Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #1
lente
Enthusiast
lente is on a distinguished road

Device: bebook
Question Books are a disappearing.

I finally got over the fact that because of geo-restrictions I cannot buy all the ebooks I want. I pray to god every day to make it go away, but other than that I have accepted it, I really have... I have! But now ebooks are disappearing, I have a few ebooks I wanted to buy, but didn't have the money for them yet (I don't want to buy to many books at ones, to expensive). I waited only two weeks, but it's to late, they are gone, disappeared. So has something happened that I'm not aware of? I thought things were settling down in the ebook scene.
lente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:52 AM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Yes, it's happened to me a few times as well. But it's not especially recent. I noticed it several months ago.

I guess the solution is in our own hands. Either grab the book as soon as you see it. Or live without it.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 09:54 AM   #3
lente
Enthusiast
lente is on a distinguished road

Device: bebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Yes, it's happened to me a few times as well. But it's not especially recent. I noticed it several months ago.

I guess the solution is in our own hands. Either grab the book as soon as you see it. Or live without it.
Yes, you are right and I've got piles of money lying around anyway.
lente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
But why remove the ebooks? The cost for keeping them is pretty much zero so they only stand to profit from any sales though, amusingly, I couldn't find "The long tail" as an ebook so perhaps they're not aware of this concept.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
They are removing them now so they can bring them back later in a "new special edition" at double the price.
It works for Disney.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 04:48 AM   #6
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
But why remove the ebooks?
It could be that the author or publisher had second thoughts. Maybe they felt that the ebooks sales were harming their traditional sales. Maybe they had pressure from booksellers.

Just a guess.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:01 AM   #7
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Would booksellers have that much influence? For the writers I read, the ebooks that are withdrawn do coincide with the real books with high value, but I think that is either just a coincidence or they are trying to make the ebook version scarce too. Not that the ebooks don't live on after they are withdrawn from sale, of course.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:46 AM   #8
Mike L
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Would booksellers have that much influence?
Possibly. For most mainstream publishers, traditional booksellers are far and away their main market. But whether they can exert enough pressure to actually force ebooks to be withdrawn ... well, maybe not. I was just speculating.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:08 PM   #9
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
But why remove the ebooks? The cost for keeping them is pretty much zero so they only stand to profit from any sales though, amusingly, I couldn't find "The long tail" as an ebook so perhaps they're not aware of this concept.
Also as Fictionwise has said, the ebooks may be with the publisher. When you buy an ebook from Fictionwise you may actually be accessing the publishers site in the background. In other words Fictionwise is not the one holding the content. The assumption in this case is it is the publishers decision and not the retailer. Of course this is not always the case. There are books that are purchased directly from the retailer.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by timezone View Post
Also as Fictionwise has said, the ebooks may be with the publisher. When you buy an ebook from Fictionwise you may actually be accessing the publishers site in the background. In other words Fictionwise is not the one holding the content.
At FW, that's true for all books except the "multi-format" offerings; FW host those themselves.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote