Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 07-27-2007, 09:08 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The complete MobileRead edition of the Harvard Classics is now available!

One of the most extraordinary collections of timeless literature is now available to the MobileRead community at no charge. The Harvard Classics collection was assembled originally in 1909 by Charles Eliot, president of Harvard University. According to Wikipedia, Dr. Eliot "had stated in speeches that the elements of a liberal education could be obtained by spending fifteen minutes a day reading from a collection of books that could fit on a five-foot shelf. (Originally he had said a three-foot shelf). The publisher P. F. Collier and Son saw an opportunity, and challenged him to make good on this statement by selecting an appropriate collection of works; the Harvard Classics was the result."

The MobileRead edition was completed in an amazing and monumental three-month effort by RWood, who painstakingly hand produced a very nice electronic version of the set for Sony Reader and MobiPocket (with the MobiPocket version to be complete within the next week). You will immediately see and appreciate the work that he has put into producing these volumes, in that they are quite pleasing for reading. Multiple versions of the source texts were used to produce these two (non-DRM'd) formats. The two formats cover a large range of e-book reading devices, including smartphones, and allow this collection to be accessible to large numbers of readers.

If you think this is all just an academic set of boring books, think again. The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin is considered by many to be the best ever written, and it seems to have a profound influence on just about everyone that reads it. While some books might not be for everyone, it's amazing to see how relevant they are, and to get such a nice glimpse into these critical people and times of history. They may just turn out to be more fun to read and skim than you would ever imagine. Wikipedia also points out that the set has become popular for home schooling, even today.

A paper version is available in various used book sources, and from Eaton Press in a subscription program for a whopping $3200! Incidentally, Eaton Press summarizes the content as "bring[ing] together more than 1,850 works by over 300 masters of thought and letters".

RWood describes the making of this e-book set in a bit more detail, and I'm sure he would appreciate comments and a "thank you" from everyone that has an interest in the set, and your thoughts as you read the volumes.

This unique e-book set is currently available at no charge as separate volumes at MobileRead's e-book upload section, and should be a welcome addition to any reader's electronic library. You can also do a MobileRead site search for "harvard classics volume" to find the threads with the volume downloads. Enjoy!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:13 AM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
... at MobileRead's e-book upload section, and should be a welcome addition to any reader's electronic library. You can also do a MobileRead site search for "harvard classics volume" to find the threads with the volume downloads. Enjoy!
Thanks for the hard work! And also for the search tip - it has never occured to me that we could actually do book searches!
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:32 AM   #3
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wonder if it would be possible to extract these to html and convert to Plucker. For my purposes, Plucker is better than Mobipocket due to better (last time I checked) search capabilities.
pruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:59 AM   #4
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
i've been collecting the sony versions as they came out. great stuff.

my ex now has my hard copy set so this is great.
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:08 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just want to say a big THANK YOU to RWood for his work on the Harvard Classics. Now its time to go make sure my set is up to date.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:12 AM   #6
paulkbiba
Connoisseur
paulkbiba began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e61i, iPhone
Given the importance of this project, I've taken the liberty of copying your front page post and putting it on Palm Addict. I've kept all the links intact.

This is a major milestone in ebook history!
paulkbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:17 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bob, that is one really nice announcement.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:42 AM   #8
Phebe
Connoisseur
Phebe doesn't litterPhebe doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 500 and Kindle 2 and iPad and iPhone
This is so wonderful. I've been admiring these five-foot-shelves for decades; now I can have my own.
Phebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:57 AM   #9
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
A link from Project Gutenberg is definitely overdue :-)

done.

Last edited by Robert Marquard; 07-27-2007 at 11:05 AM.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:57 AM   #10
bopeep36
bopeep36 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Thanks for all the hard work! Has anyone assembled a zip with all the volumes included?
bopeep36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:01 AM   #11
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by bopeep36 View Post
Thanks for all the hard work! Has anyone assembled a zip with all the volumes included?
By visiting each download link, you can also leave your personal comments, which is, I think a nice way of giving something back to the makers of these excellent e-books!
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:11 AM   #12
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
A tremendous achievement, much appreciated. I will think of this edition now every time I lug around the p-book set at the bookstore where I work.....
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:42 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Marquard View Post
A link from Project Gutenberg is definitely overdue :-)

done.
Very nice!
Old 07-27-2007, 11:43 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I definitely have to also get the MobiPocket version in case someday in the future I get a MobiPocket capable device.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:33 PM   #15
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Like a Cybook?
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote