Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #1051
Albertde
Albertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it is

Device: Repurposed Fire 7 &10 epub/pdf reader-Kobo Nia: KOReader & Plato
I upgraded two days ago (Thursday) to the Kobo Touch firmware version 2.1.5 r43939 dated 10/12/12 and all my problems with the Kobo appear to be solved. My machine went from slow ("traag") to a speed demon so I am a happy camper. The new context menu that allows one to assign a book to a shelf (or shelves) makes organizing a lot easier.

Thank you very much developers. I am back to reading with my Kobo instead of fighting with it.

Does anyone know how to back it up as I downloaded the software directly via WiFi?

P.s.: Sorry if this is the wrong thread. If so, please move.
Albertde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:02 PM   #1052
LouisXIV
LouisXIV began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Parental controls, please.
LouisXIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #1053
eewild
eewild began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I want reading stats saved in the cloud for sideloaded books. Even if it's just total hours read/total books read. It seems ridiculous that it's not.
eewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #1054
KTREADER
Updating
KTREADER began at the beginning.

Device: KT
Calendar

What about a calendar appointment address book in main memory or better yet in e-pub.

Is that asking too much ?

There must be an e-pub calendar out there somewhere.
KTREADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #1055
RoGuE_StreaK
RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.RoGuE_StreaK did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Kobo Touch
Remove the "wishlist" line. Or at least check that there is a wishlist, remove if none. I don't have, and will never have, a wishlist.

Put the settings button back where it was, and change the icon back to how it was. It's location in the top right corner is a bit difficult for a finger to get to cleanly, it's previous location away from the side was easier to access.
And the gear icon is universally accepted as "settings", what's with the three lines icon?

As someone else said, how about the ability to live-edit a book? Quite a few of my side-loaded books have repeated words / lines, or incorrectly OCR'd letters, would be good to be able to delete/edit these and have the epub file updated.

Oh, and an option to completely disable / hide all social media aspects.

Updated to 2.1.5 last night, so far seems quite nice. Haven't tried the web browser yet, previously it would completely crash the system 95% of the time, requiring a paperclip reset.

Last edited by RoGuE_StreaK; 10-30-2012 at 08:17 PM.
RoGuE_StreaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:29 AM   #1056
echwel
Connoisseur
echwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Forma (sold), Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoGuE_StreaK View Post
And the gear icon is universally accepted as "settings", what's with the three lines icon?
The three lines icon looks like the settings icon on other devices, but at this moment I can't tell what they are.
echwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:20 AM   #1057
MisterBuggie
Enthusiast
MisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura H20 2nd edition
I think the three lines are a representation of a menu, each line being a menu item. Using a cog actually doesn't make much sense. Too many of the symbols on computers are based on objects that have gone out of use and in fact many of the younger generation have never even seen... Like the floppy disk "save" button for instance...
That the menu button should represent a menu is much more logical, though maybe they haven't got it quite right yet if people aren't recognising it.
MisterBuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:18 PM   #1058
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by echwel View Post
The three lines icon looks like the settings icon on other devices, but at this moment I can't tell what they are.
It matches the "menu" icon in Chrome.
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #1059
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Similar Books

After touching the menu icon in Library, a menu (Library menu) including View Details and Similar Books appears. By touching View Details, you have a choice between Synopsis, Similar Books, and Details. Similar Books is the first to appear after touching View Details meaning it takes an extra step to get to Synopsis or Details. Eliminate Similar Books in this section (View Details section) as it is virtually identical to Similar Books in the Library menu and thus redundant. If after touching View details you were presented with all three choices (i.e. Synopsis, Similar Books, and Details) it wouldn't be so bad but being presented with Similar Books by default is annoying.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #1060
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by llcj View Post
Similar Books

After touching the menu icon in Library, a menu (Library menu) including View Details and Similar Books appears. By touching View Details, you have a choice between Synopsis, Similar Books, and Details. Similar Books is the first to appear after touching View Details meaning it takes an extra step to get to Synopsis or Details. Eliminate Similar Books in this section (View Details section) as it is virtually identical to Similar Books in the Library menu and thus redundant. If after touching View details you were presented with all three choices (i.e. Synopsis, Similar Books, and Details) it wouldn't be so bad but being presented with Similar Books by default is annoying.
This happens only when reading a kepub. For other book types, the default is the synopsis. But, I agree, the book details screen should open to the synopsis. If it is blank, then maybe to one of the others.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #1061
scoobertron
Connoisseur
scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo touch
I would love the option to not have the "X% read - sleep mode" banner obscuring part of the cover when the touch is sleeping. This has never been particularly useful to me, and it usually obscures the title of the book I am reading.
scoobertron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #1062
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobertron View Post
I would love the option to not have the "X% read - sleep mode" banner obscuring part of the cover when the touch is sleeping. This has never been particularly useful to me, and it usually obscures the title of the book I am reading.
I think this is possible by de-selecting "full screen" cover display in the Sleep/Power settings. The cover image will then be smaller in sleep/off mode, which means that the X% read banner will be above the cover.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #1063
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoGuE_StreaK View Post
As someone else said, how about the ability to live-edit a book? Quite a few of my side-loaded books have repeated words / lines, or incorrectly OCR'd letters, would be good to be able to delete/edit these and have the epub file updated.
That would be nice (I think about it every day), but I think it would be a different device than an e-book reader. I'm not even sure it would be possible.
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:49 AM   #1064
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
The ability to live edit ebooks would be a cool ereader function, mostly because it's probably easiest to find contextual wrong word errors(OCR), vs. spelling errors, while reading... But, I have to wonder if anyone could offer that feature because of copyright issues and DRM. OTOH, it would be really nice for anything without DRM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:51 AM   #1065
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
The ability to live edit ebooks would be a cool ereader function, mostly because it's probably easiest to find contextual wrong word errors(OCR), vs. spelling errors, while reading... But, I have to wonder if anyone could offer that feature because of copyright issues and DRM. OTOH, it would be really nice for anything without DRM.
That is what I use the highlights and annotations for. Mark things I think are mistakes with a comment about why. Then I check them and fix the book when I am in front of a computer.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote