Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-15-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Instapaper now produces epub files

Instapaper http://blog.instapaper.com/tagged/press is a terrific web/iphone app which converts web pages into text files, stripping out the eyegarbage and rendering a nice, easy to read text experience, particularly on the iphone but on your web browser as well. Kind of a Readability + Read It Later application.

Well, just minutes ago, on Twitter, Marco announced that Instapaper will now generate an epub file you can download & move to your Sony.

Here's how it all works:

You surf around the net, finding articles you want to read. You click on a browser bar button you've installed (easy - drag from Instapaper web site to the browser bar) and the articles are uploaded to the Instapaper web site, where you have an account (also easy to establish.) The articles are stored there, so you can read them as you wish on your computer or iphone.

But now, you can go to the web site and download the last 20 articles you uploaded as an epub file using a single click. The file can be opened by Sony Library or calibre and moved to your Sony Reader, and you can read them on that as well!

And what's more, each separate article shows up in the table of contents for the Instapaper "book" on the Reader.

To top it off, Instapaper is free for your web browser (5 Bucks (cheap) for the iPhone app.) Marco doesn't even have a tip jar, more's the pity, because this is a great setup & well worth a donation.

So basically, you can put together your own private magazine from your web browser, and have in on your Sony to carry around & read.

[BTW it also produces mobi files for the poor benighted Kindle user. And, of course, both files will work with Stanza on the iPhone or your computer.]

Last edited by Harmon; 11-15-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Great news! I love Instapaper.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 12:14 AM   #3
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Great news! I love Instapaper.
Me, too. Unfortunately, I'm having problems converting all my saved files to epub. Marco's converter seems to not like a lot of files I have - among them, oddly, the NYT.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:24 PM   #4
thename
Zealot
thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-700, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
Me, too. Unfortunately, I'm having problems converting all my saved files to epub. Marco's converter seems to not like a lot of files I have - among them, oddly, the NYT.
I noticed this issue as well. It seems to be a problem with the various characters in the NYT's URLs. The Calibre command lines similarly balk without a lot of tweaking. The Calibre recipe for Instapaper, however, still works a (relative) charm.
thename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Quote:

And what's more, each separate article shows up in the table of contents for the Instapaper "book" on the Reader.
Am I doing something wrong? Mine just come over all stacked together. I can't find a way to save the articles as individual files, and no table of contents shows up when I send it to my device....
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2010, 12:40 AM   #6
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegl027 View Post
Am I doing something wrong? Mine just come over all stacked together. I can't find a way to save the articles as individual files, and no table of contents shows up when I send it to my device....
What I meant is that there is a table of contents in the "staked together" file.

If you want to have separate files, you should first create a separate "holding" folder for all your Read It Later articles & move them all into the holding folder. Then move the articles back to the RIL folder and save them as epub files one at a time onto your computer, deleting or archiving each article before doing the next one.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:50 AM   #7
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
What I meant is that there is a table of contents in the "staked together" file.

If you want to have separate files, you should first create a separate "holding" folder for all your Read It Later articles & move them all into the holding folder. Then move the articles back to the RIL folder and save them as epub files one at a time onto your computer, deleting or archiving each article before doing the next one.

Thanks, I finally figured out that the problem was that I was "adding a book" with the downloaded ePub file, rather than using the "fetch news" function. Now it works fine
Old 02-12-2010, 11:50 PM   #8
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

Quote:
Thanks, I finally figured out that the problem was that I was "adding a book" with the downloaded ePub file, rather than using the "fetch news" function. Now it works fine
Anyone who has a Mac should check out Ephemera:

http://blog.zottmann.org/post/367163...hemera-for-mac
Old 02-12-2010, 11:59 PM   #9
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

Quote:
What is the "fetch news" function? How do you use it?
Old 02-13-2010, 07:59 AM   #10
ziegl027
Addict

Quote:
What is the "fetch news" function? How do you use it?

It's a function in Calibre. You select a news source from the list (apparently you can add your own "recipes" to put in new sources, I'm not anywhere near that knowledgeable), tell it how often you want it to "fetch" if you want it automated (or just tell it to fetch on-demand when you click a button), and it dowloads whatever it is into your Calibre library, and then you can add it to your device. Pretty slick. And you know if it's easy enough for me to figure out, it's easy enough for just about everybody. Except, perhaps, my FIL.

The sources are listed according to country/language. Instapaper is listed under "unknown".
Old 02-13-2010, 02:57 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Tried Instapaper for the first time yesterday when I went through the NY Times online. Started reading the articles today on my 900. I'm extremely pleased. This is awesome!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:44 PM   #12
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Tried Instapaper for the first time yesterday when I went through the NY Times online. Started reading the articles today on my 900. I'm extremely pleased. This is awesome!
Do you have a Mac? If so, try out Ephemera:

Old 02-13-2010, 06:54 PM   #13
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

Quote:
It's a function in Calibre. You select a news source from the list (apparently you can add your own "recipes" to put in new sources, I'm not anywhere near that knowledgeable), tell it how often you want it to "fetch" if you want it automated (or just tell it to fetch on-demand when you click a button), and it dowloads whatever it is into your Calibre library, and then you can add it to your device. Pretty slick. And you know if it's easy enough for me to figure out, it's easy enough for just about everybody. Except, perhaps, my FIL.

The sources are listed according to country/language. Instapaper is listed under "unknown".
Holy Guacamole, Batman! Not only does it download Unread, it downloads Starred. Plus under Unknown I find "Read It Later" and Google Reader.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:02 PM   #14
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Do you have a Mac? If so, try out Ephemera:

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:00 PM   #15
tnronin
Zealot
tnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't littertnronin doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
I couldn't get it to do a PDF. bummer.

ETA: I can't get the other stuff either. I've looked at calibre but I can't see where I can go down layers. Could someone help? Thanks.

Last edited by tnronin; 02-13-2010 at 08:05 PM.
tnronin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ereader, instapaper, read it later, readability, sony