Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: Reading choices?
Horror makes me feel better -- at least I'm not being eaten by aliens. 10 10.87%
Romance lets me escape to a prettier place. 9 9.78%
Fantasy lets me escape to a magic place. And then I shoot arrows at orcs. 30 32.61%
Science Fiction, so I can blast off to a new world. 28 30.43%
Historical Fiction, bring on the greasy food and the court intrigue! 14 15.22%
I'm too much in a funk to read. 4 4.35%
Other, or Once Again Your Poll Does Not Reflect My Choices And I'm About To Take It Personally, I Mean How Hard Is This? 44 47.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
What are you reading to combat S.A.D.?

For those of you with Seasonal Affective Disorder and for those of you currently heading into a dark, dank, damp, depressing winter, what are you reading to beat the blues?
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I'm reading a lot right now, not focused on one genre.
You did leave out mystery as a category.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 06:16 PM   #3
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
My SAD doesn't really kick in until mid-January but it could go one of two ways

1. Only read that which is set in tropical climates so I can at least be warm in my brain
or
2. Pull down The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls - just to remind me that at least I don't have to twist hay
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #4
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
These polls need to allow picking more than one option... or one of the options needs to be "all of the above"
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:35 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
I'm reading a lot right now, not focused on one genre.
You did leave out mystery as a category.
And thriller is also left out.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
It let me pick more than one
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:36 PM   #7
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
These polls need to allow picking more than one option... or one of the options needs to be "all of the above"
Or a choice of, whatever suits my fancy at the moment!

DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:41 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I didn't know there was such a thing as Seasonal Affective Disorder. I thought it was depression due to the holidays.

I don't have S.A.D. But I am reading a really engrossing story that might help to take someone mind off of the season. I am reading Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay.

Quote:
Paris, July 1942: Sarah, a ten year-old girl, is brutally arrested with her family by the French police in the Vel' d'Hiv' roundup, but not before she locks her younger brother in a cupboard in the family's apartment, thinking that she will be back within a few hours.

Paris, May 2002: On Vel' d'Hiv's 60th anniversary, journalist Julia Jarmond is asked to write an article about this black day in France's past. Through her contemporary investigation, she stumbles onto a trail of long-hidden family secrets that connect her to Sarah. Julia finds herself compelled to retrace the girl's ordeal, from that terrible term in the Vel d'Hiv', to the camps, and beyond. As she probes into Sarah's past, she begins to question her own place in France, and to reevaluate her marriage and her life.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:45 PM   #9
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I read the label on my Vitamin D bottle before I pop a couple.

Really, it helps - you should try it!
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:51 PM   #10
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
The Alphabet of Manliness followed by I Am Better Than Your Kids. Laughing keeps the SAD away.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #11
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I tend to gravitate toward older pulp science fiction and "space opera", though SAD doesn't impact me to any real degree now that I live in the tropics*. It did do a number on me years back when I linved in Dallas,TX and was worse during the short time I lived outside of Philadelphia.

In Big D I had rather bright full spectrum lighting in the den, kitchen, bedroom, and my computer room which I would always use until late evening to stretch the feeling of daylight.

* OK, Key West is not technically in the tropics as they start a degree or so south of here, but with a 12 month growing season (there are blooming flowers all year), decent day length (~10.5 hours today), and temp warm enough to walk outside in light shorts and a T-shirt (today's high was 81F/27C and its currently 74F/23C some 2 hrs after sunset as I get ready to go for an alfter dinner walk with the wife) I get plenty of real sunlight.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #12
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I do not suffer from S.A.D. but the holidays can be emotionally difficult at times. A good Fantasy/Supernatural novel will always be my top pick.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:36 PM   #13
SistahGolden
SistahGolden can self-interpret dreams as they happen.SistahGolden can self-interpret dreams as they happen.SistahGolden can self-interpret dreams as they happen.SistahGolden can self-interpret dreams as they happen.SistahGolden can self-interpret dreams as they happen.SistahGolden can self-interpret dreams as they happen.SistahGolden can self-interpret dreams as they happen.SistahGolden can self-interpret dreams as they happen.SistahGolden can self-interpret dreams as they happen.SistahGolden can self-interpret dreams as they happen.SistahGolden can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: K3, KFire, nookST
Romance, primarily. Must have guaranteed happy ending to combat my SAD.

So far *knock wood* so good this year. Hasn't hit me yet and usually I'm starting to turn sluggish by now.
SistahGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:47 PM   #14
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i've gotten heavily into space opera lately. i used to read tons of horror but it just gets....draining and unhealthy after awhile. i'm much more excited and enthused by ship to ship combat in space than more friggin zombies and extreme gore especially this time of year.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:50 PM   #15
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Can't believe I forgot Mystery and Thriller!

Well, actually, I can because I rarely read either. Ya'll are lucky I remembered to put Romance, actually.

Well, that's what the last option is for.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote