last Updated: 06/24/2014 01:12 PM
Place Of Purchase: Future Shop
Incident Source:
Incident Language: English
Phone Number: