Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-04-2009, 06:42 AM   #16
Lyanna
Lyanna began at the beginning.

Device: none
Received it yesterday and have been reading with it under various light conditions: in bed with a bedlight on, and on the couch in daylight.

Yes, there is a noticeable reflection. Not that that bothers me I find, because while I am reading I actually do not notice it anymore. I had expected the background to be a little lighter than the gray it is now, but since this is my first ereader I have no basis of comparison.

Bottomline, I am happy with it. I wanted something with a touchscreen, and in that regard the device works very well. Let's put it this way: I think the advantage of having a touchscreen device outweighs the disadvantage of the reflection coming with it. But that's of course a highly personal opinion.
Lyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:22 AM   #17
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The issue here is the word glare. I use the word glare to mean the light bouncing back from the screen. I use the word reflection to mean how mirror like the screen is. And looking at the 600, it has more reflection and less glare then the 300/505.
You have a disturbing misunderstanding of what a reflection is. Reflection of light is the light bouncing back from the surface... You're seriously discrediting yourself by constantly attacking the correct usage of the word glare all because you personally try to differentiate the properties of one reflective surface vs. another by using two words which have similar if not the same definitions behind them...

That said!

I've used LCD monitors for years, since they were available basically, and it wasn't until last year that, after being concerned about the quality level of a high priced purchase I started paying close attention to quality details. I never even realized before that time that certain types of panels will demonstrate an illusion of gradient when viewed from the center, from one side to the other. Seriously, I never once noticed this pattern before someone pointed it out. Now... I cannot stand large TN panels because they all have this effect to some degree.

The point is, aspects of a display, such as this level of reflectivity, whether it's clear or blurred, is not going to irritate most people because they won't even think about it! You're all so concerned about the problem which brings it to the forefront of your mind and forces you to not only notice it, but, to look for it intentionally. So now, instead of trying to read on your PRS-600, you're really trying to find the glare! I am currently using a Kindle 2. I used to have a PRS-505. After getting concerned about the poor display of the PRS-700 and potentially the 600, I actually realized I had never even considered whether the Kindle 2 has these issues. I went back and with that in mind, I now realize that with direct light, I cannot see the words on the screen with my Kindle 2. It reflects the light right into my eyes. It's diffused light so it doesn't look like a specific reflection, but it's there nonetheless. I have to adjust my Kindle 2's angle to avoid this problem. The only difference between now and before I thought about it is that before, I was doing this adjustment subconsciously.

The fact is, all of these screens are reflective. That is the ENTIRE POINT. The difference is a matter of how diffused the light will be on the surface, and how conscious of the reflection you are. Even the PRS-505 is very reflective, but, because the surface doesn't diffuse the light much at all, you can still clearly see the words on the screen in that reflection, and though you might be blinding yourself staring at a mirror of the Sun, it's still readable.

Ultimately, on the device you don't notice this "glare" but you still see nice contrast and "bright" clear display, you're just damaging your eyes instead of noticing the problem. So, in a way, these diffused displays are helping you to avoid shining bright lights directly into your eyes. Maybe you should be grateful for that

At the end of the day, even with the glare, these displays are vastly better than trying to read a transparent or transflective LCD in brightly light areas (such as outside) or for long periods of time. I'm personally happy to adjust the angle slightly to eliminate the glare in exchange for the featureset of the devices. The PRS-600 does seem remarkably clearer than the PRS-700, and to me that's what really matters. I can only hope the PRS-2121 is also clear because that's the device I'm really interested in at this point.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2009, 10:44 AM   #18
jswinden
Nameless Being

I agree.

I bought a Sony Vaio last year that had the now standard glossy screen. It is difficult to find a laptop without a glossy screen. But I did get a HP Mini 110 that has a matte finish on the screen. The difference between these two screens is EXTREMELY noticeable. The glossy screens are like mirrors and difficult to read in most lighting situation, whereas the matte screens seem readable in any light situation.

Having said that, the screen differences on the 600 versus the Kindles, the 300, and the 505 are NOT extreme. Different yes, but not a deal killer as far as I'm concerned.

