Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-01-2021, 05:14 PM   #1
jenrar
Connoisseur
jenrar began at the beginning.

Device: none
Getting an "Unhandled exception" error (and more)

Ever since I installed 5.32.0, when I try to move a book or books from one library to another, I get this error:

calibre, version 5.32.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>PermissionError</b>:[WinError 5] Access is denied: 'C:\\Users\\jenra\\OneDrive\\Desktop\\Calibre\\New \\Adele Abbott\\The Not-A-Date (132)'

calibre 5.32 embedded-python: True is64bit: False
Windows-10-10.0.19041 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '10', '10.0.19041')
Python 3.8.5
Windows: ('10', '10.0.19041', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Gather KFX-ZIP (from KFX Input) (1, 45, 0) && DeDRM (7, 0, 3) && Package KFX (from KFX Input) (1, 45, 0) && Clean Metadata (0, 0, 6) && EpubMerge (2, 11, 0) && EpubSplit (3, 1, 0) && Find Duplicates (1, 8, 10) && Goodreads Sync (1, 15, 1) && KFX metadata reader (from KFX Input) (1, 45, 0) && KFX Input (1, 45, 0) && Manage Series (1, 2, 11) && Quality Check (1, 11, 4)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 404, in rmtree_with_retry
File "shutil.py", line 737, in rmtree
File "shutil.py", line 619, in _rmtree_unsafe
File "shutil.py", line 617, in _rmtree_unsafe
PermissionError: [WinError 5] Access is denied: 'C:\\Users\\jenra\\OneDrive\\Desktop\\Calibre\\New \\Adele Abbott\\The Not-A-Date (132)'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "calibre\gui2\actions\copy_to_library.py", line 447, in copy_to_library
File "calibre\gui2\actions\copy_to_library.py", line 513, in do_copy
File "calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 420, in delete_books_by_id
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 75, in call_func_with_lock
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 1796, in remove_books
File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 1756, in remove_books
File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 1245, in rmtree
File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 409, in rmtree_with_retry
PermissionError: [WinError 5] Access is denied: 'C:\\Users\\jenra\\OneDrive\\Desktop\\Calibre\\New \\Adele Abbott\\The Not-A-Date (132)'

If I restart it, the book has been moved and is gone from the library I was moving it (and deleting it) from.

If I click to edit a book, I get this message:

calibre, version 5.32.0
ERROR: Permission denied: Could not change the on disk location of this book. Is it open in another program?

Locked file: C:\Users\jenra\OneDrive\Desktop\Calibre\New\Adele Abbott\The Not-A-Date (132)

File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 404, in rmtree_with_retry

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "calibre\gui2\metadata\single.py", line 619, in apply_changes
File "calibre\gui2\metadata\basic_widgets.py", line 240, in commit
File "calibre\db\legacy.py", line 927, in func
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 75, in call_func_with_lock
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 1247, in set_field
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 1260, in update_path
File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 1697, in update_path
File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 1245, in rmtree
File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 409, in rmtree_with_retry

I click OK to exit the error message, then click OK again, and it goes through just fine with the changes I made done.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled it. Still no dice.

Please help!
jenrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 05:29 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You can not run (with a Library) on a Networked drive with any reliability (if at all)

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...rked-drive-nas

If it did manage to run, it can Fail or worse, CORRUPT what you have.
Move it back to a UN SYNCED folder, the switch Caliber to the new location
Right click the Library Icon: Creat Switch: Use the Previously... :<select location>
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 05:31 PM   #3
jenrar
Connoisseur

I umm...don't understand any of that. lol

Networked drive?

My calibre is installed locally here on my laptop. I am in the process of moving my files from OneDrive to Google Drive, but are you saying I shouldn't have my Calibre synced to a backup service like OD or GD?
Old 12-01-2021, 05:58 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Google Drive is the WORST for Calibre as it actually changes the names of folders and files as part of its history.

LOCAL DRIVE ONLY. (OK to back up a Library when Calibre is not Running) Mirror, not Sync (2-way)
Old 12-01-2021, 06:02 PM   #5
jenrar
Connoisseur

Oh, dang. lol Okay, I'll make sure to not sync up the Calibre folder automatically, then. Will just do it manually, I guess.

But what about the issues I'm having currently? I haven't had them at all until 5.32.0!
Old 12-01-2021, 06:45 PM   #6
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrar View Post
Oh, dang. lol Okay, I'll make sure to not sync up the Calibre folder automatically, then. Will just do it manually, I guess.

But what about the issues I'm having currently? I haven't had them at all until 5.32.0!
Please see the FAQ's.

Quote:
be aware that Google Drive is incompatible with calibre, if you put your calibre library in Google Drive, you will suffer data loss. See this thread for details.
bernie

Good luck

P.S.
Get you calibre library out of your onedrive folder then run library maintenance on it. Make two copies and run maintenance only on one.

Last edited by gbm; 12-01-2021 at 06:49 PM.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:50 PM   #7
jenrar
Connoisseur

Oh, so I can't even put it in there and keep it updated manually? Damn. Maybe I'll just keep it backupped on OD... Damn GD. lol I just am tired of OD. lol

Thanks.

Still don't know what to do about my problems! lol

Oh, will try the maintenence. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Please see the FAQ's.

bernie

Good luck

Last edited by jenrar; 12-01-2021 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:10 PM   #8
jenrar
Connoisseur

Maintenance, if I did what you meant, found no problems.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:17 PM   #9
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Maintenance, if I did what you meant, found no problems.
Then you got very lucky.

This is maintenance.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2021-12-01 19-16-47.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	366.2 KB
ID:	190587

bernie
Old 12-01-2021, 07:23 PM   #10
gbm
Wizard

Quote:
Then you got very lucky.

This is maintenance.
Attachment 190587

bernie
Edit:

I have samba enabled on my router and a usb drive attached where i keep my calibre backup.
Old 12-01-2021, 10:08 PM   #11
jenrar
Connoisseur

Yup, that's what I did. *shrug* LOL

So yeah, still no answer for my problems right now.

Quote:
Then you got very lucky.

This is maintenance.
Attachment 190587

bernie
Old 12-01-2021, 10:09 PM   #12
jenrar
Connoisseur

Hmm. I don't want to use a usb drive, so I think I'll just keep using OneDrive for calibre alone, since I'll have the space anyway with my Office subscription.

Quote:
Edit:

I have samba enabled on my router and a usb drive attached where i keep my calibre backup.
Old 12-01-2021, 10:29 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Hmm. I don't want to use a usb drive, so I think I'll just keep using OneDrive for calibre alone, since I'll have the space anyway with my Office subscription.
USB drives are not limited to Flash/Pen. (tend to be slow)
I have USB connected Hard drives I use for alternate backup (I back documents and Library to my NAS). USB3 drives are fast (if you have USB3 ports)
Old 12-02-2021, 05:03 AM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For calibre libraries: there is no discernible performance difference between my external USB 3.1 drives and my SATA III internal drive - both are PDQ.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote