Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-27-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
Mitch G
Connoisseur
Mitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle
Impressions of a new Kindle (ereader) user

Although these posts can be a bit self-serving, I know when shopping for something new, I find posts like this helpful. So, here's my "first impressions" post for the Kindle 2.

I came into this as a paperbook snob. I really like(d) the idea of having a "real" book that I can hold, smell, and have a tactile sense of how far along in the book I am. I couldn't imagine enjoying using an eReader.
Nonetheless, we bought a Kindle for my daughter for Christmas - she loves to read and being a young-un she enjoys gadgets. (As do I, for the record.)
Other than checking it out and downloading a couple of books before wrapping it, I really hadn't used it.
But, last night she was at a sleep over, so I figured I would try it out.
All I can say is that I'm sold.

One of my concerns was whether or not it would be awkward to hold and manipulate the device. I find holding the Kindle is quite comfortable in any of my reading positions - even lying on my back. In fact, I would say it's even easier to hold and change pages than with a real book.
My only concern is that if I nod off, I might drop it on my head.

I was also concerned about reading at night where I use a small LED light. No problem. The E-ink page is as good as a traditional black ink on white paper page. I almost wonder if it's easier on the eyes - but time will have to show whether or not that's the case.

And, I really like the little bar along the bottom of the page that shows percentage progress through the book. It's kind of fun to see that I'm almost 40% of the way through, etc. And the little dots showing chapters is a nice touch as well.

And, finally, the convenience of getting a book any time is really nice.

Now I have to decide whether or not to wait to see if there's any repricing due to the Nook or CES drives some price restructuring, etc. Or, just bite the bullet now. (I kinda wish Amazon continued to offer free 2-day shipping like they did at Christmas. It would probably push me over the edge.)

Mitch
Mitch G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
monkeypants
monkeypants began at the beginning.

Device: K2 on its way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G View Post
(I kinda wish Amazon continued to offer free 2-day shipping like they did at Christmas. It would probably push me over the edge.)
If they are still doing amazon prime trials, then you could sign up for that, and get free 2-day shipping for 30 days Just remember to cancel the trial membership when you're done with it. Though I have to say that I love having prime (but I share it with two other people so I don't pay full price for it).

I had much the same reaction to my kindle on Christmas, I am definitely loving it. Glad you like yours!
monkeypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX & Kindle (2011)
Welcome to our community.

Congratulations!
I got my Kindle DX on Christmas too.
Nathan Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
The refurbished models ARE offering free two day shipping

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...on=refurbished

Same warranty, same 30 day no questions asked return policy, just pay return shipping.

Members (I bought a refurbished k1) have noted that the readers look like new...........down to the plug covers and unused cords.....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:38 PM   #5
Stevo
Stevo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Members (I bought a refurbished k1) have noted that the readers look like new...........down to the plug covers and unused cords.....
I second that. I bought a refurbished Kindle 1 and it was brand new.
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2009, 03:33 PM   #6
Mitch G
Connoisseur
Mitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle
I hear ya on the refurbs - I'm a huge fan of the refurb route in general.
Although I don't see free 2-day shipping anymore - maybe you looked at a cached page.
Nonetheless, I suspect I'll find a way to justify buying one sooner rather than later.

Mitch
Mitch G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:23 PM   #7
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypants View Post
If they are still doing amazon prime trials, then you could sign up for that, and get free 2-day shipping for 30 days Just remember to cancel the trial membership when you're done with it. Though I have to say that I love having prime (but I share it with two other people so I don't pay full price for it).

I had much the same reaction to my kindle on Christmas, I am definitely loving it. Glad you like yours!
I did the same thing in early August when I ordered my KDX. I decided to pull the trigger just before Gen Con, so I could load all of my rpg books into it and carry that around rather than a huge pack full of large hardbacks, and I wanted it to get there quickly and not shell out any extra for such quick shipping. It worked like a charm!
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:27 PM   #8
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
I've owned a K1 refurb , KDX refurb, and now have (only) a K2 refurb. All were brand new.

Welcome to the Kindle club. You'll be glad you chose it over a Sony or nook. Amazon knows what they are doing.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:37 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Although I don't see free 2-day shipping anymore - maybe you looked at a cached page.
Nonetheless, I suspect I'll find a way to justify buying one sooner rather than later.

Mitch
So......did you try putting one in your cart? It will show the free 2 days shipping then(don't worry, unless you have "one click" enabled, you'll be able to remove it......IF it doesn't its still offering free super saver shipping, 3-5 business days.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:41 AM   #10
GoblinWriter
vizsla wrangler
GoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle 3G
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Mitch. I'm a gadget-lover, too, but have held off on the e-reader. I think I'm going to bite the bullet here pretty soon though. I'm leaning toward the Kindle but am checking out what folks have to say about other readers too.

Have you tried the read aloud feature yet? I love audiobooks but it costs a fortune downloading them through iTunes, and then you can't take notes easily if there's something you want to "underline." I am envisioning a cheesy stilted computer voice though and wonder if that would dampen the experience.
GoblinWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:50 AM   #11
julian1982
julian1982 began at the beginning.

Device: none
i own a kindle 2 and i cant read on it more than 20 minutes it has no contrast and is not even comparable to paper books.
julian1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:57 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoblinWriter View Post
Have you tried the read aloud feature yet? I love audiobooks but it costs a fortune downloading them through iTunes, and then you can't take notes easily if there's something you want to "underline." I am envisioning a cheesy stilted computer voice though and wonder if that would dampen the experience.
The "read aloud" feature certainly isn't a replacement for audiobooks. Yes, it is (by definition) a "stilted computer voice". It's understandable, though, if you don't mind the American accent.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:46 AM   #13
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Welcome to MobileRead, Mitch, and thanks for sharing your impressions with us! Happy holidays!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:17 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Please keep in mind that the Refurbished models currently offered by Amazon do NOT include the International Version.

What you are getting is the U.S. ONLY version.

You will have to decide whether that fact is important to YOUR buying decisions.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-28-2009 at 05:18 PM. Reason: verb tense
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:42 AM   #15
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:

Mitch
You get free super shipping savings with any order over 25 bucks. You won't get it in 2 days, but I've found that it never takes as long as they say it might either. If you want it quicker, shipping costs are not going to be that much. I ordered a kindle2 and cover before Christmas, one day overnight shipping and it was only 22 bucks, so normal shipping won't be much if you don't want super shipping savings.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote