Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-04-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
Debi
Connoisseur
Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Ipad Mini 2, Ipad Air 2
My Head Is Spinning.....

Hi
I'm Debi from the coalfields of Virginia and I really want an e-book reader. A friend recently bought a Nook and let me look at it which has made the itch much worse. The screen at the bottom was very distracting whether it was on or off. The 6 inch screen was nice but I would probably need something larger. Since I probably won't be able to touch one before buying I'd like to lean on you guys for as much help as I can get.

Situation:
I am legally blind, so as you can imagine screen size, contrast, fonts and font sizes are my main concerns. So far I'm looking at the Sony 900, the Irex 800SC and maybe the Ipad, though I have to admit I'm not a big fan.
I've been reading here and elsewhere about formats and converting files which sounds like it may be a necessity for me. I am unfamiliar with all of this but am willing to experiment and learn.
My reading will be purely for pleasure - recent and current fiction. No newspapers or magazines. I'll stick with my 24 inch monitor or magnifying glass for such things. Just to be able to curl up comfortably with a book without juggling a book in one hand and a magnifying glass in the other would be wonderful. Large print books - when they are available in that format - are great but are ofter so heavy that reading becomes less about the story and more about holding the book. Audiobooks have become my format of necessity recently but just can't replace holding a book in your hands.

I've looked at the charts which give info like number of font sizes but little about what that actually means. How big is xl or even medium and what fonts can I choose from? Is the xl the same in one format as another? On the computer I tend to default to Ariel. As an example, I am sitting about a foot from the 24 inch monitor and what I am typing appears as Ariel 18 does in a word document with my resolution at 1024 X 768. I would probably like something a bit larger to be able to hold the book further from my face.

I've read some discussion about Adobe InDesign. I have an older version of this program (Creative Suite 3) but have never used it. Would it be something I might be able to use?

Price IS a consideration but not at the top of the list. I would prefer to buy for the long term - or as long term as the ever changing electronics industry will allow.

Suggestions and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I've probably forgotten a few questions so if you think it might be relevant, please educate me.

Thanks
Debi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
If I were you I would wait for the 9" devices scheduled to be released this year.

I don't think Sony 900 would work for you as the width is the same as on the 6" devices and with a large font you only get a couple words per line.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2010, 05:38 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
My suggestion would be the DR800SG with the 3rd party FBReader reading app. The 1st screenshot is from an iRex Iliad using FBReader at 36-point. This is an 8" screen, just like the DR800SG. The image will likely seem larger on a PC monitor than the device. Someone running the DR800 emulator may be able to produce a similar screenshot closer to how the DR800 will show this.

It sounds like you may be able to use a smaller font than this, FBReader allows you to choose from lots of font sizes. On EInk screens, making a font bolder can make a big difference in its readability. Most fonts appear heavier at large sizes, but FBReader can auto-bold everything if you want. FBReader is available for a Windows PC (or a Linux Desktop), so you can try it out before buying. The DR800SG version is exactly the Linux Desktop version (very similar to the Windows version). This means you will need to use the stylus on relatively small icons to do anything except turn pages, but when reading an ebook turning pages is all that is needed routinely. Choosing the ebook from your library still uses the DR800SG's navigation, rather than FBReader's library software.

FBReader is an add-on for the DR800SG. So it isn't as well integrated into the device as the built-in readers. Pocketbook and Onyx include FBReader in their standard software. They only have 6" readers at present, although both are planning larger screened devices.

If you want to checkout the Sony PRS-900, then the Sony eBook Library for Windows or Mac can give you a good sense of what you will get. The 2nd screenshot is from the eBL with the XXL font. The text pane is 600x800, which is standard for 6" EInk screens, and the PRS-900 is 600x1024 (exactly the same width but taller). Once again this will be smaller on the actual device than your monitor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iliad_FBR_large.png
Views:	309
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	49172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony_ePub_XXL.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	49174  

Last edited by wallcraft; 04-04-2010 at 05:49 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:17 PM   #4
Debi
Connoisseur
Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the replies and pictures. Those help a lot.

