Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-09-2021, 04:18 PM   #1
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Onyx Leaf

I've seen talk of it elsewhere, but not here:

https://onyxboox.com/boox_leaf

https://www.techinthebasket.de/onyx-...nk-reader.html

It's 7".
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 05:13 PM   #2
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I've seen talk of it elsewhere, but not here:

https://onyxboox.com/boox_leaf

https://www.techinthebasket.de/onyx-...nk-reader.html

It's 7".
The German description in your second link calls the Leaf a "Nova Air". I suspect it's a slightly stripped-down version of the Nova Air for certain markets. Onyxboox,com usually deals in stripped-down models for the Russian market.

That's what it looks like to me!
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2021, 06:58 PM   #3
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Holy crap. This stuff is driving me insane.
I went to the same site where I got my Poke3: https://shop.boox.com/products/poke3
Now it only has ship from Hong Kong, EU, UK.
For the US it directs you to: https://us.boox.com/
And that site doesn't even sell the Poke3!
The Nova Air for $350 is the cheapest thing that they sell.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 07:28 PM   #4
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
The nova air is 7.8". The leaf is 7". It looks like a refresh of the original 6.8" range. Its 215 euro, but maybe thats plus sales tax. Anyway, onyx makes so many, its dizzying.

I agree about the weirdness on where to buy etc. If only we could buy safely from our continent...
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 03:33 AM   #5
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I agree about the weirdness on where to buy etc. If only we could buy safely from our continent...
I have a delivery address in Germany and bought the device with free delivery for €215 - 7 inch and 170g.
Usually the delivery from this company takes about a week, then I can report
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2021, 02:03 PM   #6
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Smile

I got it two days ago.
Coming from a Sony PRS-T1, which did not have any light, reading on the Leaf in the evening is a pure delight with its beautiful soft yellow light.
Getting rid of the hard refresh when turning pages on the Sony is a blessing ! Reading is now a perfectly smooth experience ! Congratulations to E-ink for this recent improvement to the Carta tech !
My biggest surprise was when I tried a PDF : it was perfectly readable in landscape mode, after activating auto cropping and increasing contrast by a notch ! I wanted a small lightweight device for reading epubs, but with a screen larger than 6'', which I always found too cramped on the Sony. And I thought I would buy a 13" device in the future for PDFs. Now I realize I will not need one ! Incredible ! A tap or two are needed for reading the middle/bottom of the page, without any hard refresh of the screen : perfect ! And in normal mode ! At the highest resolution, without any ghosting whatsoever !
All that without any additional software, simply with the Boox reading software.
I also transferred books from my PC (Linux) with the included cable (USB A on the PC to USB C on the Leaf) : all I had to do was copying and pasting in a file management software. It was fast (1 second per file max), and the covers appeared immediately on the screen of the Leaf, in the library.
Conclusion : this is the perfect reader for me.
I will buy a new one when color e-ink technology has progressed enough to allow watching videos in Full HD at 30p.

P.S. : I almost bought the Poke 3 because it was 40 grams lighter and much cheaper in one online shop, but I reasoned that the Leaf being larger the additional weight would not really be felt. And indeed it feels much lighter than my phone although there is only a 10 gram difference. And I really wanted the latest Carta tech without any hard refresh when turning pages.

Last edited by Lbooker; 11-25-2021 at 02:28 PM.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 02:46 PM   #7
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Picture of the screen of my Leaf when reading an epub. My smartphone camera does not capture the actual color of the light, so I made it warmer in the settings of the camera app.
In reality it was more yellow.

P.S.: I retook the picture with the zoom, so now the corners are far less fuzzy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211126_215954.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	190471  

Last edited by Lbooker; 11-26-2021 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-26-2021, 03:53 PM   #8
Lbooker
Addict

Picture of the top part of a page from a pdf in landscape mode with automatic crop, with yellow light setting.
Taken with a smartphone camera in 2X.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211126_212620.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	190470  
Old 11-26-2021, 10:23 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbooker View Post
Getting rid of the hard refresh when turning pages on the Sony is a blessing ! Reading is now a perfectly smooth experience ! Congratulations to E-ink for this recent improvement to the Carta tech !
Um... partial refresh has existed for more than 10 years, long before there were Carta screens. My first cheapie Kindle I bought in 2011 did partial refresh. So did Kobo readers. I think Sony was one of the few brands not having it.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 07:21 AM   #10
Lbooker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Um... partial refresh has existed for more than 10 years, long before there were Carta screens. My first cheapie Kindle I bought in 2011 did partial refresh. So did Kobo readers. I think Sony was one of the few brands not having it.
You are probably right. What I read anyway is that Carta 1200/1250 has improved speed when turning pages and contrast.

One thing I forgot to mention is that holding the Leaf with one hand from the larger side is very comfortable thanks to this reader being so lightweight. An improvement over my Sony, which had the large border at the bottom.

Last edited by Lbooker; 11-27-2021 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-27-2021, 07:58 AM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You are probably right. What I read anyway is that Carta 1200/1250 has improved speed when turning pages and contrast.
Contrast has certainly improved (the two latest Kobos use the same tech and the difference from previous gen. screens is quite noticeable). Speed, can't really tell. A bit, perhaps. (But compared to the 10-year-old Sony, I guess considerably).
Old 11-29-2021, 01:08 PM   #12
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:

One thing I forgot to mention is that holding the Leaf with one hand from the larger side is very comfortable thanks to this reader being so lightweight. An improvement over my Sony, which had the large border at the bottom.
Sadly, the new Onyx devices don't use the latest Carta 1200/1250..

I've got two problems with my Nova 3 - the screen makes the text slightly blurry and there are no physical page turn buttons. I use it exclusively as a reader and not for the note taking functionality. I guess note takers would be willing to endure a slightly blurrier screen for a good writing feel.

I don't get why Onyx don't prioritize a crisper display on their read-only devices. I would love something like the Libra 2, but with Android, a powerful processor and a better corpus (in metal like the latest Boox devices). Make the screen indented like on the Libra 2, and use the latest technology with good contrast - or better yet: become true heroes by making an Onyx Boox version of the Voyage - a powerhouse reader with a clear screen at 7-8 inches.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 01:47 PM   #13
Lbooker
Addict

On my Leaf texts are perfectly clear. I did not want a reader with a note taking layer making the texts blurry.

The Lumi 2 officially uses Carta 1250 :
https://shop.boox.com/products/maxlumi2

But not their other readers apparently...damn ! You are right about this !

Thank Nietzsche the light and the software are great, and the screen very good anyway.
Old 11-29-2021, 02:51 PM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

The Kobo Sage doesn't have a blurry screen. Not even slightly. Despite the flush screen and the note-taking layer, the text is almost as sharp as that of the Libra 2. The contrast on them is very similar.

The Sage does have a more uneven frontlight, though.
Old 11-29-2021, 06:26 PM   #15
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
I've got two problems with my Nova 3 - the screen makes the text slightly blurry
Are you sure that you have "High Contrast Text" disabled on the specific app? That setting affects even normal black text, but it really shows up as a bogus border on white text.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote