Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-02-2010, 06:47 PM   #1
lucone
lucone began at the beginning.

Device: IREX DR1000s, Kobo Aura H20
Lightbulb Falcon: A new language for develop for DR1000 and DR800

Hi to all:

Falcon is an Open Source, simple, fast and powerful programming language, easy to learn and to feel comfortable with, and a scripting engine ready to empower mission-critical multithreaded applications.

Falcon provides six integrated programming paradigms: procedural, object oriented, prototype oriented, functional, tabular and message oriented. And you don't have to master all of them; you just need to pick the ingredients you prefer, and let the code to follow your inspiration.

In our group two people are proud owner of an DR1000 (that's me!) and a DR800 (jonnymind, the "mind" of Falcon) ; so the choice of the first e-Readers where porting our language has been easy!

Falcon's installation is very easy, on DR: simply copy the files.
Falcon's space occupation is very light: less than 13 Megabytes!

You can find all the informations you need at our site: http://falconpl.org

This is the main page for the porting project: http://falconpl.org/index.ftd?page_id=prjs&prj_id=femb

You will be welcome!!
lucone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:09 AM   #2
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Hi lucone,

Can you post an example program/script written in the language, so I can see what it is capable of? Does it have bindings with the dr system calls? Can you create windows/widgets or other UI elements? Or should it be added to existing programs as an embedded language to automate certain task within that program?
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2010, 11:06 AM   #3
lucone

Hi Mackx

here two examples:

batterystate.fal: get the status of DR battery and shows it on the screen
menu.fal "create" and ad hoc menu and shows it

we have dbus, sqllite, xml and gtk (and many others...) modules ready and running, so we can read the metadata.db natively and "speak" with dbus, for example.

Currently we're working on a dedicated gtk wrapping for e-readers and irex in particular.
Attached Files
File Type: zip IREX-examples.zip (652 Bytes, 498 views)
Old 03-04-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Thanks very much for the quick reply, I will play with them.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:42 PM   #5
Mackx
Guru

Looks promissing, although I think there is still a lot of work to do.
I had to get the svn archive to run the examples, the zip files you posted are not complete. I am looking forward for further progress.
I read the todo-file, for items 7 and 8, check the install.sh file of the djvu-plug-in on how to link file-extensions to a program and linking an icon to file-extensions.
Advert
Old 03-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #6
lucone

I got the examples from the svn.

Sorry

Yeah, we have work to do and we are working on it.

Thanks for the hints.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:47 AM   #7
jonnymind
jonnymind began at the beginning.

Device: IREX DR800S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
I had to get the svn archive to run the examples, the zip files you posted are not complete. I am looking forward for further progress.
That's because we've been fixing several bugs in the last month; a bugfix release is scheduled by next Sunday.

Also, we're providing a lightweight graphical interface SDK designed for e-readers, but it will take very probably a couple of weeks (maybe less if someone wants to lend a hand :-).
jonnymind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:00 PM   #8
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnymind View Post
That's because we've been fixing several bugs in the last month; a bugfix release is scheduled by next Sunday.

Also, we're providing a lightweight graphical interface SDK designed for e-readers, but it will take very probably a couple of weeks (maybe less if someone wants to lend a hand :-).
Thanks for the info, looking forward for the updates. Unfortunately I got my hands full on my own projects, so I won't have some time to help you.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:37 AM   #9
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnymind View Post

I was thinking in porting lua (as Hansel did for Iliad), it's a good language for these devices.
Anyway, I'll wait for this falcon release to test if it serves well.
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:13 PM   #10
lucone

Thanks Inigo.

I'm quite sure we will not disappoint your expectations...
Old 03-08-2010, 04:43 AM   #11
jonnymind
jonnymind began at the beginning.

Device: IREX DR800S
Falcon 0.9.6.4 on IREX

Hello,

We have just issue a new release of Falcon (Chimera - 0.9.6.4). There is a binary tar-pack prepared for the Irex DR800/1000; it's meant to be unpacked in /usr and launched from the emulator ssh command line.

http://www.falconpl.org/index.ftd?pa...icial_download

(Notice that future binary released will be hosted inthe specific embedding project: http://www.falconpl.org/index.ftd?pa...js&prj_id=femb)

We're working on the graphics interface and should be able to have something ready relatively soon.
jonnymind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #12
friflaj
friflaj began at the beginning.

Device: Irex 1000S
Is this project still available? I can't find the binaries, and I'm not sure how to go about installing it.
friflaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:12 AM   #13
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by friflaj View Post
Is this project still available? I can't find the binaries, and I'm not sure how to go about installing it.
There have been no news about this since more than a year ago.

If you are looking for alternatives to C/C++ to develop apps for DR devices, you can use lua [1] and vala [2] languages.

Lua is an interpreted and fast enough language, maybe easier, but lacks of DR features integration. I have not intention to continue with it, but for small self-contained scripts it could be very useful.

On the other hand, vala is my choice now. It's a language similar to C#, more difficult than python or lua, but it's faster and the apps can be easily integrated with DR features (menu, etc).
Vala compiler generates C code from vala sources, that is then converted to DR native code using the DR cross-compiler.
Vala is quite easy to use in Linux, but maybe hard in Windows. Anyway you would need a linux devel environment for the crosscompiler.

There is also a python 2.6 port [3], but it's slowness in DR devices made me to start packaging lua some time ago.

Hope it helps,
Iņigo

[1] https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79273
[2] https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=128020
[3] https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77448
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
developement, dr1000, dr800, new language