I also agree that the incorrect semantics would best be dropped as that has nothing to do with the screen quality. Arguing through sematics is useless to the thread.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #19
meiko
meiko began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
Reflective screen - is there a matte film that can be applied?

In my enthusiasm for the PRS-350 - which I explained to friends, was the only device I had come across which became clearer in direct sunlight - I gave mine away and bought the PRS-600. Went on holiday in the Caribbean and couln't read a word on it!
It is almost amusing to consider that Sony, having produced such an excellent device for reading, then consider it an improvement to reduce screen visibility!
Iam now looking for an adhesive matt film I can stick over it - or anyone out there who would like to swop it for the price of the original one I gave away?

I can't believe that in the 21st Century we are still squinting at screens instead of persuing reflection reducing surfaces for these devices.

Maybe the technology has been bought and locked away by the manufacturers of specs and eye wrinkle removal cream?
meiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:02 PM   #20
meiko

Well, I appreciate the technical debate about glare and/or reflectivity, but revert to my original point - that the PRS-350 amazed me with regard to its clarity in a sunny outside environment. The PRS-600 amazed me for its lack of clarity in similar conditions - to the extent that I found it impossible to comfortably read - even with the text enlarged.
However it be achieved, surely these portable devices ought to be fitted with screens we can see clearly in an external environment - because that is precisely what they were meant to be - devices we used to use only in our offices but which we can carry around. When on the hoof, how often are we indoors?
Back to my query. Does anyone know of an easy solution to redue the glare from a shiney screen? Would a matte film do the job? Does such a product exist?
Advert
Old 01-12-2010, 05:21 PM   #21
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
news flash.. any shiny object can and will reflect light possibly resulting in reflected images and/or glare.

do people not think that if sony could cut glare, increase visibility, and give the reader levitation abilities they would not do so? seriously.

yes. XXXX eBook device has glare/poor battery life/non-color screen/missing YYY feature i want NOW

these devices are in their infancy. the screens these days are horrible compared to what we'll have in 5 years. there isn't backlighting. there is poor battery life. they are slow. they have poor contrast. if you get a reader and it's not the unit for you, send it back, return it, sell it on ebay/craigslist/local flea market.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:10 PM   #22
faregran
faregran began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch PRS-600
The glare on the PRS 600 killed my puppies and buried them.

No, seriously, it's like cars: two different models for different things. Both of them are for reading, but in different contexts: touch screen or less reflections. Just like trucks and familiar cars, both are for driving.

Someday we'll have a familiar truck. Until now, my option is on touch screen because I really need to take notes. Make your choice and don't try to push the other drivers out of the road.
faregran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:35 AM   #23
badpool
badpool began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300 (formerly PRS-600)
The PRS-600 definitely was not for me. I got one for Christmas, used it for a week in various conditions, and just couldn't justify keeping it. It is a damn near perfect reading device in every way - except for the actual readability of the screen. I tried to convice myself that the glare (or rather "light diffusion") was worth suffering for in order to have the search, dictionary, and faster page turning.

In the end I exchanged it for a 300 and I'm very happy I did. Easier to read and easier to hold in one hand while standing on the bus. For the price difference between the models, I'll probably be able to get something vastly better than the 600 in 1 or 2 years anyway...
badpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:22 AM   #24
Levelpart
Levelpart began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
I got mine yesterday and the glare isn't an issue for me as long as I'm reading under a good light source. I tried it under direct sunlight and it looks perfect though you have to tilt it to find the best position and if you read with a good lamp there's no glare.
Levelpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:24 AM   #25
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by badpool View Post
The PRS-600 definitely was not for me. I got one for Christmas, used it for a week in various conditions, and just couldn't justify keeping it. It is a damn near perfect reading device in every way - except for the actual readability of the screen. I tried to convice myself that the glare (or rather "light diffusion") was worth suffering for in order to have the search, dictionary, and faster page turning.

In the end I exchanged it for a 300 and I'm very happy I did. Easier to read and easier to hold in one hand while standing on the bus. For the price difference between the models, I'll probably be able to get something vastly better than the 600 in 1 or 2 years anyway...
I held out longer than you (since the end of October), but I gave in this weekend as well for exactly the same reason. I'm back to the 505, although I might get a 300 for my "pocket" - they are £129 in the UK at the moment!

