Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-16-2011, 01:35 PM   #16
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4003 View Post
John, I received my Coby today, having fun playing around with it. But of course I have some questions. I downloaded Nook for Android, then I went to B&N and subscribed to a magazine. But when I try to download it, it says "not compatible with this device" which I guess means my computer. I can't figure out how to get it to the Coby. I thought maybe I need to shop and purchase from the Coby, but when I go into the Nook app, I can't find any magazines to purchase.

I'm having a terrible time with the touch screen. Keep hitting the wrong things, having trouble getting it to scroll at all, or when it does scroll, it flies by so fast I can't see what's there and if I try to stop it then it opens up whatever I'm touching. This is why I love my Kindle with it's buttons!

I appreciate any insight you can give me about the magazine thing. Thanks!
Hi Patricia-
I just downloaded the magazine and then transfered it to my Coby via USB . I then opened Aldiko and steered it to the Magazine file, tapped it and selected "import". I opened it up and read it. I didn't have any problem downloading. Let me think about it a bit.

The trick of the touch screen is to use your finger nail and tap. To scroll, place the back of your finger nail firmly on the screen and drag slowly.

Hope this helps - John

Last edited by Jabby; 06-16-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #17
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
John, start at the beginning, how did you download the magazine? If I try to download it on my computer it tells me it's not compatible for this device. I went on my Coby to BN site and finally found it in My Account but it tells me the same thing. So if I can't get it to download to my computer, I have no way of moving it, see what I mean? How did you get it to download to your computer?

I was able to download the Kindle app for Android, and all my books are there. I looked over the selection of magazines there too, but don't see anything I want. As usual, Amazon makes everything so easy!
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #18
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
John, start at the beginning, how did you download the magazine? If I try to download it on my computer it tells me it's not compatible for this device. I went on my Coby to BN site and finally found it in My Account but it tells me the same thing. So if I can't get it to download to my computer, I have no way of moving it, see what I mean? How did you get it to download to your computer?

I was able to download the Kindle app for Android, and all my books are there. I looked over the selection of magazines there too, but don't see anything I want. As usual, Amazon makes everything so easy!
Hi again,

Hmmm. I took a subscription to one of the magazines you said you wanted (Redbook) and am having the same problem you are having. I bought two magazines the other day, one subscription and one single issue buy. I downloaded both and I still have the single issue on my Aldiko bookshelf. I canceled the other so I deleted it from my system and no longer have it.

I cranked up my Nook for PC and the Redbook showed up in my library but it gave me an error message when I tried to "read it now". There is a notice that says that mags are only readable on the Color Nook or the Nook for android. From my nook for PC I was able to archive the mag and it showed up in the archive. I went to my Coby Nook and it did not show up in my archive. I had a good wifi connection because I was able to shop for books.

I just went to the B&N web site and looked at the mags I bought (Alfred Hitchcock & Ellery Queen Mystery Mags) and they stated that they were readable on:
* NOOK
* NOOK Color
* NOOK for iPad
* NOOK Study
* NOOK for PC
* NOOK for Android (Tablet)
Whereas Redbook only shows:
* NOOK Color
* NOOK for Android (Tablet)
(Different publishers)

I'm going over to the Nook forum and see if anybody over there has any ideas.

I hope I haven't led you astray - John
Old 06-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #19
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Don't worry about leading me astray, John, I still really like the little device, magazines or not. I have put a few children's books on it and they look really good,so I achieved one of my goals.

Wonder if there's some difference in the Redbook and Good Housekeeping magazines? Must be a reason that Kindle doesn't offer them at all. Usually Kindle will offer everything that B&N offers. And who knows, perhaps one day soon Kindle will offer them, and I'll definitely be ready.

I do appreciate all your work on this, you've sure gone above and beyond for me! Just keep me posted if you find out anything else.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #20
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member

Quote:
Just keep me posted if you find out anything else.
Magazine update,
A lady from the Nook forum was able to download "Redbook" on her rooted Nook Color using the Nook app we have. Another said that it worked on high resolution devices only. This does make sense but if so, I don't know how to get around it.

However, all is not lost. Another forum member posted that he had purchased a Asus Tranformer and that he had downloaded "Popular Mechanics" using "Zinio" that came pre-loaded.

The Zinio app runs only on Honeycomb now. But here is a quote from their FAQ:
Q: When will the app be available on Android 2.2 devices?
A: Soon! We thank you for your patience while we put the finishing touches on our Android 2.2 app. We hope to have it available by sometime in July of this year.

