Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-20-2013, 08:32 AM   #31
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Go to your profile page, and under your picture there is a bunch of data:
How many ratings [average in parenthesis]
How many reviews
Etc, etc...

My average is 2.97. Which means I enjoy most of the books I read. It also means that I am not ecstatic about every book. Which I find to be realistic. Not every book is Tolkien or Austen or Dickens.

Last edited by Ravensknight; 03-20-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #32
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Hey thanks! My average is 3.09. I'm actually surprised it's that high. I guess I like a lot of books, but I LOVE very few books (in fact I had no 5 stars in 2012). I am trying to have fewer 1-star books. I have hard time quitting books, and then when I finish, I'm annoyed that I didn't quit sooner. So I started an "abandoned" shelf and I'm trying to quit bad books instead of finishing them.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #33
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
That's just chick lit. I actually don't know how many of the total books I've read have 3 star or higher ratings. That being said, why is it a waste of time? People read for different reasons. Who cares if they love all the books they read or hate them?
To each his own. I actually care enough to read only books I know I will love/like. Time is a currency of our lives as someone said, and I dont care to spend it reading books I wont like/hate.
Quote:
I guess I'm just wondering why you care so much that she or I or anyone would dislike a certain amount of books in a certain genre. I'm still confused about that. Do you think she should write only positive reviews? I just don't get why you think she "reads to hate"? If you read a book completely or even only half way and don't like it, why is it wrong to give a 1 or 2 star rating? I don't think most people start most of the books they read thinking that they'll hate it and give it a bad review. I genuinely read books hoping I'll like them but sometimes that's not the case. Again, I'm just really confused why this annoys you so much.
It's not that I care, it's that I was surprised. Its not a problem if you give 1 or 2 star rating. What I find weird is that rating is accompanied by very very negative reviews thrashing these books, and than she keeps reading in the same genre giving only negative reviews with 1-2 star rating.

Quote:
Another point is that 61% of the chick lit I read I give good ratings too. 60% of the fantasy books the woman on GR read she gave positive reviews to. That's still a majority. I mean how do you determine whether someone like a genre or not beyond and what your criteria for determining that?
Nope. It's not 60% of fantasy. She reads non-fiction, detective and chick lit. I haven't found a single 5 star rating and positive review for fantasy from her. And she keeps on reading it. That's what I found mind boggling.

Quote:
As for having poor taste, I'll say that a lot of the books that I have enjoyed and given positive reviews to would be considered poor taste by some. So YMMV.
I'm not talking about guilty pleasure here. You wont write an awful review about guilty pleasure. You know its trash, but you don't mind it. Nothing wrong with that. But that's not what she's doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I just can't get over that she dissed "Mistborn"!!

Whatever her reasons, that's just nutty. If she is a feminist, it makes even less sense.
The main character is a girl who overcomes all kinds of social obstacles to accomplish
greatness - she even kills the uber-badguy.

Luck;
Ken
Apparently the girl had the audacity to fall in love according to her review of Mistborn. Everybody knows real strong women dont fall in love
As a matter of fact I just read this article today on that topic
http://karinacooper.com/psa-the-stro...haracter-myth/

Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
Goodreads is very useful to read what a book is about and find similar books, but I take reviews with a pinch of salt.
Hear, hear. I'll drink to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barutanseijin View Post
Who knows? The rater in question may enjoy giving negative reviews of fantasy books that she secretly enjoys because she knows it'll get a rise out of others. In other words, she could be a troll. Or maybe she writes in the genre and wants to pooh-pooh writers she sees as competitors. Could be all sorts of motivations behind the low ratings.

I think Goodread ratings are kind of silly anyway. In essence you're summarising a book with a numerical rating.
Who knows indeed. The shock value is in 1-2 star ratings and reviews that trash the books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
Not reading per se but from my perusal of video game message boards over the years I've concluded that nobody on said boards actually enjoys video games.
Is that so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
Ummm... Geralt... Have you gotten amnesia again? Have you lost your silver sword?

If she spends most of her time ravaging books, she probably doesn't have enough time to ravage the countryside. But... Then... Better safe than sorry. Uh...

I'm stumped. If the world's most prominent witcher doesn't know what to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilelover View Post
hey geralt yes some people are clearly not in the right state of minds I have read several books which I did not like but I never said those books were bad, if I came across a bad book I did not go beyond 10 pages why would I waste my time.

Who is this person any how please share her profile link here.
I really wanted to discuss the behavior, not the individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldim View Post
Don't those numbers represent a normal Gausian distribution?

I would only encourage people on GR that don't hesitate to give a rating of less than three stars. Some books are simply not good; those deserve a rating of one or two stars, even if the reader doesn't finish them.

I rather pick a book based on a five star rating from someone that doesn't hesitate to give low ratings to books he or she doesn't like than based on a high rating from someone that only rates books with four or five stars.
I dont know. Ratings themselves wouldn't shock me if they weren't coupled with hateful reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
I am addicted to the deathland books, I have read 30 of them now. They are trashie books and and that is being nice. I intend to read them all and enjoy my guilty pleasure, but seriously it would be wrong to give them at best more than 3 stars no matter how much I enjoy them. It would just be wrong.

applesauce
As I said, this is not about guilty pleasure. You wouldn't write a hateful review on that would you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourgenet View Post
One- and two-star ratings, at least as far as Goodreads is concerned, aren't ratings which suggested hatred. Goodreads intends a two-star rating to be seen as 'meh' and a one-star rating to be seen as, quite neutrally, 'didn't like it'.