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:18 PM   #26
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjbrown View Post
I held out longer than you (since the end of October), but I gave in this weekend as well for exactly the same reason. I'm back to the 505, although I might get a 300 for my "pocket" - they are £129 in the UK at the moment!

amjb
Unfortunately, I also must chime in about returning the PRS-600.

I have very dry eyes (due irregular blink pattern and the remnants of Grave's disease). The PRS-600 was making my eyes burn SO bad! Eye drops didn't help - the only thing that didn't help was not reading. Yeah, like THAT'S going to happen.

I did not want to admit it was the PRS-600. Man, I loved that thing! The size, the feel, the touchscreen (!), the memory storage ... etc. Oh, and the access to library books?! Awesome! I was so excited and was reading like a wild woman (on college break - lots of free time).

I was in Wal-Mart and saw the PRS-300. Looked at the screen and saw how clear the text was. Wondered if maybe it would help my eyes (did not want to give up the convenience of an ereader).

I bought the PRS-300 and brought it home. In direct comparison with the PRS-600, yes, the 300 is w-a-y more crisp/clear.

I've been reading on the 300 for a week now. No burning eyes. It definitely was the fuzzy type on the 600...

I was lucky that I was able to return the PRS-600 for full price (yay!).

Now, I'm STILL reading like a wild woman - but with pain-free eyes.

Marilyn

P.S. Don't get me wrong - I loved every feature on the PRS-600. I just couldn't use it... YMMV.
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:22 PM   #27
meiko

O.K.
I think the concensus is that the PRS-600 has a screen far less readable than the earlier models? Whether it is glare, reflection or whatever, the device is lacking. It is a retrograde step to produce an electronic book that is less legible than the previous models. It has nothing to do with psychology - it is deficient, it is a deceptive product in that it was advertised as an improvement on the previous models and infact it has reduced capabilities in its main requirement - readability. Script cannot be read when there is bright light playing onto the screen, but can on earlier models.
Those having bought one but want an Ebook reader that does its job, have not only the problem of the financial waste, they have to take a step back in technology - discard the sleeker more modern model and carry what is now an older version. How many of you would like to be seen with the old brick-sized mobile phone....? I can't recall a recent similar instance of this in technology.
I remain amazed at the tolerance of people, being willing to tilt and squint or convince themselves it is their brain leading them to concentrate on the distortion rather than the image... and at Sony for producing it.
I have contacted a company who manufacture matted film screen protectors, maybe they can help. If so I will revert...
Old 01-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #28
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by meiko View Post
I have contacted a company who manufacture matted film screen protectors, maybe they can help. If so I will revert...
Few people have tried that if you dig around the forums with a search. Consensus was no improvement.

I think it depends on your environment. If you have always used a Mighty Bright (or whatever they are called!) you'll have found the 600 a big step forward. If you are used to enjoying your 505 by a dim bedside light, then no amount of tilting will make you happy. There are many, many situations in between.

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:26 AM   #29
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Writing my first short story: Guardian Angel
Well, I just got back from the library where they started lending PRS-600's. I was really excited as now I wouldn't have to drive 30 minutes to get Bebook Mini or Cybook Opus.

Got home, turned it on in the kitchen and was instantly distracted by the reflective screen. As there is light coming from all directions in my house, there was always annoying reflection of outdoor light no matter where I read.

In addition to Bookathon's trial while combing hair, I also tried it while making coffee, taking a pee, walking out my dog, putting on my socks and flipping through channels on my TV. I always saw a reflection of myself.

I also showed it to my 6 and 7 years old daughters and they thought it was a mirror. My wife started to use it for make-up. My neighbor wasn't home so I couldn't confirm the reflection.

Anyway, for those who have seen ebook readers on the net and this one is their first one, I bet it suits them well. For the rest of us, this reflection issue is terrible I bet. I rather press keys to navigate than have a touch screen with as horrible reflection as this one.
spaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:29 AM   #30
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Writing my first short story: Guardian Angel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levelpart View Post
and it looks perfect though you have to tilt it to find the best position
Sounds like you got a satellite dish there

"Find a perfect angle for perfect signal"
spaze is offline   Reply With Quote