Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-24-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: BeBook One, Pocketbook Touch, Pocketbook Touch HD
Bebook Mini or Sony PRS 300

Hello

I use a Bebook One since May 2009, and I am really satisfied with it.

Now, my wife also got interested in ebook readers. We went to a few stores, but there we only saw 3 different readers, and all have been from Sony.

They had the PRS 505 (I almost bought that one, before i got the Bebook), the PRS 600 and the PRS 300.

In the beginning, my wife thought a touch screen would be cool, but I heard that a touch screen reflects the light more then one without touchscreen. We checked it in the store and it is true. The PRS 600 reflected much more light then the 505 and the 300. Not too long ago, I showed her my Bebook in bright sunlight and it had almost no reflection - and the 600 reflected a lot in the sunlight. Also the 600 has no card slot, so that is another negative thing.

My wife thinks the smaller PRS 300 (5 inch display) is very cool, she would prefer that one. However, I also told her about the Bebook Mini which is also a 5 inch model.

So how would you compare the Bebook Mini to the Sony PRS 300 ? Which one is better and more reliable ? What about stuff like menu structure ? I am used to the simple structure of the Bebooks, so maybe I am biased, but when I checked I thought the menu of the PRS 300 is overloaded ...

By the way: what other ebook-readers would you recommend ?

As I said: 5 inch would be prefered. No touchscreen. A card slot should be included.
Oh, and if the battery could be replaced easily, that would also be a plus.

Thanks in advance.
NASCARaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:16 PM   #2
crc
unknown
crc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASCARaddicted View Post
Also the 600 has no card slot, so that is another negative thing.
The 600 has card slots... it's the 300 that doesn't.

Last edited by crc; 07-24-2010 at 06:24 PM.
crc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Quote:
By the way: what other ebook-readers would you recommend ?

As I said: 5 inch would be prefered. No touchscreen. A card slot should be included.
Oh, and if the battery could be replaced easily, that would also be a plus.

Thanks in advance.
I'd like to recommend you at least take a look at the Pocketbook 360.

As a previous user of the Sony PRS300 and a current user of the PB 360, for 5" devices, I'd say you couldn't go wrong with either one. But (and you knew it was coming!) - the PRS 300 doesn't have a card slot, although it does have a file structure (called "Collections") that I liked and a user-replaceable battery.

The PB360 has a card slot and a regular PC-like file structure (you can make/search folders on it to the nth level...). And you can replace the battery yourself.

But wait, there's more!

The thing that makes me appreciate the PB360 over any other reader is its ingenious cover that snaps over the screen or onto the back of the device while you're reading. You don't have to buy an extra cover that will add extra weight and bulk to the device.

If it wasn't for the cover, and the ability to flip the device from hand to hand effortlessly, I'd've probably stayed with the PRS 300. It was a nice little device (and you can fit a LOT of books onto its internal memory).

Good luck and happy hunting with your search.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:27 AM   #4
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
BeBook Mini. You have the One so you know how it will work, has SD card slot, faster processor, more formats, and numerous firmware releases to choose from (Jinke, Astak, Bebook, LBook). I looked at the PRS-300 a while ago and the ADE was out of date (no text justification etc) and Sony don't appear to have any updates on their website.

Given Jinke's long term firmware improvements to the original 6" I think the Mini will be supported for the next 3+ years.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:40 AM   #5
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: BeBook One, Pocketbook Touch, Pocketbook Touch HD
Thanks guys.

Seems I got that messed up with the card slot.

I will talk to my wife about your suggestions.
NASCARaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 03:46 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
In the beginning, my wife thought a touch screen would be cool, but I heard that a touch screen reflects the light more then one without touchscreen.
That's only true for a resistive touch screen, such as the Sony has, where the touch sensitivity is provided via an extra layer on top of the screen. There are other types of touch screen which do not have this property, such as the Wacom touch screen used on the BeBook Neo and the iRex devices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:26 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
The touchscreen on my new ProMedia reader (SiPiX screen) doesn't reflect either. It's capacitive.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote