Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-05-2010, 07:36 PM   #91
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittybye View Post
I'm not too sure if anyone has posted this point, if so sorry. But I was looking a Chapter's Kobo page and their books are compatible with the Nook. I'm afraid it does not help with WiFi but it does help for buying books, at least for Canadians.

http://www.kobobooks.com/devices
It can help with WiFi. You can softroot (hack) nook and then "stream" books via WiFi, for example from your "calibre" server.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:37 PM   #92
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky View Post
I am considering buying a Nook, even if I live in Switserland. I seems to me that I canuse the reader anyway, because it supports Epub among others and it accepts also german and dutch books.
Yes. And you can purchase from B&N via VPN as well.
Advert
Old 03-13-2010, 03:55 PM   #93
michbby
michbby began at the beginning.

Device: none
helpp?

hi

im really confused about the whole nook been used outside of the us, so i was wondering if someone could explain me step by step how can i be able to use the nook while living in panama city, central america. i would really appreciate the help!

thank you!
michbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:17 AM   #94
tablettweet
Connoisseur
tablettweet began at the beginning.

Device: IPad 1&2,IPod Touch 4G, DXG, Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle Touch
Be careful If you planing to buy Kindle DX instead of Kindle 2 for Magazine reading purpose. Because picture will not available in Kindle international version. (You can watch the Kindle DX global wireless review about this issue from stuff TV). If you decide to buy Kindle instead of Nook. I think Kindle 2 is a better choice.
tablettweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:42 AM   #95
tablettweet
Connoisseur
tablettweet began at the beginning.

Device: IPad 1&2,IPod Touch 4G, DXG, Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle Touch
Oh I've almost forgot If you interesting in Kindle, Maybe Sony will become your choice. Because Sony just drop their e-readers price. Sony digital reader touch edition just only 265 USD while Kindle 2 global wireless is 259 USD. So, Think about it !
tablettweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2010, 06:28 AM   #96
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by michbby View Post
hi

im really confused about the whole nook been used outside of the us, so i was wondering if someone could explain me step by step how can i be able to use the nook while living in panama city, central america. i would really appreciate the help!

thank you!
To sum it up, outside US, you cannot buy books direct from your Nook and you cannot use gprs/edge/3g connection at all. Apart from this, you can do the same things as others in US.

Here is what you can do on your Nook (out of the box) outside US:

1. off course, you can read epub, pdf, pdb ebooks

2. you can connect your Nook to your home wifi to, firstly, register your Nook, then browser B&N book store, and load the B&N Daily.

3. you can connect your Nook to outside wifi hotspot (with WEP, WPA key protection, but cannot connect if the hotspot requires you to enter login/password) to perform the same function as via home wifi

4. if you can purchase ebook from B&N, on your PC (you need some kind of vpn connection to pretend you surf web from US), you can later download the book to your Nook via wifi, or sideloading through USB connection.

5. you cannot use the stock AT&T sim card to access B&N bookstore; or it is useless outside US.

If you are willing to put a bit of effort for enhancing your Nook function, you have to "root" your Nook (details in separate discussion). Here is what can get from rooted Nook:

1. you can use your local SIM card + your GPRS/EDGE/3G contract to make connection to B&N store, like what you can do with wifi connection; but 3G signal is everywhere and much easier to make connection on the road.

2. you can install Nookbrowser for surfing simple website, most suitable for mobile website, e.g. twitter, yahoo/gmail, wiki. Though, your Nook can now open the more complex website, it is limited by the narrow portrait screen. (With Nookbrowser, you can save webpages for offline reading on Nook too). This websurfing can be done with wifi (or 3g connection, if you set up properly for your local SIM card)

3. you can install Trook for rss feed online reading (via 3g or wifi)

4. you can have a more advanced book library functions when compared with the stock book library, e.g. sort my first/last author name, cover flow for both B&N and non-B&N ebooks

5. you can have file manager which allows you to manage files/folders inside your Nook, instead of having to do it on your PC only (e.g. deleting books on Nook).

6. you can replace the interface fonts with your own fonts.

7. For Asian people like myself, I can install Asian fonts in order to view asian language website and rss feeds (Asian language support for ebook content needs a separate treatment)

I'm not sure I miss anything. Hope you have some broad idea what you can or cannot do with your Nook outside US.

Last edited by bthoven; 03-30-2010 at 06:38 AM.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:06 AM   #97
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I am using AlwaysVPN and am in Australia. I have entered a US address for shipment and put in my Australian credit card details into the account. I have purchased gift certificates successfully. I have purchased an ebook, using VPN and the amount has been deducted from the gift certificate but I cannot download the book as it doesnt like my credit card. Even though the money has been taken from the gift certificate. Any ideas?
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:55 AM   #98
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
This is not an answer to your question .. but why are you buying gift certificates for yourself to buy books why not just use your Australian Credit Card?

