Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #16
dedgod
Enthusiast
dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kindle PW2
Mine is doing it too. If I access the dictionary from while reading a book, I get the message "Activity Reader (in application Reader) is not responding". If I try opening the dictionary directly from Home, I get "The application Reader has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

Mine just started doing this as it was out of warranty. I has alos seen that Nook users are reporting the same exact message. No one seems to have a solution yet ( Besides buying a Kindle )

I have just posted it to the Sony support forum, so we'll see if Sony has an answer.
dedgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:02 AM   #17
gonzule
before sleep, read or TV?
gonzule began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Hi, has enyone had news about this? i have tried everything on my reader to get the dictionary working but it is still the same.

So far, the best results i've had are when after restoring my reader to factory setting, i can access the english dictionary without problems, but when i switch it to something else as spanish>english, the reader gets stuck again and i have to reboot it.
gonzule is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #18
entodoays
Zealot
entodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1
I had a similar problem and I found a solution (quite a radical one). Here's a step by step procedure of what I did.
entodoays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:53 PM   #19
Dai Shan
Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Dai Shan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: PRS-T1, K4NT, Boyue T62
Nice tutorial. So it wasn't the repartioning, but the reformating that fix the problem. Good to know.

Sofar I had no hangsup since then.
Dai Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:48 PM   #20
dedgod
Enthusiast
dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kindle PW2
I tried entodoays solution, but mine wouldn't backup the dictionary partition, so backed up a known good dictionary partition and restored it to the faulty reader. This seems to have fixed it. Thanks to entodoays and all who have suffered with this and worked for a solution.
dedgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #21
gonzule
before sleep, read or TV?
gonzule began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
weill, i guess i will give it a try, i just need to find another person with the same reader, the problem is that it is not sold in my country, so that will be a little difficult. Could you email me the partitions you used to restore your reader? What firmware are they for?
gonzule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #22
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
If you want to just replace the dictionary partition, which one is it? Do you have to replace the partition table to just replace a single partition from backup?
--MH
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #23
Bartleby
Bartleby began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I have this problem as well. The only solution I've found is to do a factory reset. Then it will work again for a couple of months or so, before the dictionary starts to get slow and erratic, and then starts to freeze the device every time. I don't know if the reformatting/repartioning solution will prove more enduring?

After the factory reset I must copy the books to the device "fresh" from Calibre, however. When I tried to copy books with annotations from the horrible Sony Reader software, the dictionary continued to freeze.
Bartleby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #24
entodoays
Zealot
entodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enough

The images of the partitions I have are for a european PRS-T1 with the 1.0.05.11130 firmware.

I think I can post the images of the smaller partitions here for anybody to use. Due to restrictions on file sizes I cannot post the dictionaries and preload partitions.

PRST1_partitions1.zip contains the Diag and Recovery partition images.

I'm skipping the system, data and Reader partitions. System and data are available in the restore sets. Reader contains only user data.
Attached Files
File Type: zip PRST1 partitions1.zip (8.18 MB, 1020 views)
File Type: zip PRST1_fonts partition.zip (12.34 MB, 992 views)
File Type: zip PRST1_SETTING partition.zip (897.3 KB, 1070 views)

Last edited by entodoays; 03-24-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:27 PM   #25
entodoays
Zealot

@dynabook
What's wrong with your dictionaries partition?

If your problem lies with the dictionaries partition, you may simply replace it without going through the reformatting process. Please make sure you have a full backup just in case something goes wrong.

On Ubuntu it is /dev/sdx6 where x could be b, c, d, etc depending on how many other drives you have connected on your computer.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #26
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@entodoays
I use my highlighting feature extensively to mark words in my ePubs for correction later. I have been having the hanging problem described here. It always seems to be the dictionary lookup that hangs up. I have even had gibberish show up in the definition area.

I am hoping that a replacement of the dictionary partition will solve this issue.
--MH
Old 03-26-2013, 04:01 AM   #27
entodoays
Zealot

In my case, the problem with the dictionary was related to waking from sleep. Try turning off completely and on again. Then test your Reader with dictionary lookups, highlighting, etc WITHOUT letting the reader go on standby. If everything works, then the problem is probably not with the dictionary partition.

Last edited by entodoays; 03-26-2013 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Spelling correction.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #28
dynabook
Techno-geek

I will have to try that and let you know.
--MH
Old 03-26-2013, 04:08 PM   #29
dynabook
Techno-geek

So I powered my reader down completely and restarted it. Problem seems to be gone, at least for now. Thanks @entodoays.

I will see if the problem recurs from standby. if so sounds like a reader firmware bug.
--MH
Old 03-29-2013, 05:45 PM   #30
entodoays
Zealot

I had a similar problem which I managed to solve. See this thread and especially post #72 where I posted what worked for me.