Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 02-15-2007, 12:17 PM   #1
Vaporware
Not here yet.
Vaporware began at the beginning.

Device: ETI-2 Ebook Reader
Comics page turn behavior

I posted this in kirys' thread about making JE-Comics PDFs, but I wanted to address a larger audience to see if anyone has noticed anything about this topic while hacking.

I have an issue that I believe is not related to your program at all. It's sony reader specific behavior. When viewing pictures as a JPG in the picture viewer function, the reader does a MUCH more through job of the black/white flash to remove any trace of ghosting. It almost looks like a double page turn. When I read a graphical PDF, I almost always have ghosting of the previous page because it only does a single page turn. Do you think re-packaging the PDF as an BBeB could have a toggle for graphic novels which would enable the double page turn?
Vaporware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Yes, there are different ways of reseting the states of the capsules in the eInk panel.

There is a faster way, which can leave more ghosts behind, but works fairly well for text as the eInk is usually left mostly white or mostly black.

Images though tend to use all those intensities between white and black. Gathering the eInk back to a known state tends to require the slower collection method that looks like a double erase.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2007, 07:02 PM   #3
Vaporware
Not here yet.
Vaporware began at the beginning.

Device: ETI-2 Ebook Reader
Thanks, that's what I thought. Would that behavior be able to be triggered in a toggle in a bbeb file, or is hard coded to the type of file?
Vaporware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:44 PM   #4
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

It would be I think: hard coded into the viewer program.

On the iLiad I had coded an extension for a file you could create/delete that turned on the fast erase/slow erase for the PDF viewer (iRex provided no access to add configuration items.)

It is also the case that the erase timing could be made programmable. Some people like faster page flips and are not annoyed as much with the ghost effect. While others want no ghosts and are happy to trade off a slower page flip to get it. And some want it just right: a little slower, a little less ghost.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:06 PM   #5
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Too bad you can't have "books" of jpegs on the Reader to trigger this behavior (PDF's don't count, as the Reader doesn't draw the pages the same as Jpegs. haven't noticed this behavior with lrf's either). Though I don't think I'd really care for the double redraw when I flip pages, it would come in handy for details.

Edit: Continuing this thought... perhaps you could have pages of a comic numerically ordered and add them to a collection in the reader software, that way you could view the collection as a complete comic? To bad there isn't an easier way to create collections outside of using the Connect software... too slow.

Last edited by Azayzel; 02-15-2007 at 11:08 PM.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2007, 11:49 PM   #6
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel
To bad there isn't an easier way to create collections outside of using the Connect software... too slow.
I'm experimenting with a "Collection" directory next to Card and Reader in my mountable filesystem. If you make a directory in there you create a collection. When you copy files into the directory they are added to the collection.

First I have to get a few other things working... rename, I'm really wanting rename to get working...
Old 02-16-2007, 06:02 AM   #7
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Sounds cool Scotty, while I haven't used your mountable filesystem, it sounds like something I'll have to take a peek at. Just curious, what do you mean about the renaming issue? I use a windows utlity called 1-4a Renamer that works great on directories, perhaps you can use this in conjunction with your mountable fs utility? Thanks!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:45 AM   #8
scotty1024
Banned

There are some USB commands still to be gotten working correctly, one of those is rename. So far there is no example of it in Sony's CONNECT software so I'm having to figure the command out by trying various things.

Another is "How much space is left". Unix doesn't grok composite file systems. The mountable filesystem looks like one filesystem to Unix but is actually two filesystems on the Sony Reader with two different amounts of available storage space: two pegs one hole to put a peg into.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:24 AM   #9
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaporware
I have an issue that I believe is not related to your program at all. It's sony reader specific behavior. When viewing pictures as a JPG in the picture viewer function, the reader does a MUCH more through job of the black/white flash to remove any trace of ghosting. It almost looks like a double page turn.
That'd be because it IS in fact a double page turn.
Picture viewer displays a rough preview in the first second, than re-refreshes the page and shows the full-resolution display immediately after that. Watch very carefully and you'll notice the first "iteration" is actually a pixelised preview.

That said, there really seem to be different "depths" of page refresh available and implemented. Some parts of the interface refresh faster and leave more ghosting, while other parts take longer to refresh and leave much less ghosts. Also, i'm willing to bet that there's actually much more ghosting in ebooks with the current firmware, than with the previous (first) one. And it refreshes a bit more quickly too.
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote