Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-10-2009, 02:36 PM   #1
AdamGott
Connoisseur
AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle/iPad
battery life on a new 505?

My wife got me a PRS-505 for my birthday a couple of weeks ago and I notice that the battery doesn't last for more than a week without a recharge. From what I have read here I should get about three weeks per charge? I have only done light reading on the reader, probably about 2-3 hours total over the week.
AdamGott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
That seems really fast. I use the 505 about 2-3 hours a day, and it takes almost a week before it drops a bar on the charge meter. The lowest I've ever had it was at half power, which took a couple of weeks. This is also using either a SD card or Memory Stick. Are you sure it's charging completely?
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2009, 03:01 PM   #3
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Definitely charge it overnight (to ensure a full charge), and preferably through the ROUND ac power jack (the round yellow one), NOT the mini-usb port! You can buy a cheap Sony PSP charger anywhere, or use a PSP data/power cable to charge from a laptop or any usb port.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:24 PM   #4
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Also--If you're charging via USB with your computer, make sure the red light stays lit. If the red light goes out, it means it's not charging anymore. I've noticed that on my system, if I close the Sony software or click the icon to disconnect my reader that my reader will quit charging and the connection then actually starts draining power.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:47 PM   #5
spiggo89
spiggo89 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Also--If you're charging via USB with your computer, make sure the red light stays lit. If the red light goes out, it means it's not charging anymore. I've noticed that on my system, if I close the Sony software or click the icon to disconnect my reader that my reader will quit charging and the connection then actually starts draining power.

dordale
Actually, due to the way USB is designed it is impossible for the port itself to drain power just from being plugged in. If the device goes flat it is because it is still on itself. If your device is losing power from simply being plugged into a USB port I'd suggest taking it to a repair centre to be checked out.
spiggo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2009, 05:47 PM   #6
AdamGott
Connoisseur
AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle/iPad
I have a PSP already so I will try and charge it with that tonight and see if that makes a difference. I know that I have some USB issues with the computer that I normally used to charge my 505 so maybe that was it. I really don't want to go through the hassle of returning it!
AdamGott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:51 PM   #7
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamGott View Post
My wife got me a PRS-505 for my birthday a couple of weeks ago and I notice that the battery doesn't last for more than a week without a recharge. From what I have read here I should get about three weeks per charge? I have only done light reading on the reader, probably about 2-3 hours total over the week.
Also don't be deceived by the 7000 page turns battery duration claim. It is not real (unless, maybe, if you turn the 7000 pages during the first day after charging). The device drains the battery slowly while powered off. I found that using it everyday, it will last 3000 pages more or less (which is still a lot).
BTW, I haven't got a wall charger, I always charge using the usb cable. In my opinion, there's no need for the wall charger.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:48 PM   #8
Cassy
Zealot
Cassy began at the beginning.

Device: Silver Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiggo89 View Post
Actually, due to the way USB is designed it is impossible for the port itself to drain power just from being plugged in. If the device goes flat it is because it is still on itself. If your device is losing power from simply being plugged into a USB port I'd suggest taking it to a repair centre to be checked out.
Mine also drains power if plugged into USB but has stopped charging. I'm pretty sure this is normal? I've heard it so much anyway
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:33 AM   #9
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy View Post
Mine also drains power if plugged into USB but has stopped charging. I'm pretty sure this is normal? I've heard it so much anyway
I think so Cassy--I've noticed when I leave mine plugged in to my computer after "ejecting" it, it certainly drains. It can start out almost full and if I forget and leave it plugged in for a couple hours it'll be down to only one bar on the battery.

I'm not concerned that there is a problem, because as long as I remember to unplug it after "ejecting" my battery life is perfectly normal.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:28 PM   #10
gbatch
gbatch began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Had the same issue and just figured out the charge through USB wasn't really getting it done. Bought a charger and seems like I can go at least 3 weeks before it goes to half charge reading it 2+ hours every day.
gbatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:39 AM   #11
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I think so Cassy--I've noticed when I leave mine plugged in to my computer after "ejecting" it, it certainly drains.
Same here - the red LED does go off when 'ejected', but unless you're checking for it, it's not obvious.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:39 PM   #12
Evi1d33d
Enthusiast
Evi1d33d began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-505
A PSP charging cable is the way to go since the reader will be off when you are charging it.
Evi1d33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:23 PM   #13
horseflesh
horseflesh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
My model 500 has never had good battery life. Left by itself, it will go dead after a week of disuse. It will also need recharging after maybe 1500 pages. (That's with no memory card inserted.)

No kind of special charge/discharge regimen or software reset has made a difference.
horseflesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:43 PM   #14
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post
My model 500 has never had good battery life. Left by itself, it will go dead after a week of disuse. It will also need recharging after maybe 1500 pages. (That's with no memory card inserted.)

No kind of special charge/discharge regimen or software reset has made a difference.
Death after a week of disuse is normal. The 1500 pages duration is not normal, mine lasts around 3000 page turns in 10-15 days.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:15 PM   #15
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post

The 500 is a little older and the battery may be dying on you.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote