Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #1
mallums
Enthusiast
mallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheese

Device: KT4
I'm not smart enough to remove jailbreak 3.4

Hi all. I have a Kindle 3G US that I absolutely must permanently remove the jailbreak from. To cut the story short, I used Kubrick, and now I have a jailbroken K3G with fw 3.4.

I am not able to find a definitive guide to uninstalling the jailbreak, nor can I find which manual _uninstall.bin to use, if any.

Not removing it is NOT an option.

Thanks, guys.
mallums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
First off, care to explain why you absolutely must remove the jailbreak and not removing it is NOT an option? Please? It's only one innocent little text file, why do you loathe it so much?

That said: the plain, standard, normal uninstaller that you can get here should work.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
mallums
Enthusiast
mallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheese

Thank you very much for your quick attention. The short answer to your query is: politics. I wish to pass this device on to someone who will not accept it if it is any way not "legit". Also, I made a promise that I wish to keep. Myself, I would not be so concerned; indeed, my K4, K5T, and PW are all jailbroken.

Thank you for an answer on this new thread. I thought that I might be asking a question which has been answered too many times already. However, the answers that I found only applied to previous FWs and jailbreak methods.

You guys are great!
Old 09-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
mallums
Enthusiast

I should note that I ran Reset to Factory Defaults after rebooting from Kubrick.

I tried updating with update_jailbreak_0.11.N_k3gb_uninstall.bin. The logs contained a message to the effect of "update failed, signature invalid".

Does that mean the jailbreak that was present after Kubrick was screwed up by the reset to factory? Or did I fail to understand what I was supposed to do?

Do I need to do anything now?

/ a fair bit of Linux experience but very little of neither forum experience or device-hacking experience
Old 09-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Are you sure you used the correct uninstaller? The K3 .bins are different for different serial numbers. I *think* you should be using the k3g one, not the k3gb, but I may be wrong. Only you can tell.

Code:
ixtab@mbp:/tmp/un$ grep k3gb *
README.txt:(As always, k2 means K2 US, k2i means K2 GW, dx means KDX US, dxi means KDX GW, dxg means KDX Graphite, k3g means K3 3G (US [B006]), k3w means K3 WiFi [B008], k3gb means K3 3G (UK [B00A]) and k4 means K4 [B00E]. The ones suffixed by -3.0-to-3.2 are meant for devices running old FW <= 3.2 *only*!).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
mallums
Enthusiast

You are correct. Trying again with the correct one got the same message, "signature verification failed". Should I worry about this, or should I consider it sufficient? Since I can't run this update, I can't run any, and thus, it isn't jailbroken?

It would be nice, but not essential, to remove all files and data not from "official" source, meaning Amazon.

Again, thanks for all you are doing for me and everyone.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
yeah. what you said.

Hey, it's one file. itty bitty file. miniscule.
And the OP? who doesn't want it to be "illegitimate", assuming that no custom updates would ever be run.... it wouldn't matter either way.

There seems to be a confusion between "Jailbreaking" and "rooting", frankly this is more "rooting" than anything else. Harmless allowance of custom - in the main: open-source - softwares to be installed.

Just don't use it?

But as you said, seems like you can't anyways. So... as they used to say in Atlantic City

"Forget about it"
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallums View Post
It would be nice, but not essential, to remove all files and data not from "official" source, meaning Amazon.
Which you can no longer do, since the un-installers are all signed packages also.
They have to have the certificate in-place to run.

I.E: Removing the certificate is the **very last** thing to remove.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The factory reset broke the jb. You'll need to reinstall it to be able to uninstall it.

(The FW 3.x jb is a tiny bit more complex than what we use on 4/5.x, and there is indeed a bit of leftover stuff, besides the pubkey).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-12-2013 at 06:49 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #10
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
The factory reset broke the jb. You'll need to reinstall it to be able to uninstall it.

(The FW 3.x jb is a tiny bit more complex than what we use on 4/5.x, and there is indeed a bit of leftover stuff, besides the pubkey).
Thinking on.... I knew that.
Either way. It's no longer "jailbroken."
Old 09-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #11
mallums
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post

Thanks. This is what I figured.

I will remember, if there is a next time, to do the factory reset first, before the jailbreak/Kubrick, or last, after removing the jailbreak, not during. And I won't fret too much about the jailbreak anyway.

And thanks for all your advice. Everyone here are really nice guys.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:33 PM   #12
mallums
Enthusiast

Okay. I installed the jailbreak from 0.11.N, which went smoothly, then uninstalled it, which worked perfectly. I assume I'm done with it now? No more to worry about? Good. Now I can leave you alone.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:40 PM   #13
twobob

Tis done.

You may cross borders with impunity.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:21 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Tis done.

You may cross borders with impunity.
Just don't travel West.
The Chinese have sold New Mexico to Amazon.
(New Mexico isn't a good location for new Rice patties, but a great source of finely ground silicon.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #15
mallums
Enthusiast

Smile

On a tangential note: It may interest some of you that when I prepared to perform a "cleaning" of a K4, when I deregistered the device, a notice appeared on the home screen saying that my Kindle was no longer a test Kindle.

Test Kindle Installation Result.azw

Also, It may be worth noting that Amazon has released version 5.3.8 for the PW yesterday, in case you didn't know.