Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 04-17-2008, 11:42 AM   #16
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That is the best reason for wanting to have support for HC SD cards. Its not some "I've downloaded thousands of eBooks from the darknet and want them all online at one time" type excuse.
Darknet? You mean there's a *BETTER* source of "free" ebooks than #bookz over at IRC?!? Why wasn't I TOLD!!!

Ummm... I've got nearly a thousand ebooks on my machines, purchased one at a time, from such sources as Fictionwise, Baen, BooksOnBoard, eReader, Mobipocket... Shall I continue? I need the higher-density cards!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:47 AM   #17
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How long did it take for you to get these hundreds (or more) pBooks?

The iLiad can handle CF memory cards larger then 2gig. Also, if you have a 505, you can use larger then 2gig if you use a memory stick. Plus you can also put in a 2gig SD card at the same time for 10gig combined.

But, I was talking about the current crop of 6" screen based devices. I know the 9.7" screens will be much better for larger images and PDF. So there could very well be the need for more then a 2gig SD card.

I was also talking about todays 6" screen based readers where the interfaces are not all that wonderful organizing content. The Sony is not bad overall and collections do help a lot plus the new menu options for finding content. But what I've read of the Gen3, it needs a bit of work. I'm hoping that the interface on the 9.7" devices makes it a lot easier to manage content in quantity.
Quite honestly, if the Cybook (or any eink reader for that matter) had a really great folder nav system and support for 16GB cards, I'd put ALL my ebooks on and never take them off! I can't tell you how many times I've re-read the W.E.B. Griffin series, "The Corps". And then there are my individual favorites - L. Neil's "Tom Paine Maru", David Weber's "Empire from the Ashes", Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" (That one was a bear to scan in, let me tell you!).

I'm looking forward to the day when I can reasonably expect to have my complete fiction library, my technical library and my non-fiction general reading library at my fingertips on my eInk reader.

Derek
Advert
Old 04-17-2008, 11:50 AM   #18
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
I'm looking forward to the day when I can reasonably expect to have my complete fiction library, my technical library and my non-fiction general reading library at my fingertips on my eInk reader.
The way tech moves these days it's probably not that far away. Espessially if .epub catches on since it is a compressed container and text compresses very well.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:50 AM   #19
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I have a 4gb card in my iLiad, and I might end up going for a larger card soon. I have a lot of PDF journal articles, and I will undoubtedly accumulate more as I start in seriously on my dissertation. (These are quite readable on the iLiad.) I also have manga (including PDF graphic novels from Wowio), and I prefer to have my entire fiction library on the card, as I don't have room to store many pbooks and I like to re-read favorite bits of many, many books.

In addition, the iLiad supports other applications, and I have several installed. Those also take up space.

I think that's four good reasons to want a large CF card. Whether anyone else thinks those are good reasons is up to them, of course, but they are good enough reasons for me, and it's my reader and my card, so I guess I get to decide.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:51 AM   #20
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I agree it would be nifty to have everything on my Reader in a way I could get to it easily. Speaking for myself, though, I'd put it more on the order of convenience than need. I expect that's why I don't find the management I have to do with the present arrangement to be particularly onerous.

Again, that's just speaking for myself.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2008, 11:56 AM   #21
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiBill View Post
Once we’ve tackled the browse/index problems, I will be able to understand the need. But I am not expecting to see the above happen in these first generation readers – And I’ll be happy to see them implemented as early as in the third (when I hope to be buying my next).
Well, you can always have them hidden or last in the list and just move them if you want to read them.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:57 AM   #22
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I agree it would be nifty to have everything on my Reader in a way I could get to it easily. Speaking for myself, though, I'd put it more on the order of convenience than need. I expect that's why I don't find the management I have to do with the present arrangement to be particularly onerous.

Again, that's just speaking for myself.
I find that I can tolerate the lack of folder navigation as I have seven SD cards into which I've sorted my ebooks. But I'm constantly misplacing them! And it always seems as if the next book I want to read is always in the last SD card I check!

Yes, I'll survive, but I want quality of life, damnit!

Derek
Old 04-17-2008, 11:58 AM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
And it always seems as if the next book I want to read is always in the last SD card I check!
Um, it always will be by definition... since you stop looking once you find it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:00 PM   #24
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
And it always seems as if the next book I want to read is always in the last SD card I check!
That bothers you? There's a simple solution: keep checking cards after you find what you're after, then it won't be in the "last" place you look.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:07 PM   #25
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Of course, it would be silly to check another card after you've found the book you want
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:12 PM   #26
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
That bothers you? There's a simple solution: keep checking cards after you find what you're after, then it won't be in the "last" place you look.
There's a thought! Now let me think... Would it be better to implement a single search of all my cards? No, because if it's in card seven I'll have violated my plan. So maybe I should just do a Do-While loop? Could work, but as I've not set up end conditions I'd never stop searching. Double-plus Ungood! I'd never get to reading! I know, I'll do a three-iteration For-Next search. Guaranteed to find the book, and not have where I find it be the "last place I look", but will end soon enough for me to get back to reading!

Of course, I'll have to set up some sort of safeguard. After all, in all this searching and looping, I *might* forget which one of the cards I found the book.

Derek
Old 04-17-2008, 12:31 PM   #27
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
I understand the desire to have them all on one card, but given the current limitations with navigating to the book you want, I just don't understand why it's such a big deal to use several cards. To me it seems so much easier to have them on different cards and thereby limit the number of library pages. If you're in the middle of reading a book and don't want to lose your place, put that one on the cybook memory, not on a card.

There's also books which have a lot of images - these would take up a lot of disk space without creating a lot of library pages. So that's kind of a different thing. Still, 2gb is a lot of space.

I'm not against better navigation and larger cards, but with the current abilities of the cybook, I think you're just making it unnecessarily hard on yourself by putting thousands of books on your cybook at one time.

And here's an idea (if you have so many books and cards you can't keep track): You can create a simple text file listing what books are on what card and keep that file on the cybook memory.

Last edited by cmbs; 04-17-2008 at 12:37 PM.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:54 PM   #28
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
And to be honest, where are you going to get thousands of eBooks but from the darknet.
Well, there's the 10k ebook DVD from blackmask. How many ebooks are on that DVD, again?

And then in my collection there is the 250 or so I have from Fictionwise, the 150+ I have from Baen, and the 500+ I got here. And that doesn't include the hundred or so freebies I've found.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:25 PM   #29
Striking Claw
Enthusiast
Striking Claw doesn't litterStriking Claw doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3, ILiad, HP hx4700
I think this is a strange discussion on a forum for ebook readers. You could just as well ask why does anybody need an ebook reader when there are so many paper books around which are much cheaper to by than an ebook reader.

Why is it so difficult to accept that everybody is using his ebook reader differently and therefore has different needs.
I'm also one of those users who wants to put every ebook owned on a single card so that I can access my whole library whenever I want.
Currently I own several hundred ebooks each and everyone payed for. All of them fit on a 2GB Card but my library is growing day by day.
Striking Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:33 PM   #30
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Well, there's the 10k ebook DVD from blackmask. How many ebooks are on that DVD, again?
10698 :-).
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2gb, memory, sd card, sdhc