Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Discussion: Hal Spacejock 01 (spoilers)

Mobile Read Book Club April Discussion.

Hey space cadets. Strap on your ship and blast off into the thread. Wait, don't probe me navcom!

Did you love this book? Hate it? Did you laugh out loud?

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 04-20-2011 at 09:39 AM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
I liked the book. it was entertaining and had some comical parts to it but they were almost predictable or a little over the top. i found myself rolling my eyes or saying oh geez to myself. that though didn't take away from the reading experience and as i read i could picture a cgi animated movie of hal and clunk's follies. i did like the character development of hal and how he tried to make himself macho and be nonchalant with everything. though he showed, or tried to show, his exterior toughness he had feelings for clunk and always worried about him but never acted on them and i found myself reading and waiting for hal to accept clunk as his friend and let all the emotions pour out. overall it was a fun read and will be reading the others in the series soon (i bought the bundle) . that's all i have right now !!

Last edited by siraks; 04-20-2011 at 09:59 AM.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm just about to start it. I finally got around to converting the LRF made from the HTML to ePub to read. I'm a bit late. But then, going on a cruise for 5 nights didn't help any.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I enjoyed the book. I thought it was funny. As you say there were alot of "groan worthy" things. However, there was some that was very funny. I think my favorite was the yellow inflatable dingy that pop's out after the crash.... and Hal says "What am I supposed to do with that?" (or something). I almost bust a gut laughing at that, I don't know why.

I only bought the first one but I might get the rest later. Lot's of other to-read stuff on my list first.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I got tickled when Clunk got spaced, then realizes he is drifting toward the space station and relaxes, then he sees into people's windows in tall buildings as he gets close to the ground ... Then panics when he realizes that he is gonna miss the station by thiiiiis much.

To me, some of the funniest bits are when Haynes piles cliche upon cliche and things all begin to happen to the characters all in one whirlwind.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 01:35 PM   #6
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
I really enjoyed reading the book and found it very entertaining. The humor used in it reminded me a bit of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy".
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:28 PM   #7
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I really enjoyed this book. To me it was like Abbott & Costello in space. Ridiculous, over-the-top slapstick that had me chortling at various points in the story.

Humour is not usually my genre of choice, but it's nice to have a sci-fi equivalent of a Three Stooges banana peel skit played out for your amusement.

I'm happy enough with this book (I already own the series) that I'm going to repurchase all the paperbacks and give them as gifts to my dad. I think he'll like the absurdity of the scenarios.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:49 PM   #8
arkietech
Connoisseur
arkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toys

Device: pc
I can't remember when I have enjoyed a book so much! I howled so hard my stomach hurt along with the tears of laughter. Anything can be programmed or hacked to do what you want! Simon Haynes did a great job of it with this book. As soon as I secure some credits I am going for the next book!
arkietech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:59 AM   #9
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
To me it was like Abbott & Costello in space. Ridiculous, over-the-top slapstick
This

Old 04-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #10
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I also enjoyed the book, and have already read the 2nd one. I was waiting until after this disscussion thread to read books 3 & 4.
Like stated by others, I found a lot of the humour to be very groan worthy, but I stll found it to be a really fun read. I tolorate Hal, but, Clunk & Navcom are my favorite characters.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:05 PM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The data transfers between Clunk and Navcom are a riot.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:29 PM   #12
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Darn... I've been skipping the Book Club books the past couple of months, as there's enough going on in my life right now without adding more books. But, this one does sound too good to pass up and I just happen to have a free copy that I downloaded when it was first offered. Guess I'll have to get hopping and catch up.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:23 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I really enjoyed this book. To me it was like Abbott & Costello in space. Ridiculous, over-the-top slapstick that had me chortling at various points in the story.

Humour is not usually my genre of choice, but it's nice to have a sci-fi equivalent of a Three Stooges banana peel skit played out for your amusement.

I'm happy enough with this book (I already own the series) that I'm going to repurchase all the paperbacks and give them as gifts to my dad. I think he'll like the absurdity of the scenarios.

Regards
Caleb
The Discworld series has some really good LOL moments. Not all of the books in the series are a hit. But if you read them in published order, you'll get the most out of them and when you read the ones that give you the LOLs, you'll be able to ignore the ones that were not that good. So far, I've only read one that was ho-hum in the first 18 books.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:25 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'm not yet finished. But so far, it seems to be like a combination of HHGTTG and Futurama.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:20 AM   #15
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Not really my cup of tea but an easy read with some "chuckle-worthy" moments.
I liked the somewhat cheeky navcom a lot.
The book didn't manage to grab my attention enough to make me really remember much from it (read it a couple of weeks ago, and not very carefully at that).
Won't be getting more in the series, but don't regret getting (and reading) this one.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote