Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Hidden Mountain Curriers Kindle PW Case (pic heavy)

My favorite case for any device was an M-Edge brown leather Go cover for my K2. But when I decided to try out the Kindle Fire, I ended up gifting that cover (and device) to a relative, and ever since I've regretted it. Now that I am back with the e-ink Kindle family and my new Paperwhite, I decided to go looking for a similar case. But M-Edge has gone down in quality quite a bit from back when I purchased that first Go case, and they no longer offer anything in real brown leather, and most of their products use a sub-par leather called "corrected grain" which generally has a plastic feel.

So where does one turn for a really quality product built to spec? Etsy of course. That's where I found Hidden Mountain Curriers, a leather shop specializing in device cases (as well as some packs and pouches). They had cases for the Kindle Touch and other readers, but nothing for the Paperwhite yet, so I wrote to the owner Josh Jessup and he told me he could do a case for the KPW - it would be his first.

I ordered mine custom in brown stone-oiled leather, with a elastic strap rather than a button flap as some of his other Kindle cases have. I've never liked having that flap closure since it tends to get in the way, and the elastic works pretty well. I also figured if I wanted to get rid of the elastic it would be pretty easy to just cut away, but for now I'm keeping it in place.

The leather Jeff uses is a oiled and waxed full-grain leather from the Horween Leather company in Chicago. It's really top-grade stuff, and I expect that it will be outlast my kindle by a few decades. There really is no substitute for a full-grain leather case in either the feel or the smell. Over time, I expect that the case will gain more character and develop a patina, which will only make it look better.

The Kindle is held in place by three leather straps and one elastic straps. This system works very well, and on my case the Kindle is very securely in place. The straps on my case were not perfect though - two were a little on the tight side, and one was a little loose. The tightness of the straps does cause some pulling on the case in other places, so the lower edges of the case "warp" up a bit. Over time I expect the leather will stretch a bit and everything will fall in to place - this is just the nature of working with natural materials.

The rest of the case is also very well made, and it's very comfortable to hold. There is a little bit of extra material all around the device, which makes gripping it pretty easy and makes the case pretty protective in case of a fall on the edge, though I do think that it could be trimmed up a bit to provide a tighter and lighter package. The cuts on the leather and the sewing is all very nicely done, though it is clear that it is handmade - once again, if you're looking for something manufactured in China, this isn't the case for you.

The front and back flaps of the case are each two layers of leather, sewn together on three sides so that there is a pouch formed on both sides. Neither side is reinforced with other materials as some other cases are, though it would be possible to insert any material of your choice (i.e. cardboard, foam, cheese) in those pouches to make them more protective. I prefer my cases without extra padding so I'm just using those pouches to store a few business cards and notes.

The cost of most of Josh's cases is around $70 shipped. While this is a little high, the quality and workmanship of it justify the expense in my opinion, as does supporting local business. Jeff was great to work with and was both accomodating and speedy in completing the case - just a week from order to doorstep, despite this being his first KPW case. I'd definitely recommend Hidden Mountain Curriers to anyone looking for a good case for their e-reader or other device.

Last edited by weatherman; 10-26-2012 at 01:59 PM.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
Ocicat
Groupie
Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Librie,PRS900,950,K4, KT, PW1&2, KV
This is a gorgeous case! My kind of leather.

Sometimes when I see all those cardboard "leather" case, billfolds, briefcases I worry that people will forget what good quality leather is supposed to feel like.

I hardly use my K4, got a Marware flip for the PW, but I may try to get one for my PRS950, my main e-reader. Thank you for the pictures and the name.
Ocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Very nice.

My problem with these cases is those straps just ruin the aesthetics for me.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Very nice! Thanks for sharing the pics. I'm glad you found a case you like.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Your case is missing the magnetic clasp to put the PW to sleep and turn it on when opened.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Very nice.

My problem with these cases is those straps just ruin the aesthetics for me.
Y'know, they have bothered me in the past as well, but the fact that they are mostly leather makes it easier to tolerate. I guess it'd be nice if the one elastic strap had a leather cover on it, to make it at least more uniform, but it doesn't bother me too much.

All the other systems for retaining the Kindle rely on plastic bits, which I can't stand. The old K3K case with the "rail" mount was the best solution, but that's just not possible anymore.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #7
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Thanks for sharing! I love the type of leather they use. Back in the days of paper, I had a Filofax made out of this type of thick leather in this exact color. Memories.....

I can't get past the corner straps, though. They just tend to ruin the esthetics for me...

I found these Lapueze covers that are gorgeous for the Touch, so I am hoping they will make them for the PW as well. I inquired by email but never received a reply.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote