Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Verboten purchase downloads

I recently tried to buy a comic ebook (Bloom County) from both Barnes and Noble and Amazon. Neither one of them would let me download the ebook to my pc.

Does anyone hear know why? Somehow, there is a class of books that are verboten on anything but a e-reader/tablet...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Occasionally I've run across books that only work on certain devices or apps. Generally something that's 'fixed format' where the suppliers haven't added that functionality to all apps yet.

For Bloom County it looks like the Nook Win 8 app works with it, so I guess that's an option for some PC's. (B&N isn't developing their regular Windows app any more) For Kindle it can be read in a browser using the Cloud Reader, but that seems the only possible PC solution right now. For Kobo it looks like iOS and Android only too.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I checked the first Calvin and Hobbes compilation at Amazon and it lists what devices it runs on. No mention of Kindle for PC, only Kindle for Win8. But that one does allow downloads of a sort, I hear.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
It won't let you open most of the large format books in the Cloud Reader. Not all comic strips are fixed format. I looked at a For Better or Worse the other day, and most of the strips are done in a way where the Sunday strips are actually multiple rows. So when you have it in portrait mode, you see the full thing, and then two rows of it in landscape on a Kindle (in my case Paperwhite).

Bloom County is fixed though, and REALLY fixed. There's one one comic per page and LOTS of wasted space. Doesn't even make sense as an eBook.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #5
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
So in order to buy the book, I have to buy either Win8 (which I don't want, at over $100), or a new ebook reader, which I don't want (at $70 to $100).

(And it is book dependent. I bought and downloaded a Dilbert book, no problem.)

What a bunch of blithering idiots...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2013, 01:32 AM   #6
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I've run into something like this at Barnes & Noble. They won't allow magazines -- at least, the ones I subscribe to -- to be downloaded to the PC, but I can download them to my tablet via Nook for Android. And then I can move them to my PC or ereader. The only reason I've seen for this is "special formatting" but it displays just fine on my ereader.

I suspect it's mostly comics and magazines. At least, I've never encountered it with a book.

It's an annoyance, but I already had a couple of tablets, so I can live with it.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:34 AM   #7
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
So in order to buy the book, I have to buy either Win8 (which I don't want, at over $100), or a new ebook reader, which I don't want (at $70 to $100).

(And it is book dependent. I bought and downloaded a Dilbert book, no problem.)

What a bunch of blithering idiots...
They never listen.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote