Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-04-2007, 07:56 AM   #1
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Maybe there is some truth in this Free Energy claim?

Hi folks,

I have been following the discussion surrounding the "Orbo", a technology that claims to offer "Free and Clean" Energy using nothing but permanent magnets.
I'm not somebody who falls for this kind of scheme easily, but this one seems to have a lot of professionality going on...so I spend some time on their forum (www.steorn.com/forum) and follow what is going on there.

Well, apparently there will be a Demo of the technology in London, starting from today (6PM) and running for 10 Days at the "Kinetica Museum".
There will also be a webfeed with "four different camera angles".

Maybe some of our british mobilereaders could pass by the museum and tell us what they see there?

Thanks.

If this technology is really real (), then it might solve more than just the meagre battery-life of the Iliad...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:41 AM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I've heard about another free energy scheme recently that had a lot of reasons to be convincing (or who knows, maybe it's the same one). But I'm one of those that considers these to all be bogus until proven to legitimate expert investigators from the field.

Still, it's nice to dream, I suppose it's possible even if not likely. And even the ones that don't work might provide some interesting science.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2007, 08:54 AM   #3
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Hmmm! This claim's been heralded before! Always to be called 'Fraud'!!?!!

They want licensing contracts, this is an alarm bell.
I wonder how big the contraption would have to be to produce 1KW/H ?

If you want free energy, just look out the door. When you have to shade your eyes you found it!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:53 AM   #4
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

@yvanleterrible

To prevent that kind of accusation, they have called in that jury thing to validate their tech and will NOT accept any licensing until the jury is through.
At the moment they are apparently (and a lot of research has been done on that by various forum members with access to the right documents) not taking any money from anywhere. They had some "sponsoring" before the whole thing kicked off, but since August (I think) they have been refusing everything to increase their credibility.

It seems they are trying their best to keep the usual "fraud" practises away from their name, but of course only the real product will convince anyone including me...
Old 07-04-2007, 12:49 PM   #5
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Interesting find. I am quite interested in how this turns out.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2007, 01:28 PM   #6
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

Indeed.
If the information on their website is correct, we should get a live image from 4 camera angles at midnight (German Time).
Old 07-04-2007, 09:39 PM   #7
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Make Magazine, volume 9, has a good article on perpetual motion machines, along with other kinds of inventions usually regarded as "fringe" by the scientific community. I'm highly skeptical that these folks have found a way to get something for nothing, or that our knowledge of the physics of magnetism is as incomplete as these folks claim. But I suppose, as with Ephraim Fischbach's "fifth force" and various cold fusion claims that pop up every few years, we'll just have to let the scientific process run its course.

As Yvan says, we've got a good source of free power already, in the form of a huge fusion generator only 93 million miles away, beaming energy constantly at the entire Earth. Investing a bit more time and money in developing ways to make solar power more efficient and inexpensive would probably be a better choice.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:57 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I say thee nay. Believe me if someone had repealed the laws of thermodynamics, I'd have heard about it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:40 AM   #9
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
It is possible that the machine works, but then it is not working the way as claimed. It is entirely possible they found a new way of converting some energy.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:12 AM   #10
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
well, i have to say, scientists can be quite unbelieving
I can totally understand, that people are rightfully sceptical about this. But i know, that there are things between heaven and earth, we simply do not understand.
I think there might be a chance, that they discovered another fluke of nature. If it works then it will probably something more like Robert mentioned, since we still believe all the laws af physics apply. But if its not that, then we have a situation like in the middleages where the witches might be burned. (And, yes, i know that the earth is flat and the center of the universe )
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:15 AM   #11
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
There are even explanations how it could circumvent the laws of thermodynamics. They could tap a parallel universe. That energy would be outside the scope of the laws of thermodynamics. Guess how probable that is.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:29 AM   #12
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My goodness! We read way too much fiction!

Energy problems have simple solutions made complicated by money games. The human being has to be controlled in a way to make the game pleasant for those overbored have-it-alls.

Serious scientists have always transfered knowlege without all the flack of showboating. Only business people play science this way. Beware of promises only one is true.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:32 AM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Marquard View Post
There are even explanations how it could circumvent the laws of thermodynamics. They could tap a parallel universe. That energy would be outside the scope of the laws of thermodynamics. Guess how probable that is.
Of course, probability is only an estimate of what is likely to happen, not what will happen.

See? I did learn something in my Sadistics courses! Two things actually, the other is that the only thing you really know for sure is that you're wrong, because at some level, you have to make an assumption and the only thing you can really know for sure about your assumption is that it's not entirely right. If you knew how wrong your assumption was you could adjust it and be right, but you can't, so you're doomed to be wrong, know you're wrong and still have to not just live with it, but also operate based on it.

Obviously, I didn't enjoy my Sadistics courses, but my grades did improve greatly after I stopped trying to understand the stuff and moved to just blindly applying the formulas.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:21 AM   #14
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

well, it appears the laws of Thermodynamics are safe for a little longer since there are some "Technical" issues preventing the whole demo thing getting started. They are working on it, but I wonder...maybe this will be the end of the story for this venture, because if they don't get it working then all the bad media they are getting right now will take any chance at credibility they might still have had away...

oh btw...I got through my exam today...I'm now officially entitled to study in the "Masterclass"...^^
Totally unrelated, but I just wanted to get rid of that message...
Old 07-05-2007, 10:58 AM   #15
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Nice going! Keep up the good work Roland!