Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 11-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
ldrover
Connoisseur
ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad Mini
Marvin, Calibre and Dropbox

My Calibre library is in Dropbox. That way whether I add books from my desktop or my laptop, the library is always in sync. If I connect Marvin to my Dropbox, will it interfer with this? Once connected, does Marvin let you pick and choose which books to import or does it download the entire library?
ldrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldrover View Post
My Calibre library is in Dropbox. That way whether I add books from my desktop or my laptop, the library is always in sync. If I connect Marvin to my Dropbox, will it interfer with this?
No, that'll work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldrover View Post
Once connected, does Marvin let you pick and choose which books to import or does it download the entire library?
The former. You get to choose from the newest 1000 books (a Dropbox API limit).
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #3
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I have the same setup (Calibre library on dropbox and Marvin) and it works great.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
UKPFC
UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UKPFC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Mini
At the moment I just have a copy of the Calibre library files on dropbox rather then the actual Calibre. It didn't occur to me to run the whole thing from there. can I just move it, is it easy?
UKPFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:07 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Yeah, it's pretty easy, just copy-paste the library folder to your Dropbox folder (or on Ubuntu you can simply make a shortcut, Ubuntu shortcuts are symlinks that make the filesystem think the folder is there too. This does NOT work on Windows -- though there is a way to create symlinks, this isn't it.)

Be VERY careful! If you try to access the library from two different computers by syncing with dropbox, you can destroy your library by editing the database from two different places at the same time.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2013, 12:28 AM   #6
Faterson
pokrıvač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKPFC View Post
At the moment I just have a copy of the Calibre library files on dropbox rather then the actual Calibre. It didn't occur to me to run the whole thing from there. can I just move it, is it easy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Yeah, it's pretty easy, just copy-paste the library folder to your Dropbox folder

I would recommend going to Calibre Preferences, and click on Run Welcome Wizard there. The very first screen gives you the option to move your Library folder. (I mirror my Calibre Library in SugarSync, which has the advantage of not being obliged to move Calibre's default folder.)
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
I would recommend going to Calibre Preferences, and click on Run Welcome Wizard there. The very first screen gives you the option to move your Library folder. (I mirror my Calibre Library in SugarSync, which has the advantage of not being obliged to move Calibre's default folder.)
Of course, that's an option. I just happen to like symlinking folders that are supposed to be elsewhere to sync in Dropbox. It works for me, so I'm happy. It may not be for everyone. Mind you, it's also faster than Windows copying several gigs over, though linux I believe just tells the inode(s) to move, instead of the whole folder, which makes it much faster.

Anyway, I find it easier to visualize all my files in obvious places, with Dropbox subdirectories/files pointing to my synced data. For the same reason you use SugarSync.

I also symlink the calibre config folder, for use on two Ubuntu 12.04 computers. (Same username, so all the paths are EXACTLY the same, and neither has blown up yet.)
Old 11-06-2013, 01:01 AM   #8
Faterson
pokrıvač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
I believe Dropbox themselves advise against symlinking. I wouldn't recommend it, especially because moving the Calibre library is 1 press of a button on that Welcome Wizard screen, and it's a one-time process, so whether it takes 5 seconds or 5 minutes is really irrelevant. Besides, it makes absolutely no difference to Calibre as to where it stores its Library, so that it's pointless to insist on the folder's original location.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:23 AM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Practicing my Google-fu, it seems they advise against that ON WINDOWS, as Windows never really caught on to symlinks anyway, and Windows+Dropbox may just gargle your symlink.

Even then, it just won't tell dropbox that stuff got updated, I think.
http://www.dropboxwiki.com/tips-and-...ommand_Prompts

Nevertheless, they work great on Unix-based OS's, and it makes a difference to ME where I keep it, so I'm happy. What can I say, it works for me.

Last edited by eschwartz; 11-06-2013 at 01:31 AM.