I use both alwaysVPN and hotshield (depends which one I click at the time) at the time of purchase (I use an AUstralian IP address at the time of download) I have an Australian credit card and I used an US address for the account and I have no problems buying books or even downloading them. I believe they only check IP address at the time of purchase and nothing else.
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:13 PM   #99
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I would like to just use the credit card but it wont accept it for buying ebooks (but did to buy the gift card). I am using the alwaysVPN for the complete transaction. The amounts have been deducted from the gift cards, and the books appear in the PC and iphone BN reader but it wont allow me to download them as I havent verified the credit card! Yet the same credit card allowed me to buy the gift cards in the first place. BN sent me this stupid email saying I can only read them on a BN reader. Duh, I know that, but even the BN reader cant read them. And I have put a US address to the credit card as well. Maybe they have stopped this? My IP address shows I am in New York.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #100
JGL51
JGL51 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Nook the Crook!

I bought a Nook late December and got it in February as gift. Unfortunately we both live abroad and the saga we are going through is ridiculous. I am even surprised there is no class action yet against N&N, if only from all US citizens working or serving (military) abroad.
A lot of it has been written in this forum.
Just to register the unit it took three months to finally get a reply. As a side comment you need version 2.0 software for registering via WiFi (works from overseas).
Then you get a first joy as you get three free e-books. Then come the cold shower as you cannot even download FREE ebooks available on B&N site.
The icing on the cake is a customer service with average IQ negative.
Live Amazon!!!
JGL51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:40 PM   #101
dugong
Enthusiast
dugong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dugong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dugong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dugong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dugong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
The Nook ereader can display Irish correctly, with its accent marks correctly displayed, but there is a problem with the new software. In the list of titles in the Library, it no longer handles accent marks.

For instance I have an Irish translation of The Adventures of Alice in Wonderland. The title used to be displayed as "Eachtraí Eilíse i dTír na nIontas" which is correct. After the "improvement was downloaded, the title is now displayed as "Eachtrañ Eilñse i dTÃ-r na nIontas".

I hope this is an oversight and can be straightened out soon.
dugong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:09 PM   #102
Darch
Darch began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all of the info about the nook. I have a question that I think is a bit different from the above. I will be moving to Africa for a year and I'm looking to buy a nook in the US before I leave. If I do so and I take the nook to Africa, can I have someone buy a book from B&N from the US on my account and then download it to my nook using the usb cable? I don't know how great wifi will be over there so I'm trying to come up with other solutions.
Darch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:09 AM   #103
Khai
Enthusiast
Khai began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darch View Post
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all of the info about the nook. I have a question that I think is a bit different from the above. I will be moving to Africa for a year and I'm looking to buy a nook in the US before I leave. If I do so and I take the nook to Africa, can I have someone buy a book from B&N from the US on my account and then download it to my nook using the usb cable? I don't know how great wifi will be over there so I'm trying to come up with other solutions.
You don't necessarily have to be in the US to buy books from B&N. If you have a working computer with Internet access, get alwaysVPN or Hotspot Shield, get behind them and use any credit card with a US address and then load the purchased book via the USB cable.

To answer you straight, if you have a computer with Internet and the cable, yes, you can.
Khai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:43 AM   #104
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
This is not an answer to your question .. but why are you buying gift certificates for yourself to buy books why not just use your Australian Credit Card?

I use both alwaysVPN and hotshield (depends which one I click at the time) at the time of purchase (I use an AUstralian IP address at the time of download) I have an Australian credit card and I used an US address for the account and I have no problems buying books or even downloading them. I believe they only check IP address at the time of purchase and nothing else.
Same here: German credit card. No problems at all.
Forgot VPN twice, the respective purchases got cancelled (unfortunately, those books still show in my library, I can't delete them).
Old 05-04-2010, 11:27 AM   #105
crsheilah
Connoisseur
crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Velocity Cruz T103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darch View Post
Hello Everyone,

I have had no experience trying this, it was posted on another forum and I'd appreciate hearing from anyone living in a non-US country who does try it. It would eliminate all those problems of booksellers not willing to sell ebooks outside the U.S. and also allow you to watch U.S. TV programs which I haven't been able to do in Costa Rica.

You use AOL

1. Download AOL Desktop (free) and signup for a free account
2. Install it
3. Change your connection settings for the software, chose "connect options" go to the broadband tab, and from the top left chose "add broadband profile" then for the settings chose connection type: Home Network that is all you need to change.
4. Connect using these new settings, you should now have a USA IP Address
5. In your browser go to whatsmyip address website and you can check to make sure you have a USA IP

Works for me, sometimes I have to restart my computer or modem because AOL won't connect sometimes.

Another alternative which is good also but costs $10/month is strongvpn.com use their "lite open" package there are other security benefits to using a VPN over AOL. They will give you a San Francisco or other USA IP so you can watch Hulu and the other ones like ABC, NBC, Fox, etc.
crsheilah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
b&n, barnes and noble, international, nook, overseas