Here are a couple of links for you to peruse.
http://www.zinio.com/
http://www.zinio.com/search/index.js...&button=Search
This has some promise and I would love to have a good magazine reader. So I'll be keeping track of this and will let you how it turns out.

Regards - John
Advert
Old 06-18-2011, 05:26 PM   #21
PG4003
Addict

That does sound promising, John. Once again thanks for all your research. I did a "Like" on their Facebook page so maybe I'll see something posted when it's available for Android.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #22
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
John, I received my Coby today, having fun playing around with it. But of course I have some questions. I downloaded Nook for Android, then I went to B&N and subscribed to a magazine. But when I try to download it, it says "not compatible with this device" which I guess means my computer. I can't figure out how to get it to the Coby. I thought maybe I need to shop and purchase from the Coby, but when I go into the Nook app, I can't find any magazines to purchase.

I'm having a terrible time with the touch screen. Keep hitting the wrong things, having trouble getting it to scroll at all, or when it does scroll, it flies by so fast I can't see what's there and if I try to stop it then it opens up whatever I'm touching. This is why I love my Kindle with it's buttons!

I appreciate any insight you can give me about the magazine thing. Thanks!
Just reading your thread, and I don't know if this is too late - but I wanted to recommend the Nook Color. With very little effort, it can be turned into a "pure android tablet" similar to the Coby, but with the higher resolution screen that the Nook for Android seems to require for magazines. It seems it would be a bit more $, but I think it would fit your uses better.

If you would like more information, let me know.

Jason
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #23
PG4003
Addict

Thanks Jason, but I already bought the Coby, and I'm pretty happy with it. I was very tempted by the Nook Color, but really didn't want to spend that much money at this time. Besides, I'm pretty Amazon loyal, and I'm waiting for them to come out with a color tablet any time now.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:33 PM   #24
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Thanks Jason, but I already bought the Coby, and I'm pretty happy with it. I was very tempted by the Nook Color, but really didn't want to spend that much money at this time. Besides, I'm pretty Amazon loyal, and I'm waiting for them to come out with a color tablet any time now.
I'm with you. I bought the Nook Color, did all the work to turn it into a "true" Android tablet, and it's going back to the store today. I love the screen and the feel, but it was way too much work to keep current, it had performance problems, and it never felt easy to use. I had issues with the launcher, the app drawer, the widgets. Even web browsing was terrible. I'm going to wait for the Amazon offering, assuming that they have a 7" model. If they don't make a 7" model, I'll save a bit more and get whatever 7" IPS are available out in the market.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:08 PM   #25
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrodad View Post
I'm with you. I bought the Nook Color, did all the work to turn it into a "true" Android tablet, and it's going back to the store today. I love the screen and the feel, but it was way too much work to keep current, it had performance problems, and it never felt easy to use. I had issues with the launcher, the app drawer, the widgets. Even web browsing was terrible. I'm going to wait for the Amazon offering, assuming that they have a 7" model. If they don't make a 7" model, I'll save a bit more and get whatever 7" IPS are available out in the market.
You could have replaced the stock ROM with a custom (stable) Gingerbread one internally. There would have been no underlying trace of B&N's implementation. No different than purchasing an Android device off the shelf. There's nothing to maintain or updates to stay abreast of.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:40 PM   #26
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was using CM7, which is not stable and updated nightly. It's the only ROM I even considered.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #27
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I was using CM7, which is not stable and updated nightly. It's the only ROM I even considered.
I'm not sure what you mean. There are stable releases available. Are you saying you were using nightly builds? That's different from stable releases. Or are you saying you used a stable version (identified as such) and you found that not to be the case?
Old 06-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #28
astrodad
Guru

There is no stable release of CM 7 Encore.

At least, that's what their FAQ said.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:51 PM   #29
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
There is no stable release of CM 7 Encore.

At least, that's what their FAQ said.
That's not accurate:

http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?type=stable

Also if you look in the top left of the screen you'll see a link to the nightly builds. It's under "By Type".

I'm using a stable release. Never experimented with the nightly stuff.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:58 PM   #30
astrodad
Guru

I don't know where I read it, then. I guess everything after 7.0.3 is not? Your comment made me think that I should look at other ROMs, too. I may try Phiremod before returning this to the store. But the idea of an Amazon tablet is very tempting. What to do, what to do...

Tags
coby