Wallcraft, I think you're right the 36 appears too large and heavy. The shot from the Sony looks like it might be about the right size but if that's as large as it goes then that could be an issue in certain light.

Frozennorth, I'm sure your advice is the best, but it's so hard to wait when you've got the itch.

I suppose for now I'll check out FBReader and keep watching the forums until I can't stand it any more. Hopefully I will make an informed decision and be happy with my choice.

Again, thanks for the replies.

Debi
Old 04-04-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
perhaps the Kindle DX - they have text to speech and variable font sizes plus they seem to be trying to service the blind community having announced a firmware upgrade to add voice prompts to menu navigation in an upcoming firmware upgrade
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 09:08 AM   #6
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Debi, I understand that you want to count with a device ASAP, but I adhere to the opinion that you should wait for the large screen readers with integrated fbreader software. Fbreader allows a myriad of text sizes, the last one being size 50 in Pocketbook (can't say of Onyx) and you can put the fonts you prefer inside the device and use them in fbreader. I'm quite sure such devices will be quite an investment, but they'll pay off by giving you what you need.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:39 PM   #7
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
I agree that you might be happier waiting. There are a bunch of new 9" readers coming out soon that will have more capabilities than the current ones. If you look at the device wiki, you'll see that six of the larger screen devices are coming soon. Available font sizes depend on the reader and type of file. On my little 5", the largest font size gives me two to three words per line and I can read them from 10 feet away. My mother is legally blind (refracts at -15) and she had no problems reading larger sized fonts on a borrowed 6". The size that was comfortable for her provided about 30 words per page. She didn't like not being able to see the whole paragraph at once.

With an interest in reading current fiction, you also need to look at what formats are available for the books and authors you might want to read. Adobe Digital Editions (ADEPT) ePubs and PDFs are the standard for many of the readers these days. The perfect reader that won't read the books you want will disappoint you. It is possible to strip the DRM off of most formats, but that's something you may want to look into before committing to a device.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:12 PM   #8
Debi
Connoisseur

Update....The spinning has stopped.

I ordered a Sony 900. It should be here within a week.

I got the chance to play with a Sony 300 a few days ago and found the largest font size to be readable, so I decided that if the 900 had twice as many font sized I should be able to use it. It was very tempting to bring the 300 home with me but I forced myself to walk away. It's just so darned cute!!!

In preparation I've installed Calibre and downloaded a book from Gutenberg to play with. Sony software will be next.

I do have a few questions. With the touch screen, can/should I use a screen protector? I did a search and have only come up with one from Amazon. What are the pros and cons of a skin? Is a simple cream skin an option? Most of the ones I've seen look like they would be very distracting.

Needless to say I am very excited and a little nervous. I have 3 weeks to decide if I'll keep it or send it back. I keep telling myself if I find I've made a bad decision I can always gift it to my sister for her birthday or Christmas and go with one of the bigger ones when they come out.

Thank you everyone for your advice and suggestions. It has been very helpful.

Wish me luck.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:15 PM   #9
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Check out our own book collection here - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebooks.php

These books have are much cleaner versions than you'll find at Project Gutenberg. People clean up the scanning errors, insert a Table of Contents, include italics, and even illustrations. Books by people like HarryT look just like the paper version.

Calibre is a great program to use with a Sony, especially for the way it creates Collections. Just be aware that if Sony and Calibre both try to write to your Reader at the same time, your Reader will get confused. It's best to make certain that Calibre or the Sony software is closed first.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #10
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debi View Post
Wish me luck.
Deciding is the hardest part. Once you've got the reader in your hands and are half way through your first book I'm sure you'll love it.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:58 PM   #11
Debi
Connoisseur

Polly, thanks for the link. I had checked because I wanted a specific book. It wasn't there.

I have spent the last 20+ years working with a group that produces a play based on the novel The Trail of the Lonesome Pine by John Fox, Jr. and have to confess I have never read the novel. I am more than familiar with the playwright's adaptation of the novel but have often thought it would be nice to read the book but it is not available in large print. I thought this should be the first "free" book I read.

Also, would it be OK if I posted my questions about the 900 in the Sony forum since I'm really in need of a reply about the screen protector soon.