I'm somewhat choosy about what I read, and I can count on one hand the number of books I've read through which I've actively disliked, but even so my average rating on Goodreads is only just over three stars. I liked a number of books. I found a number of books suggested to me to illicit nothing more than 'meh' from me. I disliked a few. I loved a few.

Unless somebody has explained their rating system in their profile, I assume that they're following the Goodreads system, wherein even a two-star rating isn't all that negative.
Rating is not the problem if alone. Hateful reviews coupled with 1 star rating trashing everything from concept of the books I mentioned to the characters is what threw me off.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #34
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I frequently see 1-star reviews by the same people on Goodreads - I attribute it to there being people out there who just like to complain and they probably complain online because the people around them in real life don't want to listen to them anymore.

I only look at the average rating of a book to get a general idea of how good the book might be, but it is misleading for books in a series because people who didn't like the first/second book in the series probably quit reading, and only the fans are left reading #10, giving it a higher average rating.

Talking about review on Goodreads in general, why does the MR User CP give you an entry for your AIM ID (and I'm sure very few people use this anymore) and not a Goodreads profile entry? I'd love to follow reviews/ratings/currently reading for MR members that have similar tastes in books as I do - only if they chose to make their GR profile public of course!
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:56 AM   #35
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Well... at least she is finding things better than "Sturgeon's Law" would indicate.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #36
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
There are people out there that are just determined to be unhappy no matter what. I used to work in the hospitality industry. You'd learn to spot them. I could predict with a fair degree of accuracy when someone checked in whether or not there would be complaints about the room, etc. There were times that I felt sorry for the spouses of such unhappy people.

As far as goodreads, I happen to have a 3.45 average. It's not because I'm uncritical or have undiscerning tastes. It's mainly because I usually wait until I'm a good 100 pages in before indicating that I'm reading a book, unless it's a trusted author. By then I'm usually reasonably satisfied with a book or have long since discarded it. I do that because goodreads really needs to make it easier to mark a book as "read but unfinished". I find I have to remove the book entirely and then re-add it, if I want to rate it and keep it in my book shelves but don't want to mark it as "read". It's a hassle. That's a major shortcoming in goodreads, in my opinion. If anyone knows how to do that, please clue me in.

Last edited by usuallee; 03-20-2013 at 11:14 AM.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #37
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
It's easier to criticize than to praise, and usually more fun.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #38
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
There are people out there that are just determined to be unhappy no matter what.
There certainly are. As a student, many years ago, I worked part-time as a waiter for a few months. Every weekend I was astounded by the number of people who went out on a Saturday night with the express purpose of having a really, really bad evening and making sure everyone knew about it.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #39
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I am addicted to the deathland books, I have read 30 of them now. They are trashie books and and that is being nice. I intend to read them all and enjoy my guilty pleasure, but seriously it would be wrong to give them at best more than 3 stars no matter how much I enjoy them. It would just be wrong.

applesauce
I've not read the Deathland books. I don't think I've even heard of them before. I'm flying blind here.

I don't think there's any requirement that a rating be objective. If the books manage to give you enjoyment, they deserve a good rating. Toss an extra star on them. Say, "If loving Deathland is wrong, then I don't want to be right."
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #40
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:

applesauce
I read them too. I think 3 stars is fair, they have some good authors writing them and they're fun reads but they aren't anything more than what they present themselves as: dimestore/truckstop pulp novels. They're great ''I don't know what I feel like reading but I want to read'' books.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #41
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I figure someone like who the OP describes just balances out the rabid fans who rate some drivel at five stars. I read some of the extreme reviews and wonder if we read the same book.

I checked my LibraryThing reviews. I give right around 3 stars on average. I notice that for my entire library of books the members show a bimodal distribution, higher numbers of people rating the same books as 2 or 4 stars than 3.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #42
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
It depends on whether you see the ratings of the book as measuring "greatness" or how much you enjoyed it. If you enjoyed it, I see no reason to give it a lower rating.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:17 PM   #43
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I think all 4 of you above posters are overlooking the fact that it's not just ratings (which would be nothing special by it selves) but the rabid, hateful reviews coupled with ranting which I found shocking in this woman's case.

Last edited by Geralt; 03-20-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:58 PM   #44
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Unless a book is really a train wreck in regards to plot, characterization, grammar, etc., I'd rather just put it aside halfway-read than bother to write up a negative review. If I'm not into a particular genre, then I'm not going to waste my time reading books in it. If I don't like a particular author's style, ditto. Reading is too subjective for one review to be the definitive word on the work.

I'll write up a negative review on a really half-assed piece of writing as a public service to other readers, if it doesn't deliver on its hype - and especially if it abounds with factual errors that should have been caught when it was being edited.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:06 AM   #45
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
I think all 4 of you above posters are overlooking the fact that it's not just ratings (which would be nothing special by it selves) but the rabid, hateful reviews coupled with ranting which I found shocking in this woman's case.
Since we've had no opportunity to read these reviews, it's pretty hard for us to comment on them. Is the reviewer throwing offensive personal insults at the author, or do you just disagree strongly with her response to the books?

Either way, Goodreads is for all readers, and (short of actionable libel) readers get to choose how they respond to books. If you don't like or agree with her reviews, don't follow her.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote